The community killed UT3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
alotta good stuff there and i agree with 90something % of it...

the one thing is that unfortunately, ALOT of ppl, no matter how intelligent they sound in forums still have that good ole 'herd mentality' and go along with the squeakiest wheels... so the effect this has is not on the 'average joe' who doesnt read forums or reviews anyway, but on the fo called "fans" of the game who might have otherwise been among a products strongest supporters... its sad but true, lotsa human types have a problem thinking for themselves and just go along with the herd. (or the herd that whines the loudest)

Yeah, I thought about that a little too, but then I just don't understand how the likes of Kane and Lynch ended up selling so well and being relatively popular. :|
I don't know if you caught the aftermath of that Gamespot review but I once I saw the public outburst I wouldn't have been surprised if Kane and Lynch had sold no more than a 100 copies... but it didn't - it sold well. How!? :(
I've never seen so much bad press over a game and badmouthing and yet it managed to beat all that bad press somehow... I don't get it.

Yeah, totally. Yeah.
/me guesses dub either has not seen Rainman or has no sense of humour!
A bit of both :hmm: I was in my teens last time I saw the movie (and can't remember it much) and atm my sense of humor is a tad AWOL... behind the couch with all the fluff and the pennies :(
soz
I have a sense of homous though!... *gets coat*

Last edited:

JEnepas

Feb 5, 2008
I followed UT3's development for over 3 years. It looked really promising. In the 3rd year I testplayed it 3 months before it came out and by that moment I knew that it wouldn't do too well. The community had nothing to do with it.

But I bought it in spite of that the first day it came out; even after the bad demo. And I tried to like it. But it didn't work. IMHO it is an above average game but not outstanding and the other franchised out at the same time are too strong.

Must admit, as soon as I tried the demo I thought, urghh... this isn't going to cut it. Too many annoying omissions combined with the new spam friendly aspects( though I now like UT3 and accept 2k4 was too hitscan dominated). There had been all that forum debate about dodge jump removal and general dumbing down, quite a few obviously wanted not to like it , in order to be proved right. Maybe in a misplaced hope Epic would go back to the drawing board.

On to the central point of this rehashed thread. I'd say yes, when players that day in ,day out pwn others with proven skill start slamming a game, it does have a knock on , if association had no role in support, sales why would companies sponsor & pay gamers to advertise?

Last edited:

Goldfenix

yus
Sep 21, 2005
a place that only I can exist in
wow, alot of you guys here are so immature. Someone tries to discuss that UT3 is low in popularity and would to find ways to solve that and discuss it; explaining it in a very unbiased sense, and people say its pointless and whining. Wow, its almost impossible to find mature forumers here.

I dont think too much can be done to increase the popularity of UT3, it being a PC game and console game too opens up alot of doors, but I believe less sold than what was expected because of the marketing. I never seen a UT commercial on tv or seen COMING SOON posters in stores. Just around gaming sites and what not, but not in the public areas. Even the crappiest games like that 50 cent game have commercials and advertising.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
wow, alot of you guys here are so immature. Someone tries to discuss that UT3 is low in popularity and would to find ways to solve that and discuss it; explaining it in a very unbiased sense, and people say its pointless and whining. Wow, its almost impossible to find mature forumers here.
Wow to you too! :)

I think you may have overlooked the many many other threads that are virtually the same (including one on this very page!).

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
alotta good stuff there and i agree with 90something % of it...

the one thing is that unfortunately, ALOT of ppl, no matter how intelligent they sound in forums still have that good ole 'herd mentality' and go along with the squeakiest wheels... so the effect this has is not on the 'average joe' who doesnt read forums or reviews anyway, but on the so called "fans" of the game who might have otherwise been among a products strongest supporters... its sad but true, lotsa human types have a problem thinking for themselves and just go along with the herd. (or the herd that whines the loudest)

and the community didnt "kill" UT3, most ppl know that. even Epic agrees on alot of what hurt UT3 and hopefully they have plans to do something about it cause it is a stellar game.

Agreed to a certain extent. I think the community has definitely played a part in keeping people away. But that is only a very small percentage compared to the shoddy release.

The gameplay is amazing imo and that will always be enough to keep some people playing. It won't see the numbers of Camper of Duty 4 but i'm still enjoying myself. And i'm still clinging on to the hope that Epic will do some things to help the competitive community. Be it some 1v1 or TDM maps in the new pack, or some bug fixes and help with coverage. READ CLIENT SIDE DEMOS ;)

pinnacle

Jan 22, 2008
No matter how awful a game is, if people have a good reason to play it then they will play it (see Counterstrike). UT3 is a pretty good game, but I have no motivation to play it. I think part of that is Epic's fault for not making the game more unique/fun/exciting/accessible but also I think UT3 came out at the wrong time - people are playing too many different games with the limited amount of time that they have.

Adelheid

Bernstein
Jan 23, 2008
Nowhere.
Although I don't like UT3 I think the timing of its release did not help as the market was already saturated with futuristic "next generation" games, with short storylines, that injected bloom into your eyes at every opportunity whilst trying to cram shiny tenthousand poly meshes up your ass.... erm... so... yeah... bad timing and stuff...

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Although I don't like UT3 I think the timing of its release did not help as the market was already saturated with futuristic "next generation" games, with short storylines, that injected bloom into your eyes at every opportunity whilst trying to cram shiny tenthousand poly meshes up your ass.... erm... so... yeah... bad timing and stuff...
I on the other hand liked UT3, and think it has potential... and would definitely have MORE potential if the dang 'fans' wouldn't drive potential buyers away over little issues.

UT3 at least works... go and play Battlefield 2 -- curse at the top of your lungs even trying to GET IN A MATCH {I can't even anymore... there was one patch where it just stopped working for me} -- then come back to UT3 and bitch about it being 'broken'... I dare you o.o {You not referring to the quoted post -- 'you' is just a general comment to everyone}

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I on the other hand liked UT3, and think it has potential... and would definitely have MORE potential if the dang 'fans' wouldn't drive potential buyers away over little issues.

UT3 at least works... go and play Battlefield 2 -- curse at the top of your lungs even trying to GET IN A MATCH {I can't even anymore... there was one patch where it just stopped working for me} -- then come back to UT3 and bitch about it being 'broken'... I dare you o.o {You not referring to the quoted post -- 'you' is just a general comment to everyone}

You couldn't fit the entire UT3 community in 4 BF2 64 man servers, if that tells you anything.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well heres an idea, maybe everyone is playing offline because the AI is that damn good. Shove that in your battlefield and smoke it :lol:

Shadow]I[

Dec 3, 2002
Utah
UT3 is fine, although you have to learn lots of complex maps and thats what might give new people the quits, the bonus pack was good because it brought 2 maps which were easy to learn and 1 new one.
Another is the hardware requirement, some people have older pc's, but dont mind running games on low settings, and while ut3 doesnt even run at all on low end pcs, it should at least try to, and source games do, but they arn't as detailed as ut3.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
UT3's minimum specs are as low as BF2's minimum specs... yes true that's not much of an experience on low {neither was BF2 for that matter} -- but there's plenty enough people playing BF2.

What I'm saying is UT3's much better than Battlefield :p

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Rub a dub dub makes some good points and I wont explain myself in this thread since I already explained my issues with the game in the other thread.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This thread is dumb.

1) If Epic botched the release, then the community botched Epic's botch.

2) 80% is not high for a UT game. Never has been, never will be. Read the reviews! Don't look at stupid MetaCritic.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
stop being purposely ignorant

This thread is dumb.

1) If Epic botched the release, then the community botched Epic's botch.

2) 80% is not high for a UT game. Never has been, never will be. Read the reviews! Don't look at stupid MetaCritic.

How does it matter what previous UT's scored? I did read the reviews and as said, it's not like inaccurate reviews were only ever given to UT3. No matter how you turn it 80% is not bad and.... oh you know what, I give up. I'm not going to type out my whole first post for you again because you deliberately miss the point and refuse to read/comprehend it. (or just plain can't)

Last edited:

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Wrong release date amidst other high-profile shooters, and too little advertising. And a game concept that while still fresh to many (including me) smells like last millennium to others.

A rating of 80 is good, other UT titles might've been better but that doesn't make 80 any worse in the slightest. The other titles would probably score lower today too, graphics, gameplay, expectations, available alternatives and all. Your reasoning escapes me in this respect, Sir_Brizz...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.