UT3.5 or UT4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
UT3.5 or UT4 ? Honestly, I want to see neither. Epic should just leave the PC crowd alone and move solely to consoles. Unless their morals change on how they port their console games, every game they port to PC will continue to Sink.

while other companies stand back and view Epic as the what not to do's when it comes to porting a game.

By consolized, I think what many people mean is that they took a game that was famous for it's customizations, and performance scaling and nuked away all but the map editor.

They also plugged the game into an online arcade wannabe stat collecting pile of garbage (Gamespy) that seems to require a completely static IP and a nearly defenseless connection to the internet in order to function properly and allow you to play for more than a few minutes at a time. That kind of completely spread-legged connection you're only going to get from a console.

I've played Unreal since the first Nali screamed his first "ohemgee" and as of now I'm done with Epic, Unreal, Midway, and reaffirming my seething hatred of Gamespy.

I understand that going console is great for business, and all that. I can see how making the game cater to kids makes sense in order to ensure future revenue. That's all fine and well. Just chalk me up to the "acceptable losses" that I'm sure someone at Epic had to have mentioned at some point before they released this unfinished, unoptimized, outright broken pile of 1's and 0's onto an unsuspecting audience.

I'm almost sorry if I sound bitter, but I bought a new rig mainly to play UT3, and well, I can't. I've narrowed down problem after problem after ****ing problem, and have finally come to realize that the final straw is Gamespy. No matter what I do, I find myself staring at my main menu screen midway (lol) through each and every online game I join.

I'm done. I'll leave this on my PC in hopes for a fix, but I'm not holding my breath. I seriously doubt Epic even acknowledges this game exists anymore. If they do, it's probably a big joke around the offices.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'm almost sorry if I sound bitter, but I bought a new rig mainly to play UT3, and well, I can't. I've narrowed down problem after problem after ****ing problem, and have finally come to realize that the final straw is Gamespy. No matter what I do, I find myself staring at my main menu screen midway (lol) through each and every online game I join.
I still think that Epic took this route due to all the issues with UT2003/4's stat server issues. Honestly, compared to that server, how many times have we seen GS's server inaccessible?

I'm done. I'll leave this on my PC in hopes for a fix, but I'm not holding my breath. I seriously doubt Epic even acknowledges this game exists anymore. If they do, it's probably a big joke around the offices.
WTF? Two big patches and a bonus pack and you say Epic has forgotten about the game? Do you live under a rock, perhaps?

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
I honestly believe that now just isn't the time for an Unreal franchise game. Or any other fast-paced arena shooter for that matter.

In my opinion it's just the current trend in gaming. Suddenly everything has to be casual and "tactical" (note I put that between quotation marks, the modern day tactical games have nothing on old school rainbow 6 and the likes...).
In other words, everyone wants to pretend they're tough cybersoldiers, a one man army that will save the world while grunting expletives and cheesy one-liners. That takes away interest from the game itself, and perfectly fits the 'play-once-throw-away' theory that was mentioned above (that I completely agree with, btw)

Look at all the recent games like GoW, R6, Army of Two, etc where you can take cover.... The only difference between taking cover by pressing a button and taking cover by crouching/standing behind it the old-fashioned way is the visuals.
Any game allows you to take cover, but the newer "tactical" games offer a visual "badass" representation of that.
So basically, everyone marvels over mediocre storytelling, awesome graphics, and the completely cool new and innovative function of taking cover that has been around since Doom '95 but now has it's own animation. After they get bored with this gimmick, they move on to the next game. Repeat endlessly.

I hope this will pass.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
I know that there are differences. But it is my interpretation that for example the vehicle steering works better on analog sticks and was kept that way because of time reasons.

And I am in no way saying I am right, just how I think it might have been. I think so also because of the fact, that Mark mentioned that more than half of the staff at EPIC prefers controller over KB/M for playing UT3 and that all the testing we have seen is done with a controller. So yeah, you might be rioght, that it was preference. A preference I don't agree on in the vehicle gametypes, because to me it feels to controller-optimized.

Vehicles were designed for consoles. The Hellbender controls are awful with mouse and keyboard.

Judge Dredd Lox

"Bread and butter" my ass!
Feb 12, 2008
I still think that Epic took this route due to all the issues with UT2003/4's stat server issues. Honestly, compared to that server, how many times have we seen GS's server inaccessible?QUOTE]

I have never had any issues with the UT2k stat server. Can you please tell us what you are talking about? I have seem more than a few people talk about Gayspy's server.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
By consolized, I think what many people mean is that they took a game that was famous for it's customizations, and performance scaling and nuked away all but the map editor.

And none of that really says anything about it being 'consolized'.

Vehicles were designed for consoles. The Hellbender controls are awful with mouse and keyboard.

Ok... first you say 'vehicles', implying the entire set was designed for console controls, then you only mention the Hellbender. Without even pointing out that tweaking a control scheme for either platform would be a trivial matter, I'm simply chalking it up to you not liking the way it controls and extrapolating your entire 'console' theory onto the rest of the game.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Simplified what? The menu? The gameplay is more or less the same as Unreal Tournament. That's a rather broad brush that people tend to use in a knee-jerk fashion imo.

At any rate, the Hellbender control falls squarely outside of that and into personal preference, as do most of the complaints.

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I still think that Epic took this route due to all the issues with UT2003/4's stat server issues. Honestly, compared to that server, how many times have we seen GS's server inaccessible?QUOTE]

I have never had any issues with the UT2k stat server. Can you please tell us what you are talking about? I have seem more than a few people talk about Gayspy's server.
I remember the stats server being down for long periods of time, like weeks and on to months. Did I miss a memo or something?

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
I remember the stats server being down for long periods of time, like weeks and on to months. Did I miss a memo or something?
And who cares about stats?

I'm with Grrl, they just need to do as they did with 2kx and say "hey, we focked up the release of this one but now we make it the way it was supposed to be and re-release it". Hopefully with a discount for the ones who bought UT3. I don't like whining so I try to avoid it, but even thou I was teh fanboi up until the release of UT3 all the disappointments have made my UT3 shortcut end up in the unused icons folder. Call it UT3.5 or whatever, finish the game up, fix all the mistakes and I will take my finest fanboy hat back out of the closet. =)

Last edited:

Crotale

Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I can assure that I don't care about stats, but evidently quite a few players do. But, just because you and I don't care about stats does not make them irrelevant. I recollect a lot of complaints about the stats server being down for months. Every thread started on it got closed/deleted. Heck, Epic even put a sticky up for a bit about the server being down and everyone would be notified when it came back up.

Yeah, I'd like to see a 3.5 or whatever released maybe next year or so with some new content, etc. But, I'm not sure it would appease the PC crowd enough at this point. Plus, it would really make cooking maps, etc a real biotch for PS3, unless they get the new version too. Oh, and we shouldn't forget the 360. I have a feeling it would not be worth the trouble unless Epic decided, for whatever reason, to try and win back a hundred thousand or so PC gamers who walked away from the series. There may be more that could come back to the series, but I doubt it.

I think the whole thing is a no win situation. If Epic makes a stand-alone PC version, the console gamers would be pissed and PC gamers would still say they won't pay twice for the game "they should have had in the first place." Not my words in the quotes; I was echoing what many others have said.

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
I think the whole thing is a no win situation. If Epic makes a stand-alone PC version, the console gamers would be pissed and PC gamers would still say they won't pay twice for the game "they should have had in the first place." Not my words in the quotes; I was echoing what many others have said.

:( They should have just left UT on pc and do another UC for consoles! Dammit why EPIC!! WHY!!!!:lol: You're probably right, while I hope for it, I honestly doubt they will make a UT3.5 mostly due to the complications with consoles which really REALLY sucks. Plus now they have their GOW2 project to finish. It just seems like no matter what they do, they will anger someone. Like a snowball of pissed off people, lol.

Oh, by the way, EPIC, on the offchance you do create a UT3.5 or whatever, don't actually call it UT3.5 please!

Last edited:

Shadow]I[

Dec 3, 2002
Utah
Apart from the menu system, what exactly is "consolized" about UT3? Right, nothing. That's what I thought.

ooh ooh i have one, how about mouse sensitivity being based on your framerate? since consoles have your FPS capped at 30, your sensitivity is always the same

guess they forgot to fix this for the pc ;)

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
And most console games also don't survive the hardware upgrade path (how many total Xbox games play on the 360?). PC games often do still play upwards (I still play Q3A on newer hardware after probably five or six upgrades since it's release and love it).

Even though GoW XB360 has sold probably 10x of UT3 PC, a year from now there will be more people still playing UT3 PC than GoW XB360, if anyone even plays GoW at all by that time. But companies need income, and consoles are where the sales and money are, so that is where companies will go.

Theres only about 400 people worldwide playing UT3 right now. In a year, my guess is this game will be completely dead. However, there are still quite a few people playing Unreal Tournament and Unreal Tournament 2004, so your argument does hold weight. Its just that UT3 left a bad taste in most people's mouths, so there is really no reason to come back to it.

DGUnreal

Level Designer
May 22, 2006
Epic should just leave the PC crowd alone and move solely to consoles. Unless their morals change on how they port their console games, every game they port to PC will continue to Sink.

I hope they don't. I like their games.

Many console to PC ports are not done well. I have some from other companies including Microsoft that were just hacked onto the PC, so I tend to stay away from ports. The GoW PC port I have other feelings on that matter which I won't discuss publicly.

By consolized, I think what many people mean is ...

They also plugged the game into an online ...

... before they released this unfinished ...

I'm almost sorry if I sound bitter, but I bought a new rig mainly to play UT3 ...

I'll leave this on my PC in hopes for a fix, but I'm not holding my breath. I seriously doubt Epic even acknowledges this game exists anymore.

iirc Epic stated a long time ago in early UT2007 comments that they were moving from the UT2004 to UT99 style of play and making things easier for newbies. Personally, I don't find anything "consolized" about the maps or gameplay, and the menu system is more than fine with me since I always run everything to the maximum and have no need for the "tweaker" stuff that people are complaining about. Even with UT2004 I ran all settings to max.
For those people who like to play with settings instead of actually playing the game, those with the mindset that they need to tweak their computer to overclock so that they get 50 more points on 3DMark (with no actual performance difference in real-world applications), then perhaps the menus are not enough. I will agree that they could have split some of the video settings down a bit, but I don't find it a "problem" with the game.

I've never had any issues with online play, although I do mostly LAN and single. I also have other games by other developers/publishers that use GameSpy and I've not had issues with them either.

I will agree to some degree that a few areas felt unfinished, or perhaps some of the features that we've come to know in UT2004 were left out so we only felt that way. But the same can be said of many other games. At least Epic tends to be good at patching things quickly. Many other companies take many months to release patches.
And I doubt that any shortcomings are easily blamed on Epic. More goes on behind the scenes of releasing a title than that. Pressure from publishers, decisions to release at specific times of year, the unfortunate timing of other hot releases that show up on the store shelves at the same times, etc.
Another thing to keep in mind is that current generation and next generation titles take considerably more work to create. The number of man-hours to create all of the assets (textures and meshes) is staggering for a title like UT3.

I understand your frustration, however, I don't feel it is entirely accurate or properly placed. UT3 is not as bad as what most of the nay-sayers are making it sound like.

I don't believe this of Epic at all. I cannot speak for them regarding how much future time and resources they will put into upcoming UT3 content, however, many gamers are comparing UT3 to UT99 and UT2004 -- unfortunately, Epic as a company has changed in that they are a large middle-ware company now, the world of gaming has changed, computers have changed, popular game styles have changed, we are into a new generation of youth with different attitudes (I want it all and I want it now), etc.

I honestly believe ...

All good points.

They should have just left UT on pc and do another UC for consoles!

I'm glad they didn't.
That would mean dividing up their in-house resources even more, so even fewer people working on UT3. Plus by providing UT3 cross-platform, the console gamers get to benefit from the community created content.

Theres only about 400 people worldwide playing UT3 right now. In a year, my guess is this game will be completely dead.

Its just that UT3 left a bad taste in most people's mouths, so there is really no reason to come back to it.

I doubt it will be dead. There will be a number of people who will prefer to play UT3 over going back to UT2004 or previous titles. UT3 will keep going for a number of years. Compare it to other games that have actually been cancelled such as IG/Vivendi's 'Tribes Vengeance', which still has a small but thriving community.

I feel that only some people had this "bad taste", probably because they were expecting something else or because they were expecting the world. In either case, that would be their own fault for assuming the game was going to be something it isn't. I'm not stating that as bad or a flame, just that we shouldn't think the game should be something it's not.

Personally, I really like UT3 and I prefer playing it over UT2004, online and in LAN parties here. When UT99 was out, we played that game to death. In our UT2004 LAN parties I often enabled Low-Grav etc. since if your player can unrealistically leap 20 feet in the air, you may as well make it 100 feet... We eventually stopped playing UT2004 for the most part about a year before UT3's release, and went onto Q3A, FEAR, BF2142, ET:QW, etc. because the floatiness of UT2004 and its hitscan dominance does detract from the gameplay. UT3 has brought back a solidity to the game that is more like UT99 and Q3A, making the overall game experience more fun. I usually have to pry the guys off of the PCs here to get them to leave...

Last edited:

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
I doubt it will be dead. There will be a number of people who will prefer to play UT3 over going back to UT2004 or previous titles. UT3 will keep going for a number of years. Compare it to other games that have actually been cancelled such as IG/Vivendi's 'Tribes Vengeance', which still has a small but thriving community.

Or compare it to even older games like the Little Big Adventure series. It didn't even have a multiplay feature, but even after 10+ years since the last game there is still a active community.