The community killed UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybro-Thing

Feb 4, 2008
The United States of Holland.
where's the poll? :p

tbh, I do agree that some people should just stop somewhere. Now that the game is out, ironically, I never played it, or had the chance to play it. I don't have the money for a new computer, and need all my cash for other things. I joined BuF like a year and a half ago or something, and had +-600 posts before the crash, 99% of those were in the UT3 section... I joined BuF, just for the UT3 section. I remember we discussed everything to death,, from rocket jumping to better demo playback, from Utcomp (my favorite subject:D) to invasion for UT3, and it kinda saddens me things have gone like they have. I rarely check the forums anymore,, I used to every day. A year ago my thoughts were that UT3 would've at least sold 3 million copies by now, but o well,,.

The thing I hate to see is blaming Epic or individuals for the way things have gone. We know they can make kickass games, because thats what they do, but as long as your not working at Epic, and the only point of view you have is your www.google.com, I think a person is not in a position to blame anybody.

Last edited:

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
Hello :)
In all honestly, it's very simple. I, like many others, bitched because of the issues when the game first came out. Today, I, like many others, continue to bitch, not for my personal pleasure (I get none from this), but because almost nothing has been done about those issues and we have no idea if anything will be (since you decided to keep quiet).

Which rock have you been under?

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
I think what made UT3 dead on arrival was the Beta Demo and the fact it turned so many players off, so few of changes were present when the game first released from all of the feedback provided which put more fuel on the already big fire, the players left before the first patches even came out. On top of no mainstream advertising. First impressions are always the most important, heck, Hellgate:London is a prime example.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Pretty much what did :).

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this kind of behavior hurts anything significantly, and I definitely don't include you in the "whiners" clique (thus I could read your posts :-)).

But it most definitely doesn't help anything, least of all UT.

Good to know :)
I admit I can be impatient when it comes to UT, I just hate not seeing it at the top and I keep thinking that anyday now you'll pull off something huge to push it there!

Oh and N1GHTMARE, I meant the big issues (won't go over them again). Don't get me wrong though, the patches so far have been perfect, you rarely see patches of this size! It's really just the fog over what's to come that makes it hard (for me anyway).

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
I followed UT3's development for over 3 years. It looked really promising. In the 3rd year I testplayed it 3 months before it came out and by that moment I knew that it wouldn't do too well. The community had nothing to do with it.

I followed it for three years and knew that it would fail, I was right unfortunately. No Assault makes UT's failures :p

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
They're not ignoring it, they read it all at the beginning of the demo phase, they just don't need to read what's being said now since it was first stated last year. :p

The problem is feed back, if people don't know that the the complaints are being heard, they will just yell louder and louder until they know it is heard. I learned that in both my own company and when I admined at TWL, that if you don't keep people informed about what is going on, they will assume nothing is happening and get pissed.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
The problem is feed back, if people don't know that the the complaints are being heard, they will just yell louder and louder until they know it is heard. I learned that in both my own company and when I admined at TWL, that if you don't keep people informed about what is going on, they will assume nothing is happening and get pissed.
If you have ever visited the Epic UT3 forums in the last year, you will have seen that topics get pushed off the front page in the General Discussion forums in less than a day. With ten new threads on the same subject popping up in one day, many of them get deleted due to mass redundancy. Hence, a lot of folks feel that their voices aren't heard. I blame the community for that. If poster would simply take the time to read over the forums instead of signing up and creating a new thread the moment they login, things might be a bit different.

The problem is also that many of us old-timers from UT remember some of the atrocities that occurred due to us, the community, spreading misnomers against Epic. Does "two weeks" ring an effing bell? A lot of people accepted the3 word of a few community members that Mark Rein stated the demo was coming in two weeks, when that wasn't at all what he really said. It is truly is no wonder Epic is tight-lipped most of the time.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Most of the people who say they love this game are either die hard fans, who can objectively rate gameplay, or people who have top of the line systems, and can run it with minimal hitches.

I'm even willing to bet if the game ran smoother once started, people would forget about the UI, or get used to it.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
So Epic ignores any people that criticize their game? Thats a stellar business model.

It works well for Microsoft, Sony and Apple.

But there's a difference in being critical and flaming/trolling. "X sucks, plz fix" isn't very useful. "X sucks, it would work much better like Y or maybe even Z so you can do V and W. And if you combine it with I, C, U and P then you have a pun within an hypothetical critique"

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
If you have ever visited the Epic UT3 forums in the last year, you will have seen that topics get pushed off the front page in the General Discussion forums in less than a day. With ten new threads on the same subject popping up in one day, many of them get deleted due to mass redundancy. Hence, a lot of folks feel that their voices aren't heard. I blame the community for that. If poster would simply take the time to read over the forums instead of signing up and creating a new thread the moment they login, things might be a bit different.

Only the last year? It has always been that way, hence why I typically avoid popular forums because it is to difficult to keep up with.

Many people that make new threads, are new people that don't know forum etiquette. That new person is is not a member of any community. (on this forums, the threads are the same subject but it is typically a very general subject)

Go through the "beta" demo section and tell me how many response have been posted by Epic. Then look at the released game, that should give a good reason for why people think they are ignored.

Last edited:

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
It works well for Microsoft, Sony and Apple.

But there's a difference in being critical and flaming/trolling. "X sucks, plz fix" isn't very useful. "X sucks, it would work much better like Y or maybe even Z so you can do V and W. And if you combine it with I, C, U and P then you have a pun within an hypothetical critique"

And look at the hate they get.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Only the last year? It has always been that way, hence why I typically avoid popular forums because it is to difficult to keep up with.

Many people that make new threads, are new people that don't know forum etiquette. That new person is is not a member of any community. (on this forums, the threads are the same subject but it is typically a very general subject)

Go through the "beta" demo section and tell me how many response have been posted by Epic. Then look at the released game, that should give a good reason for why people think they are ignored.
The "community" really is made up of all UT players, not just the online forumers, although I do realize this is the complaint made here. Many online players never visit forums.

And yes, I'm aware of the beta demo forums and lack of response on Epic's part. Most of the complaints I saw were with the UI. What did you expect Epic to say? Were they to respond to one post or all them?

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
Hi All!

Anyway I have been perusing this board for awhile now, I've never bothered to post.

Anyway, I couldnt help but notice this thread filled with butterflies and rainbows, and thought I'd help cheer it up. There seems to be a lot of you who simply want to play the blame game, and that's fine if that tickles your fancies. Please remember a few important things as you do though.

1. Epic has never given up on a UT to date. Think that doesnt matter? It does.

See, I happen to also enjoy the Command & Conquer games. Generals was the first real 3d release in the series, and was successful, but it was given up on for no apparent reason. Seriously, there is a bug in that game that allows any GLA player to launch repeated Scud storms (superweapon) in 30 sec intervals after they get a scud storm built only 2 or 3% of the way. Now THAT breaks a game. EA refused to fix, and once the bug got public, you couldnt play anyone who wanted to use GLA, simple as that.

Ever played an MMO? No? I have. After launch, they get daily patches, and daily DOWNTIME. Yup, that means when they decide to update, you don't play period, even if thats the 3 hours of the day you get for that kind of thing. Sometimes that downtime can extend for a couple days, and guess what, they won't ever give out an ETA on when the service you are PAYING for monthly, will be back up. Put Epic's lack of feedback to let you know in the same perspective and it isnt so bad. Disappointing yes, earth shattering no.

2. We get free content beyond the game's initial release. Even Quake has used expansions. And while I realize that some of the bonus packs aren't extensive as most expansions, we get em free. Some expansions aren't much more than what we would call a bonus pack, and it usually costs $30.

3. If you don't want bugs in a game, go buy a console. The beauty of PC games to me is the ability to be modded. You don't always get that with PC games. People like to use Blizzard as a shining example of a buisness model that works in the pc industry. How are those Warcraft 3 mods treating ya? Oh, thats right... Factor in a PC game has to be tested on a LOT of different hardware configs, and you can see what happens. Basically you get it one of 2 ways: you can have a few bugs, or you can be locked down into ONLY what the developers give to you. Someone stated earlier that MS, Apple, etc all do this, and its exactly right. I could give countless examples of how MS is evil, but in the end they do fix their products, it just takes a while.

But at the root of all of this, does any of it matter? Does it matter how this game got to where it is? NO. Are you expecting Epic to come back and beg to you all on hands and knees? It wont happen, so why bother dredging it all up?

How about look at ways to get this ship turned around? I can truthfully say I get on every nite, or nearly everynite. There are more posts in this thread than I usually see players at any one time. GET ONLINE AND PLAY. STOP WHINING AND BE PATIENT.

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
The "community" really is made up of all UT players, not just the online forumers, although I do realize this is the complaint made here. Many online players never visit forums.

And yes, I'm aware of the beta demo forums and lack of response on Epic's part. Most of the complaints I saw were with the UI. What did you expect Epic to say? Were they to respond to one post or all them?

I don't consider the person that occasionally plays UT online or even sp as a member of the community, imo.

I don't recall seeing any posts. Was there ever a post in the thread from Epic about weapon firing height and eye height? Cool, they fixed it, but how many pages did it get to before it was taken care of? There are a few topics that when new threads are created, War tourist will lock them and direct you to an older thread, that is great, I love that, to bad that thread typically has no fix to a problem or info on if it will be patched.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm with you on this one! The community killed nothing in my opinion and all this bitching we are doing, it's to make sure that the next UT title (or any EPIC game for that matter) doesn't go through this. I can't even believe that people are blaming us, did you guys forget in what shape UT3 shipped!? or the demo!? No ofcourse you didn't, and that means the community is doing their job!
Do you remember how all previous UT's shipped? Because everyone seems to think any of those games started out better than UT3 did, and they didn't. Just as much whining went on then, and look at their communities at six months. I think UT3 probably has more players at any given time than UT2003 did after 3 months of release. The nice thing is the UT3 player counts seem to very gradually increase, instead of falling right off.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I don't consider the person that occasionally plays UT online or even sp as a member of the community, imo.

I don't recall seeing any posts. Was there ever a post in the thread from Epic about weapon firing height and eye height? Cool, they fixed it, but how many pages did it get to before it was taken care of? There are a few topics that when new threads are created, War tourist will lock them and direct you to an older thread, that is great, I love that, to bad that thread typically has no fix to a problem or info on if it will be patched.
You'd be surprised how many gamers play online yet they rarely, if ever, frequent official forums. As for game issues, yes Epic reads their own forums. Like I have stated and will probably have to do until I'm blue in the face, I believe Epic does not respond much because every word any Epic employee utters or writes is scrutinized, misquoted and downright abused at times. Maybe it isn't the best way for a company to do business, but considering the immature manner in which a great percentage of forumers act on the internet, who could blame Epic for zipping it when they otherwise should speak up?

Sorry, but I do put some of the blame on the community. Just not all of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.