So, is there any way to save this game?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I just played some warfare on a server with a 64 player limit; at one point we had 50 people on the server and it was pretty insane.

The game doesn't need saving (badly). The people who are playing the game really enjoy it. THere's not much you can do to correct a poorly handled launch. I agree the demo needs updating however.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
I will agree that the majority of damage done to the community is Epic's fault. My question is, is there any way to save this game? Player numbers worldwide are under 500 and get lower everyday. At this point, should we just move on to other games, or, try to save UT?

well EPic didnt cause problems in the community, the community did. epic just released a bad demo and unfinished product... not the same thing.
number seem to have gone up a teeny bit, but they are still way too low.
UT3 does need help, but dont look for me playing other games online ;)

Yay, another thread we have to watch closely :(

I personally don't think that this UT is doing any worse than previous UTs in player count online.

i dunno, both ut2k4 and ut99 always have more players online, which sucks, but its true. UT3 needs help to get the online #s up here they should be.

On topic: Releasing a better demo would help, but I don't think anything short of an expansion/re-release ala UT2k4 can "save" it.

true ture true! UT3 needs a re-release in an Xtreme Gold UT3.5 edition or something to get things rockin n rollin... and the demo needs to be updated big time too!

I think you're probably right on the money here. Certainly, a Warfare map or VCTF map featuring Necris vehicles might help make a sale to those who complained there was nothing new. VCTF-Necropolis might be a good choice and either WAR-Avalanche or WAR-Downtown (urban themes are quite popular).

In order to reel in those who dismissed it because of the front end (browser problems and odd interface), I think nothing short of a brand new UI would do it for them.

as always right on target

I just played some warfare on a server with a 64 player limit; at one point we had 50 people on the server and it was pretty insane.

The game doesn't need saving (badly). The people who are playing the game really enjoy it. THere's not much you can do to correct a poorly handled launch. I agree the demo needs updating however.

and QFT too...

theres a good number of players enjoying the game, but without much needed fixes, re-release of the demo and the game and mod support (this means working demorec, working factions and customization etc), i dont know whats gonna happen... itsa shame cause for the most part its the best lookin & playin UT ever imnsho.

Last edited:

DD

Goober
May 29, 2000
Yay, another thread we have to watch closely :(

I personally don't think that this UT is doing any worse than previous UTs in player count online. At peak times there are several hundred people playing and at non-peak times there are only a few people playing. The difference is that it seems more noticeably bad now because bots are not counted in the server counts, the gamespy counts, or other counting junk.

Sorry I have to agree with others that UT99>>>>UT2k4>UT3 for online popularity.

UT99 I could log on any time and literally have 10 servers each of TDM, DM and CTF filled with players all with pings under 50. I could play at 6 am Sunday morning (which I did multiple times) and there would be still a lot of people playing on decent ping servers

In UT 2k4 there were 2 good TDM pubs that were almost always being used with pings about 80-90.

UT3- most of the time can't find a decent server with good pings that has anybody on it (for TDM/DM). Half the time I play I just log off because there is nobody to play.

LANCE.xd

Flak Monkey
Feb 19, 2006
The Countdown Node
I think the best thing to do is to stop looking at the game in such a pessimistic light and just play the game. I'm pretty sure that was the main idea in the first place! :rolleyes:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Sorry I have to agree with others that UT99>>>>UT2k4>UT3 for online popularity.

UT99 I could log on any time and literally have 10 servers each of TDM, DM and CTF filled with players all with pings under 50. I could play at 6 am Sunday morning (which I did multiple times) and there would be still a lot of people playing on decent ping servers

In UT 2k4 there were 2 good TDM pubs that were almost always being used with pings about 80-90.

UT3- most of the time can't find a decent server with good pings that has anybody on it (for TDM/DM). Half the time I play I just log off because there is nobody to play.
UT is certainly better, but I don't think any game since then has been any better than another.

In73gr4L

Jan 22, 2008
Many of the more experienced players of the UT series appear to not like UT3 because they can't immediately get their daily ego boost straight after switching from ut2k4 (and to a lesser extent ut99) to ut3. But it's like, so camper of duty 4 is going to get you off? You get spammed by 'n00b tubes' and 'marties' from n00bs all day long on that game. At least with ut3 a truly skilled player can usually own a newer player. People just need to remind themselves that unless they're amongst the very very very top players, gaming is not going to get them anywhere so they're total sad c**ts if they get a significant ego boost from doing well on an fps. Play the game for fun, not because you're under the delusion that your 'skill' makes you special in any way, shape or form. Unless more people begin to adopt this kind of attitude and people stop bandwagoning, the popularity of ut3 (or lack thereof), is unlikely to change.

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I'm in the same mindset as Dub. Have you ever seen a revival that is being spoken about here?

Personally I think the only way to get the numbers of people that were playing UT2004 (in its prime) or UT is to release a new game. Sorry, I just don't think the community can really do anything about it.

Which is not to say I think that there are at least a reasonable number of people playing UT3 right now. At least enough to merit the MSUC.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
A price drop? It was almost bargain bin price on release day!!

Tryant is probably about right. The game is just going to have to do a UT2003, and shove some serious content to drag people in.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
I rekon doing a UT2003 would be the worse thing Epic could do! See we arnt just talking about UT3 here but Epic's track record and I do believe 2k3/4 played some part in how well UT3 is doing. Especially considering the reception it got! Plus it'll only hurt the MSUC.

Epic might do another UT, they might not. All I know is UT3 is here and now, what else matters? I dont get why its always about the next game, could that be part of the reason? people are waiting on UT4 instead of buying and playing UT3? What we need in that case if for Epic to say nups guys youre right for awhile and Im hoping thats what the announcement of the MSUC is.

Gamers dont forget that easy, even people who arnt in the Unreal community and know the name know UT2k3, they know or perhaps own UT2k4 (but rarely play it, you know those 50% that didnt go online), perhaps theyve also tried the demo and seen what a buggy piece of **** it is. Honestly some people might have been expecting 2k4 (which might be good for them) but alot of people didnt like 2k4's stylings and it hurt the franchise more then you can imagine because now when people hear unreal thats the game they have in their head... Not UT3 like it should be. Makes you wonder though doesnt it!

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
One of the big issues is that people weren't necessarily expecting UT2004's mechanics - but the sheer level of content. UT2004 had a hell of a lot of game modes and maps compared to UT3 - where now you get "Why is there no Invasion / Assault / Domination?" etc

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I can see that as well, UT2004 was two games so I try very often to remind people of that so its somewhat fair in comparison.

I agree as well its not about just the mechanics but Im thinking the visual style, I wonder how many people know UT3 looks the way it does vs UT2k4 you know.

Edit: Also wargames are just the in thing and have been for a long while, I guess people just dont like the intimacy of DM or the story of bloodsports.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
One of the big issues is that people weren't necessarily expecting UT2004's mechanics - but the sheer level of content. UT2004 had a hell of a lot of game modes and maps compared to UT3 - where now you get "Why is there no Invasion / Assault / Domination?" etc
I know this is true, but it's a ridiculous way of thinking. UT2004 had less NEW CONTENT than UT3 has. In fact, depending on how you count up the content in UT3, it has as much or nearly as much content as UT1 had.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well, this goes back to what I was saying before. Relatively seasoned community members are the ones doing the whining about the amount of content and the gameplay and everything else in the game that is making people (reviewers, average joe walmart attendee, etc) think differently about the game. Yes, Epic didn't release a perfect product, but the community has been making the game seem worse than it really is since the instant the demo was released.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
Usually a fanbase _defends_ and supports whatever organization it is a fan of.
If a guy is fan of NVidia, he defends NVidia to death. If a guy is fan of AMD, he defends AMD even now. The same for Sony, Microsoft, Halo, CS:S, WoW, Windows, Mac, Linux, a political party, a brand of cookies...

This is the first time that I've seen a "fanbase" _attacking_ and be against the organization. Ever!

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Self sabotage is what the community does best! :p

I love the game, personally, it's got almost perfect gameplay and I'm always hoping it will start picking up again since I'm never going back to 2k3/2k4 and I don't want to start up UT again since I don't feel like living in 1999.

There's just one glaring bug that's keeping this game from being my all time favorite, but with the rate the community is going, I'll be the only one left in a month or two.

DocB

Where does it hurt?
Apr 28, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm a relatively seasoned player (not very good but well seasoned). I've played every UT trough the current version. I'm neither attacking nor defending UT3. I'm just playing it! As with the other UTs I'm enjoying it for what it is. I suppose that if someday Epic says, "No more UT on PCs; just consoles only.", I'll buy whatever console it is on and play it there as well.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Ok, this is driving me crazy, and this post will probably get me warned, but here we go:

It is invalid to compare 2k4 to UT3. Apples and oranges. 2k3 and UT3 is a valid comparison though, since they were both released on a new engine, and therefore was 'incomplete', and had low player/map counts. 2k4 came out a bit later and had much more time and content in it, so not a valid comparison at all.

If you look at it that way, we just have to wait for UT3.5 or whatever name they give it. I think the biggest thing they could change to make it more appealing is to GET RID OF THE STORY. I mean seriously, respawners, why not let me just attack the damn respawner instead of dragging the flag back to my base?!

Reaver is GoW ripoff. Please also keep in mind that UT is not based on GoW. UT is what made Epic what it is today, please don't let other titles usurp this authority and keep the style like you always have (ancient ruins, space, etc in old titles), no more chinese maps, or ones that are so grey, monochrome, cramped, and friggin confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.