The community killed UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
How does it matter what previous UT's scored? I did read the reviews and as said, it's not like inaccurate reviews were only ever given to UT3. No matter how you turn it 80% is not bad and.... oh you know what, I give up. I'm not going to type out my whole first post for you again because you deliberately miss the point and refuse to read/comprehend it. (or just plain can't)
Your initial post is pointless and too long. It tries to refute that the community is to blame for the state of UT3 right now and it honestly doesn't succeed. Yes, Epic released a flawed product, but that doesn't excuse the action of the community. As I said in the other thread, I've never seen such a disloyal fanbase in all my years of gaming. I honestly don't have any clue how you cannot see that the community has done as much or more damage to UT3 as Epic has. UT3 had a bad launch, but the community made it multitudes worse than it really was.

I never said 80% was bad. The content of the reviews (and the forums) is what turned people off to the game, not the scores. Besides, Metacritic covers about 10% of the actual game review community. A lot of people surely read about UT3 on a blog, a hardware site, somewhere not counted in the MetaCritic score. There are a lot of those places, and they were even less kind to the game than the professional reviewers.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
wow, alot of you guys here are so immature. Someone tries to discuss that UT3 is low in popularity and would to find ways to solve that and discuss it; explaining it in a very unbiased sense, and people say its pointless and whining. Wow, its almost impossible to find mature forumers here.

I don't know what is it that you need the most.

• A hug.
  • A new fanboism.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Secondly bad reviews have never really stopped games being sold. The best example I found recently was the first 50 cent game with an average review score of 40!
40!!! It sold over 1 million copies...

I'm not even surprised at this. All the blinded-foolish fans wants his game, or the 7 yrs old who like to listen to 50 Cents when he come back from school. "Yeah get rich or try dyin' that's how we roll yo da man fifty!"

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Brizz, you ever stop to think that people are complaining for perfectly good reasons?

Head over to the official TF2 or CoD4 forums, I'm sure you'll see alot less complaints.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Brizz, you ever stop to think that people are complaining for perfectly good reasons?

I'm with you on this one! The community killed nothing in my opinion and all this bitching we are doing, it's to make sure that the next UT title (or any EPIC game for that matter) doesn't go through this. I can't even believe that people are blaming us, did you guys forget in what shape UT3 shipped!? or the demo!? No ofcourse you didn't, and that means the community is doing their job!

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
all this bitching we are doing, it's to make sure that the next UT title (or any EPIC game for that matter) doesn't go through this.

Hi Wunderbar. The only problem is it accomplishes the exact opposite.

There's this insane gene in the DNA of forum posters that makes them believe they can affect change via forum posts. Posting it over and over again. Posting the same thing, each time with more 50% more rant, again and again. Hoping of reaching some "obnoxiousness" threshold for being heard.

Sadly, this only gets them added to the ignore list, whether figuratively or literally. This is necessary because these "empty calorie" posts clutter otherwise useful threads and make it hard to find the actually constructive information.

Fundamentally, people who non-stop bitch about the UI, the player counts, the "consolification", etc are doing it for their own benefit. 99.99% of the "I'm sad" or "How can we save UT" threads are retreads of opinions now almost 6 months old and are already well understood by the UT team.

I really hope they're at least enjoyable for the poster, since truly, they serve no other purpose.

evilmrfrank

Banned
Apr 22, 2005
Florida, US
www.evilmrfrank.com
Good post WarTourist :) I honestly agree that the community has hurt UT3 to an extent. Sure Epic did this or that wrong but who cares. They have never had a perfect launch in the past and I doubt they ever will in the future but they patch things up and give us free content every time around and you people still cry. Sometimes I think you people cry because everyone else is crying not because you actually have something to cry about....

DarkSonny

Beware!
Apr 8, 2008
Malaga, Spain
#1 did you test the demo if so Why did you buy the UT 3 Game it seems you dislike ut3? People like you makes feel tired many whining whining...Tell me what games is nearly perfection in all senses? Response = None... Doesn't exist perfect games only the grey zones with the lights and shadows as normally in all things in normal life. Perfections idea is only in your imagination and its only a game.

Dont read anymore **** from review/forum whiners there here because it allow you to discourage more and more..simply take it if you love or forget it and end story.

If you didn't like the game why didn't you do to refund it and get back your money or sell it to another fun or...? Maybe this help to feel in peace with yourself.

This thread is simply ridiculous

Last edited:

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal

There's this insane gene in the DNA of forum posters that makes them believe they can affect change via forum posts. Posting it over and over again. Posting the same thing, each time with more 50% more rant, again and again. Hoping of reaching some "obnoxiousness" threshold for being heard.

Sadly, this only gets them added to the ignore list, whether figuratively or literally. This is necessary because these "empty calorie" posts clutter otherwise useful threads and make it hard to find the actually constructive information.

Fundamentally, people who non-stop bitch about the UI, the player counts, the "consolification", etc are doing it for their own benefit. 99.99% of the "I'm sad" or "How can we save UT" threads are retreads of opinions now almost 6 months old and are already well understood by the UT team.

I really hope they're at least enjoyable for the poster, since truly, they serve no other purpose.

Hello :)
In all honestly, it's very simple. I, like many others, bitched because of the issues when the game first came out. Today, I, like many others, continue to bitch, not for my personal pleasure (I get none from this), but because almost nothing has been done about those issues and we have no idea if anything will be (since you decided to keep quiet).

If you say these don't help at all? Fine, I for one won't post this stuff no more as I do love this game and being banned was not what I had in mind. But, constant banning, keeping quiet and talk about consoles after all this, what exactly did you think would happen!?

Last edited:

hilo_

Jan 19, 2008

There's this insane gene in the DNA of forum posters that makes them believe they can affect change via forum posts.

Like... "killing a game?" ;)

Sir_Brizz, why don't you provide an argument defending your position. If you've already given one, could you please link it to me, because I haven't seen one from you. I'll go ahead and explain my position:

1. "The Community" is a group of customers/fans. We put epic where they are today. We don't have to be "loyal." I like epic, but don't call me disloyal for expressing frustration with one their products.

2. Most people that buy games don't read the forums for their respective fansites. No one I know who bought UT3 read the forums. At most, I'd say half of the people go searching for forums to see if the fan base is trying to scare them away from the game.

3. If UT3 had attracted more players in the first place, 500 whiny forums posters wouldn't mean anything. And this failure to attract a significant amount of new players when the game came out is NOT the community's fault. The game was beat out by other titles, didn't get those 9/10 review scores (whereas the other ones did), and lets not forget that "demo."

4. Oh yea, the demo. That's the thing that allows people to play the game before they bought it, right? So they can decide for themselves if they want it? Sorry, but the demo pretty much invalidates any argument for "the community" driving customers away unfairly. They had the chance to play the game themselves - why would they take someone else's opinion when they had the chance to form their own?

Just so WarTourist (who probably put me on his ignore list) and Sir_Brizz know, I bought the game, It WASN'T up to my expectations, I expressed some frustration with it, I bought it, and I play it (when someone on the east coast is playing duel or ctf.) At the same time, I've wanted to promote the game, especially with a frag video. I made a thread on Epic's forums asking about client side demo recording. It was very friendly; no one was flaming epic or anything. It was deleted the next day.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org

Its good that you acknowledge the problems! But what does Epic plan on doing to address them?

WarTourist

Jan 22, 2008
what exactly did you think would happen!?

Pretty much what did :).

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying this kind of behavior hurts anything significantly, and I definitely don't include you in the "whiners" clique (thus I could read your posts :-)).

But it most definitely doesn't help anything, least of all UT.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
They're not ignoring it, they read it all at the beginning of the demo phase, they just don't need to read what's being said now since it was first stated last year. :p

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
Why is Wartourist here posting, and not wiping EPICs developers to complete UT4?

Why is everyone else posting and not making mods for the MSUC 2008?

Why am I posting knowing that Neonite is going to edit/delete/repost/re-delete my post?

Status
Not open for further replies.