UT3 Patch 3 In The Works, Features Slowly Being Revealed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Apathy.

Jan 24, 2008
  • Show enemy names.. I would love to know who I'm gunning down (Like every other UT) No idea why this was removed.
  • Being able to use a different name other than the one you have to use to log into gamespy.. It was done in a mutator, so I know it's at least possible...
  • More crosshairs to choose from in the menu.
  • Go to spectator while in game.. Not just being able to join from spectator.
  • Add an options to reduce/turn off the bloom/blur/DepthofField (Like GoWPC has) IMO it's done very nicely on some maps, but other, it makes my eyes feel like they're going to bleed, or burn out of my sockets.
  • Add in the ability to dodge up slopes again (Like every other UT had before)
  • Make all the vehicles louder so I can actually hear them (Before they're running me down)
  • One of the Epic devs said they added the charge meter on the bender, but it somehow bugged out of the game.. Bring it back!
  • The "Simple" Crosshair needs an indication that someone is grappled onto you. It doesn't have one at all
  • One of the skinnier female models has a polygon missing from her buttocks. She needs it put back!
  • Make it so 2048 res textures are actually 2048 res (Like CliffyB said it could do).. Not reduced down to 1024 for whatever reason. My PC can handle it!!
  • Malcolm/Malcom (whichever you prefer) is in a ton of cut scenes, findable in the INI files and is on the website as a usable character.. Is he actually going to become a selectable character?
  • Xan Kregor? :(
I'll add more when I think of them lol :)

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Of course. We would have more populated servers if it weas a decent release.

God forbid.

:lol::lol::lol:
but then the forums would be empty as too many people would be out there playing instead of complaining ;) :lol:

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
<frag on>
Im agreed with jafo said less complaining and more fragging you all guys knows perfectly Epic is going slowly to solve all fails that community had reported for it....
</frag off>

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
I'd rather have a game that wasn't so buggy that it needed support.
That way we'd have more bonuspacks ...

You should also realise that you're actually telling Epic that they did the right thing by releasing the game before it was finished ...
// ---

You know, I thought about including the "solid release + solid followup >" at the start of my equation, but figured I shouldn't have to elaborate on it.

Obviously solid launch + solid followup encompasses all. I never said a shaky release is a good thing. I'm just trying to be a little positive here, by saying that not a lot of games receive proper post-release development these days, and the best way to excuse a rush release is to fix it up in post.

Agent_5

Replica?
Jan 24, 2004
UT
the voting menu:

• needs a map preview option
  • needs to be able to start voting mid-game
  • should switch to a given map once enough votes have been recorded. It should not wait for the timer to hit zero when the majority - if not all players - have already voted for a given map.
  • needs the ability to switch gametypes and allow player kick voting
  • doesn't need the list of players on the right side - that can go.
  • a chat window would be nice also

[EDIT]Forgot a few things that aren't related to the vote menu:

1)A server option to randomize teams every match
2) the colon/semicolon problem with ingame text - it's not that big a deal, but I don't think it'd be that hard to fix either.

Last edited:

Trailboss3

If it moves...Kill it!
Aug 22, 2004
Maybe someone at Epic can correct me if I'm wrong, but I always wait for the smoke that emanates from the barrel after firing to dissipate before considering the gun 'charged' for a second shot. Seems to work pretty well, so I always assumed that was the intention.

If I remember correctly, they said that there was actually a charge indicator for the Bender but it got broken sometime before the release and just hasn't been fixed yet.

Who knows :(

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Players now listed in the Server Browser

I know exactly what this is, but whenever I read this, all I can think about is "There is suddenly more people playing" :D

Ballin'

Apr 4, 2008
keep em coming! work VERY hard on this one!

regrettably, no matter what you guys do, some people will always say "if this was done during release, it would have done very well" i agree, but we must let go and move on.

gj!

o and, please allow copy/paste, do NOT let deathmatch be the default filter! less menu load time (mine takes longer than a map, great comp too), crosshairs, graphics option to remove such things as blur, and better webadmin!

i can't think of anything else :eek:

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
the voting menu:

• needs a map preview option
  • needs to be able to start voting mid-game
  • should switch to a given map once enough votes have been recorded. It should not wait for the timer to hit zero when the majority - if not all players - have already voted for a given map.
  • needs the ability to switch gametypes and allow player kick voting
  • doesn't need the list of players on the right side - that can go.
  • a chat window would be nice also

Give map vote with all of these options to "Listen" servers. In UT '04 I used to run a dedicated server and play as a second session on the same machine. UT3 won't let me do that, so, no map vote available. It should be a standard feature to make on-line play more enjoyable.

Patsui

Apr 16, 2008
Who the hell comes up with this stuff???

Hello. I come from the competitive scene of ut3. There are alot of things I've encountered that really need to be fixed.

What I'd like to see is:

- Fix Airrockets not doing damage although they hit on your screen.
- Fix Flakballs not doing damage although they hit on your screen.
- Fix bio secondary not doing damage although it hits your opponent on your screen.
- Fix Invisible bio blobs on the ground (happens when you shoot it and it explodes on your screen but not on the server)
- Fix Shock rifle beam disappearing when trying to shoot it fast after a secondary shot. (you only hear the sound but see nothing)
- Fix "shooting blanks" which means that when u switch to a picked up weapon and start firing fast you only hear the sound but no bullets come out (stinger primary, bio secondary, rockets, flak, shock, probably all weapons)
- Fix picking up your own dropped weapon/powerup freezes whole pc/UT3.
- Allow copypasting to console.
- UI. no. NO!! ( it is so bad I can't believe it, but I guess u know already what's the problem)
- Allow players to join game from spectator and vice versa.
- DEMO PLAYBACK. W T F??? Why can't Epic make this work. "there will be no support for demo playback." Well why did you even implement the whole tab to the menus? come on. Client side demos do not work. Serverside demos are buggy (no sound from your own weapon, wrong weapon displaying on the screen etc.)
- Binding something through the inis requires alot of work.
- (the krall, or crocodile skin has ****ed up hitboxes, fix em)
- Telefraggin in team deathmatch ( example: 2 guys jump on the belt at the same time and one telefrags the other (prolly a netcode feature once again))

What we will probably get:

- Added KM/H or MP/H Meters to vehicles so you can see your speed!!
- Added Bots taunt hoolahoop some times when they kill you!! RADIICAL!!
- Enlarged female bots' boobs.
- Fixed something irrelevant to anybody on some useless GFX map that no one plays.
- Another one of those.
- Added Mark Rein's face flashing on your screen whenever your rockets dont register.
- Added the option for a 3rd passenger on vehicles, one that can bitch at you for driving the wrong way, just to bring some more in-depth experiences for all the rally fans.

Anyways I guess the netcode stuff is unfixable seeing that Epic just copied it from their earlier UT's (UT1 had the same rocket bug), but the others should be looked at. I'm not really optimistic about these getting fixed, I guess Epic can just brush it off by saying "It's Unreal, anything can happen!".:lol:

Last edited:

semeku

Apr 8, 2008
As Patsui already posted, most of these issues are quite annoying, as they happen quite often. And will most likely STILL be ignored even after so long after the initial launch of the game. Anyways, my tiny little emo soul inside is still hoping for a change. Don't let me down, epic. And if you do, at least provide some razors.

One very annoying feature is that you can't really paste IPs to the console. Sure, I know of the exec feature... but what if you're using SKUT3 to launch the game? And the server is full or just changed map and you were disconnected. Can't just type 'exec filename' to reconnect to the server, you have to close UT3 and launch the game from SKUT3 again with the IP.

Most likely additions, fixes etc:

- Vehicle powerups from "Carmageddon".
- Now the AI can experience feelings. After getting humiliated they are less likely to use taunts, instead, type emo poetry to players and then go and off themselves. (Anyone for emo Loque?! <3)
- Added fake pings for bots, and randomized their names, included a few random clan tags, just to confuse people. And make them believe they're playing with real players.
- Bots now have the ability to vote for their favorite maps.
- The ability to customize bots, with pink dresses, gothic lolita skirts, corsets etc. To make the game feel more like YOUR game.
- Fixed demorec, from the eyes of bots instead of players. If there are no bots on the server, tough luck, no demo!
- Female players/characters now have starting armor because of their 'bumpers', also they move faster just like in UT99.
- Bots will curse at you if you happen to throw a weapon in TDM, as it's an exploit and it's generally bad for your health.
- Bots can now 'ragequit' when getting humiliated with 10+ scores.
- Bots are now able to switch sides to the winning side, if they feel like it. Random chance.
- Bots will swear more if they detect finnish players on the server. Especially in finnish.

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
Hello. I come from the competitive scene of ut3. There are alot of things I've encountered that really need to be fixed.

What I'd like to see is:

- UI. no. NO!! ( it is so bad I can't believe it, but I guess u know already what's the problem)

I fail to see how the UI has any influence on the "competitive scene". There is no browsing for servers for competitive playing.

And with the exception of the something server browsing parts of the UI I think most of the commentary is vastly exaggerated.

- Added Mark Rein's face flashing on your screen whenever your rockets dont register.

Quite some people liked that mutator.

Hunter^

Apr 16, 2008
Patsui summed up pretty much all the stuff, I wish they could do something about "Duplicate login detected" error. It disconnects me from the gameserver for no reason and interrupts important matches. :( I think the reason I keep getting them is just losing connection to that useless login server.

fix demo recording please!

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
A question about these no damage shots, is the crosshair indicator flashing when you hit?

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Brizz, could you ask them about a possible fix for the History feature?
ATM its not showing servers youve joined through the console.

Or maybe a ingame "Add server to Favorites" button like in UT2004.

As it is now UT3 completely ignores servers entered through IP, dunno if its by design or just overlooked.

Oh man how I miss that. I played UT2004 on private servers 90% of time... Not to mention copy/paste feature. That would be really awesome. My complete list of still missing fixes/features is quite long.

* Way how to turn off bot taunts completely - extremely annoying during duels against bots (he tounts even twice after a kill!).
* Bots are way too precise with stinger primary. Masterful bots can make the whole duel match thanks to stinger, that's frustrating (especially in combination with taunts ;-)).
* Bots are still way too inhuman even on masterful or lower level. I mean - they are like aimbots with every single weapon. What I like (on the other hand) is that they wait behind the column for my move so don't take this away. It looks like they are omnipotent on lower levels (not only Godlike) and it's good that they use it in such a "human" way. But aiming, reflexes and instant-dodging is everything but enjoying.
* No jitter-jumping in ghost mode while the camera is in solid mass (UT2004 doesn't have this problem).
* Player list for server in server browser. (OK, I see it coming. Hug for that. ;-))
* Display difficulty in F1 when playing against bots.
* Fast restart of map (ala UTComp from UT2004).
* Piped switch weapon.
* I'd like console bindable to tilde. I'm not sure now if I can't bind tilde key, or console, or both... but it's not possible - in UI I mean.
* Enter can't be bound to Talk unless you want to hold it pressed while you write your message. ;-) Any moment you unpress it it confirms the message. Funny. ;-)
* Sound in lists (move one item up/down) is very ugly if played overlayed - which happens when you use mouse wheel (I hope you'll not disable wheel, but fix the sound playback. :-))
* Last played map should be remembered for a particular gametype. At least remember last map when you don't change gametype. I want only to change bot setup and... Arsenal is loaded. That's odd.
* That said - I think most settings from Gametype/Map/Settings "wizard" should be preserved even between UT3 runs. This worked in UT2004 and it was good.

I play like an hour a week or so - how can I miss so much?

I fail to see how the UI has any influence on the "competitive scene". There is no browsing for servers for competitive playing.

You're unbelievably wrong. Horrible UI with no copy/paste, no explicit Add Favorite or no history of servers visited via "open IP" command... these are UI bugs (or omissions) that killed my taste for UT3. I'm not competitive, but as they play mostly on private servers I know what they miss. Do I need to tweak (and learn) INIs before I can play on my favorite servers? This is really easy to see. There is no (really NO) support for working with private servers unless you go for INI tweaking.

That being said - I'm looking forward to this patch as I was happy about both previous patches. Keep them coming. Maybe the game will rise once in online numbers - the chances are here because it's so low now that it's hard to go lower. Also ppl will have PCs for it, etc... Either UT3 will be long-runner slowly taking twist or it's dead already. On PC I mean. I wish that it is long-runner. :) I really do.

Last edited: