Does anyone care about Nali City anymore?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tgm79

Jan 7, 2004
What's the status of the site? Is it abandoned? At least put a big sign on the front page.:(

16MentalTempest

Out to lunch.
Mar 31, 2008
You know, its a shame that nalicity is already going through troubles and then the BU crash happens. But I feel like that as long as somebody out there is still mapping (and trying to learn too) I think nalicity will have to be here. I'm trying hard to learn how to map, even if I only map for UT99.
Optimist: Nalicity will come back with a new website design to bounce from its recent lows.
Realist: They will fix the problems and people will start using the site again.
Pessimist: They will fix the problems but nobody will notice and keep posting worthless crap in the forums.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
We are planning a rewrite before too much longer. We'll try to keep you posted on how that is progressing.

poompoom500

DnM (aka Y_Knot?)
Jan 23, 2008
NJ, USA
www.angelfire.com
Care about Nali City...

:rolleyes:To the one who asked (tgm79),

I guess there are a few... I, for one, still visit this site. Not regularly, but every so often. And I do/try to make my own maps (But got reprimanded for making a poor rendition of another's map).

Suggestion: why not include UT3 maps?

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
Because the entire upload system is dead, so sure we could add UT3, but if no one can upload anything, that won't really get us much further.

I care, but I do not see a short term solution. I personally can't do anything, and it is just waiting for things to happen....

DannyMeister

UT3 Jailbreak Coder
Dec 11, 2002
Bolivar, Missouri
I come by NaliCity about once a week to check if anything has happened. I'm still totally bummed about this. It used to be a daily ritual to come check out the new maps. I need ut3 custom content!

Jul 2, 2004
I place a huge blame on BU for this mess. I don't care if they had 10 drives simultaneously die; it's their responsibility to keep the content secure for their beloved sites. If that means keeping another spare drive locked up in a safe that is updated with their site content once a week, then so be it. Shortly after this crash happened, I felt a desire to go over to the BU forum and post a nasty topic blaming them about the "death" of NaliCity, but what would that accomplish? I can only hope that BU learned their lesson about all this without any of us having to tell them about it.

Like DannyMeister, I also visit Nali City occasionally to see if it's been resurrected yet. For each month that passes bye, I feel more discouraged about the overall picture. All those map comments and ratings have been flushed down the tube, just like that. Meh, my Modern Pack and UT Classic Packs can't even be found anywhere now. Some people have e-mailed me about them, but I just really can't be bothered finding a new host.

Anyway, my rant is over. Hopefully this "soon" speak doesn't mean NaliCity will be back a year from now - when everyone has stopped caring (or forgotten about NaliCity in general).

Last edited:

16MentalTempest

Out to lunch.
Mar 31, 2008
I'm willing to take my optimist view from earlier just because I want to see Nalicity get back in shape. Also, if it weren't for this website specifically, I wouldn't have discovered this weird software tucked in the corner of my 'System' file, let alone actually tried to use it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The current state of NaliCity has very little to do with the database crash.

Chew-This

Jan 23, 2008
Forums are much like life.....sometimes you just run out of things to talk about.
Plus a lot of the regulars move up or move on.
Sad but true.

16MentalTempest

Out to lunch.
Mar 31, 2008
Good point, and I agree. Not all the great mappers will be here. I guess something to do with 'reality' (whatever the hell that is).

DeathoX 8

Beta Toaster
Jan 20, 2008
Having NC down in such a "hot" time is really unfortunate. But I'm rather optimistic, IMO NC has always been the best site for maps so after it will be restored slowly most of the mappers will start adding their maps back...

Ultimate_Weasel

Noes! My 30 posts! [/sarcasm]
Jan 23, 2008
I used to check NC daily to see if there was new, cool custom content. Now I check it daily to see if the problems already have been sorted out.

So I still care about NC, but there's nothing I can do. Until it works again, I'll just keep on checking NC daily. :p

Jul 2, 2004
I haven't been able to load up NaliCity for 2 days now. Every time I see it go down like this, I hope it's because it's being fixed, and not shut down. :-/

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I haven't been able to load up NaliCity for 2 days now. Every time I see it go down like this, I hope it's because it's being fixed, and not shut down. :-/
I've been aware of this issue for the past two days and all I can tell you is that we have a support request in to ServerCave. :/

Jul 2, 2004
Not true. Use the BeyondUnreal's FileWork and you're set.

And how exactly are normal users supposed to find this? The point isn't that *I* personally lost them; the point is that the average user can no longer find them. I have all my packs backed up nice and safe on several HDs, but that doesn't help other people.

I've been aware of this issue for the past two days and all I can tell you is that we have a support request in to ServerCave. :/

So once NaliCity is back up, it will still be... Dead?

Does anyone actually have plans on finding someone who would be able to fix NaliCity, or are we just looking the other way?

Last edited:

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Then there would be no reason for the BU FileWorks being possible to view.

And how exactly are normal users supposed to find this? The point isn't that *I* personally lost them; the point is that the average user can no longer find them.

Finding the Classic Packs on Nali City is just as hard as finding them on the FileWorks. They both have an easy-to-use search function.
The average user who used only Nali City should perfectly know that the files are stored in mirrors selectable through the FileWorks.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2004
Finding the Classic Packs on Nali City is just as hard as finding them on the FileWorks. They both have an easy-to-use search function.
The average user who used only Nali City should perfectly know that the files are stored in mirrors selectable through the FileWorks.

But do you really think my maps get as many downloads by searches through Fileworks as they do NaliCity? I doubt it... You can only download a map if you know what you are searching for. NaliCity serves the purpose of letting people know what they are about to download (and what the filename is, which they wouldn't know without). Unless I go around telling everyone they should download my maps, they will get 0 downloads; thus the reason NaliCity is so great.

Last edited: