The community killed UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Do you remember how all previous UT's shipped? Because everyone seems to think any of those games started out better than UT3 did, and they didn't. Just as much whining went on then, and look at their communities at six months. I think UT3 probably has more players at any given time than UT2003 did after 3 months of release. The nice thing is the UT3 player counts seem to very gradually increase, instead of falling right off.

I'm curious to know where you get your numbers. I check the numbers on Game-Monitor.com, and as of this moment, theres a whopping 92 US players.

Its decreasing. No question about it.

Seriusly waisting time and not helping the situation much by just debatting the issue instead jump on and encourage more growth tell your friend and family if you play and enjoy it then why not share it. *kinda similar to the linux way of thinking*

If there is a problem why not be the change, I admit you cannot force someone to play a game they do not want to but its worth a try. I had a lan of ut3 and everyone involved loved it some of them went out and *cough* bought it *.cough*. right now the NZ servers are absolutly dead and we have the exact same threads in our forums as the ones here. While we are a smaller country with alot less game support than the states or even aus our UT following has been very loyal its sad to see nothing but talk and no action.

PS:- I spell good england

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm curious to know where you get your numbers. I check the numbers on Game-Monitor.com, and as of this moment, theres a whopping 92 US players.

Its decreasing. No question about it.
Oh, I dunno. I guess I prefer going to the OFFICIAL source.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

If you seriously think there are more people than that playing UT2004, I'd like to see you try to prove it.

Super-Moose

Dec 3, 2005
UK
If negative forum posts affected a game's sales even slightly, then Oblivion would have sold worse than sh!t on a stick. It did not.

People just don't like this type of game any more. All people most want these days is something quick and easy with lots of pointless shiny trinkets to collect, like XBL achievements or BF2 unlocks, or the monotonous, skill-less level grinding of WOW. A game like UT, which requires skill and practise, is like kryptonite to modern gamers.

The content of the reviews (and the forums) is what turned people off to the game, not the scores.
Except the scores are the only part of a review that most people (of the few that bother with them at all) ever read, and your average game buyer has never visited a forum in their life. But you keep blaming the community, as that's sure to help it grow. :tup:

#1 did you test the demo if so Why did you buy the UT 3 Game it seems you dislike ut3?
To be fair, it was a "beta" demo, and expecting things to improve for the full release would make sense, no?

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
You don't have to log x hours online, and be on some ladder to be a part of a community.

Game dev's don't have to tell you everything they are doing exactly, and when.

There is a vast difference between complaints, and constructive criticism.

It seems like for every 10 complaints, there is a post that is constructive (at least on these forums, I'm sure it would be far worse at INA) and usually, the constructive ideas get implemented or some close facsimile of said constructive idea gets implemented.

The problem is people lack patients. This stuff can't be fixed over night, and if a dev were to stop in at a good idea, and immediately reply with "that sounds great we'll try that," then the community reads it as "that sounds great we'll do that" and when it's not exactly like that because testing proved the idea needed tweaking, the community cries "LIES!" and Epic is the bad guy regardless.

Don't complain repeatedly, and endlessly.

Post constructive ideas.

STFU and play in the mean time.

Or, if you have good human resources, get a buddy to write a mod, and test it yo' damned self.

IMO

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Oh, I dunno. I guess I prefer going to the OFFICIAL source.

http://archive.gamespy.com/stats/

If you seriously think there are more people than that playing UT2004, I'd like to see you try to prove it.

At this current time Gamespy shows 301 players playing UT3. Also does Gamespy count bots? If so then oh dear. Ill check it again tomorrow around peak time to see if numbers have actually increased like some people claim.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
UT3 doesn't REPORT bots, so no it doesn't count them. In UT2004 it sure does though! In fact, based on what Game-Monitor reports, it also appears to count the flags as separate players!

Even so, 301 players is a lot more than 96, I don't care where in the world they are playing.

Joe Average buys games based on word of mouth and reviews. Your average online community member does not read reviews, but Joe Average sure as heck does when he finds them. He also notices things like cross-game-advertising ("This game is not as fun as Halo") and giant ad banners of death. There certainly weren't many of those.

Also, when mentioning other games like Oblivion, it's important to point out that most review sites had a positive outlook on the game. This is certainly NOT so with UT3. Additionally, Bethesda spent a lot more time advertising Oblivion for the PC because they didn't have any other platform to promote except the 360, and they could bank on memories of Morrowind on the Xbox for that already. Epic (or rather Midway) has yet to show us their advertising "might". Maybe it will drop in for the 360 version, however as of right now even Atardi did a better job of getting UT's name out their prior to release.

I don't believe that the community "killed" anything. I believe that the community plays a major role in how sour the scene seems right now. It's compounded by whining and not playing complex, people who somehow have enough time to whine on the official forums all day but not enough time to play the game for an hour.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
A few weeks ago I did a manual test and counted the players on non-demo servers that are shown in the server browser* (Ut2004).
There are roughly as many UT2004 (retail) players as UT3 players. (At least a few weeks ago).

*) bots aren't shown there

dub

Feb 12, 2002
t's compounded by whining and not playing complex, people who somehow have enough time to whine on the official forums all day but not enough time to play the game for an hour.

That's just a dumb thing to say. Could just as well say, instead of sitting on the forum defending UT3 all day, you should be on the servers playing it...

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
I on the other hand liked UT3, and think it has potential... and would definitely have MORE potential if the dang 'fans' wouldn't drive potential buyers away over little issues...

Although only one person has ever asked me for my opinion of UT3 I can say with some pride that I told them the truth: That they'd probably like it and the only reason I didn't like it was over piddly little things that are far more important to me than they should be.

Can I have my pat on the back now?

WHIPperSNAPper

Mar 22, 2003
Visit site
The community killed UT3? !?! WTF? Epic killed UT3 by releasing a buggy beta as a retail version, but putting out a poor demo, and by releasing a game with a barely functional and featureless server browser and a slow and clunky user interface that was consolized making it feel as though the game were a console port.

The community killed UT3? Give me a break!

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
That's just a dumb thing to say. Could just as well say, instead of sitting on the forum defending UT3 all day, you should be on the servers playing it...
I do SOMETHING with UT3 for about an hour or more a day. Whether that is modding or playing or whatever.

I also don't sit on here all day as you seem to think. I typically check the forums once in the morning, once in the afternoon and once or twice in the evening. And that is on a really good day. Typically I only get to check it a couple times at night.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Its a bit naive to think the forum community could have any significant impact on UT3's success, or lack thereof.

It is a well known fact that the vast majority of gamers never set foot on gaming forums, its is estimated that, for any given game, only around 10% will ever set foot on the official forums (and even less will actively participate), and much less on thouse belonging to fansites, and thus, even if the forum community is so horrible, vile and evil that they could effectively make everyone who reads the forum choose not to buy the game, we're only talking about 10% of prospective buyers here, and that is just not going to sink any game, bad reviews will actually do more harm, but even thouse are not enough to sink a game.

Alot of people actually have bought UT3 for the PC, im sure you guys can easilly find the numbers, and even if we filter out 50% of them (since Epic calculates that 50% of UT players are purely offline players), the remaining 50% of all thouse who bought the game are clearly not playing it online, one look at your server browser will make that painfully obvious.. so the reason people are not playing online is not that we have scared them from buying it, it is that for whatever reason they do not want to play it, or cannot.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
You'd be surprised how many gamers play online yet they rarely, if ever, frequent official forums.

Sorry, but I do put some of the blame on the community. Just not all of it.

You completely missed what I said.

The community is not to blame for the game that was made. I remember reading all the love coming from places after the "beta" demo. Even ProU was in love and said such on the forums, not until the "beta" turned out to actually be the game did people get upset. It is not the community's fault that no one even knew that UT3 was set to release on PC (nor Epics, i know), not until the PS3 ads did people know, and even with those their was no mention of PC.

The only thing that the community can be blamed for is it's own size. A community can kill only it's self, not a game, not even gaming mags have that power.

Status
Not open for further replies.