Unreal Tournament III Wishlist

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
I don't agree with that at all ... sure these combatants seem to be more muscular but are they really ... I'm not so sure ... Malcolm doesn't look all that much bigger to me ... just more defined now. But even if these characters are larger than in the past in terms of humans they are nowhere as big as the Juggernauts from UC2 and that is what Gorge should be look like when he is brought into the UT3 Universe. They don't need to change a thing. If you look at a picture you can see clearly that the Juggernauts in UC2 are much larger than the ones in UT2Kx which were actually shorter than regular merc models. Gorge rules ... except of course over Malcolm but I like him and think we need a huge pyscho in the tourney. Actually I always wanted to see Nikolai made into a UC2 model ... he seemed more menacing than Gorge to me.

More than anything though I would like to see the return of the Anubans armed with their lightning guns.

I have to agree with lethargy in that all the characters are just big lumps now. I never liked the juggernauts. I thought they aways looked like little dwarves in power armor, and I didn't know how they could walk, let alone jump around like acrobats.

The characters in UT3 give me the same feeling. Besides tree-trunk limbs, they just have so many huge pieces of armor on them, it looks too cartoony to me. How do they lift their arms, how do they do anything but waddle? You'll see a guy with stuff strapped to his forearm that is bigger than his already huge forearm. They want to throw a washed-out gritty realism effect over all the visuals, but I can't take these little dwarves seriously enough for that. When you add the bright teamglowstick effect, it's just too much. I liked how in UT1, the players looked like reasonably-proportioned athletes.

Anyway, enough of that rant. Yes, I was very disappointed with UT3, but here is my list of things that would mostly neutralize that disappointment. Some of them are things that may be too big, or too late to do now, but take it for what it is:

- Everyone, even Epic, knows a better UI is needed, I almost don't have to list it. But specifically, I want mutator lists and map lists for offline to stay so I don't have to reset them every game. I do not understand why it isn't like that anymore. Also, I need to be able to configure bot teams like we could before. Yes, need. In fact, I had hoped that Epic would have taken a cue from mapmixer, and included that massive functionality when they told us how awesome this game would be for offliners. Now, I'm just hoping that mapmixer is even possible for UT3, the dev is having trouble with missing coding functions.

- New gametype. Something NEW, please! I was tricked into thinking warfare was something radically different, but it turned out to be just an ONS mod.

- New weapons. I really liked the new vehicles, if they had an alternate weapon set to counterpoint the same old weapons we've had for years, I would be excited.

- Bot editor. An option like the player setup screen where you can create bots and set their attributes.

- Old gametypes restored. AS, DOM, classic DOM, even. Invasion, though they'd need monster models. Even if they were to do just a couple maps for each, at least it would give a base and a standard of quality for the community to build on. I don't like their solution of "if the community wants it, let them do it all." With that, we're left waiting, and who knows what kind of quality we'll end up with? Not that I think modders are doing a bad job, but come on, Epic.

- More characters, more custom pieces for the existing ones. Specifically, I would like characters that are more 'human'-shaped as opposed to these chunky hippos. Sorry if my criticism of the design sounds harsh, I just don't get how people think it looks cool.

Those are my main concerns, and without them offline UT3 has been pretty dull for me, not at all like I was led to believe it would be. The cut-scenes look nice and everything, but I wish they could go back and time, and take all the resources they spent on the SP 'campaign,' and redirect them into some of the things I mentioned.

Growler

Jul 26, 2004
Including the things above, just one other thing for me:

*FULL* DirectX10 support & application!

Persefone

Ms God!
Jun 2, 2005
Like I posted a stupid post (you can see the post if you go through the posts above this post till you get to the post previously mentioned in this post) I feel i must make a great contribution to this thread.

I wish, I wish...

hmm...

...a tournament and an in game editor to create my own tournaments where I can place the maps I want. If I want to create and only ctf tournament I´d like to be able to do such a wonderful thing and so on...

...Duel is supossed to be a gametype but it has not specific maps neither is possible to set clasification rounds on multiplayer or single player.

Little things like those ones.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
A Linux version would be excellent.

More player models of a quality like the Spawn one would be great. The glowing green giblets are superb, and the overall look seems sharper. There has been some discussion that it is really hard to create custom characters this time around, and if that could become easier that would be superb. Even some mediocre functionality like a standard model that people could "skin" with some bitmaps could be pretty cool, especially if the skins could be distributed across network games automatically.

A pick-up or some sort of boost that gave the player situational awareness, like for example the minimap in Quake Wars with triangles for the foes, but of course cooler, could be interesting.

Displaying the achievements on a single screen at the end of an instant action game, like UT2K4, would be great, as would be bringing back "m-m-m-monster kill-kill-kill-kill."

Something for recording FragBU sessions or the like would be great. For a poor offline player like myself there doesn't seem to be much available in online recordings to download, and some discussion in other threads has implied this is due to some problem recording games.

For instant action some more powerful map selection functionality would be nice, like being able to sort the maps by name, adding or removing maps with multiple selection, remembering the last map played, and being able to have a set of maps, pick one in the middle, and then cycle through the maps from that point on.

Also for instant action some way to vary the default number of players per map would be great, so e.g. instead of selecting a fixed number to play on all maps in a set, one could select max recommended, or min recommended, or max plus X.

Some more devastating weapons like the redeemer could be cool, like a bomb of some sort, say. Or a temporary enemy weapon suppressor, so that foes within some range wouldn't be able to fire. There's some sort of invincibility power-up on one of the maps, Fearless I think, that has a similar effect.

A weapon like the lancer from Gears might be cool for more hand-to-hand play. Odin knows Gears is in dire need of a flak cannon.

On the carnage side, having blood/oil/spawngoo stains stay for the duration of a match, and having them make the surface slippery, would be slick.

Graphically, being able to see one's reflection would be great. I speculate left-handed people might also want to be able to see left-handed characters if that isn't already an option.

I don't know if it's appropriate for UT3, but having a damaged player be lamed somehow might be interesting, e.g. if you're down to 25% then you have a limp, leave a trail of blood/oil/spawngoo, and move more slowly. Or more quickly, if you can slide on your own blood.

Being able to customise the colour on a model would also be great, to get something other than red or blue. Green for St. Patrick's day, for example.

Some sound clips for use as new message (say 3s to 5s) and voice (say 15s to 20s) ringtones. I've tried copying a few from the main menu music, but Epic's pro audio people could do it perfectly.

Allow PS3 and PC players to play on the same servers, warts and all, so that ForceOfGod can get a decent game.

Last edited:

Growler

Jul 26, 2004
Some more devastating weapons like the redeemer could be cool, like a bomb of some sort, say. Or a temporary enemy weapon suppressor, so that foes within some range wouldn't be able to fire. There's some sort of invincibility power-up on one of the maps, Fearless I think, that has a similar effect.

I guess by that you don't mean a "Suicide combo sets off explosion/Redeemer-type 'boom'" then - that'd still be cool for a mutator [....for a while---lol! Just found it! http://forums.beyondunreal.com/showthread.php?t=175446 ]

I'm still waiting for someone to mod the Railgun & BFG from Quake 3 :D

Last edited:

Vigil

Jan 20, 2008
A fix for not being able to chat anything that includes an apostrophe because it's hardcoded to a console bind.

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
An option for non-dynamic music.

Minor code changes so modders can create content we've gotten for every other UT game except UT3 because hard-coding forbids or makes these efforts too difficult (usually the former).

Free up the possibility of community-made factions.

Jpnz

Mar 29, 2008
- Stats processed by Epicgames, like UT2004.

- Forward double dodge somersault, instead of a dull forward 'lunge'.

Skaxis

Oct 25, 2003
Everett, WA
Visit site
A Super-Wowie-Zowie Mod/Mutator Translator which will RE-Code as necessary any previous UT2K4 content to function within the new engine.

I want my UTXMP baby!!! XD Best game-type ever seen IMHO.

ALSO - Even if my desire for XMP gametype to be auto-ported is not shared, I think we can agree from all that we read about things that people miss and want reverted or restored that such a utility SHOULD be available for any Unreal Tournament product going forward or you will see either a need for PROFOUNDLY improved Unreal releases or you will see the death of Unreal Tournament products going forward.

My 2 cents. Not picking a fight. But we can see the patterns unless we are blind.

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Moar is the new teh.

-Avalanche and Onyx Coast to be balanced maps.

-Warfare maps with multiple links to a single node unlike the linear progression the stock maps have.

-Along with other characters, Mr. Crow. No I'm not joking. MIIIIIIISSSSTER CROW!

-Moar balance with Necris vs. Axon vehicles. The SPMA should rival the Nightshade in functionality IMO, same goes for Hellbender vs. Nemesis.

-Moar 32 player WAR and VCTF maps. Good ones. Because the vehicle gametype servers that do have people on them are often 18 - 24 players.

-And of course, a better menu.

Along with these small contributions, I also wish for pretty much everything all the other posters in this thread have wished for.

Fuzz

Enigma
Jan 19, 2008
Universe
I'll reactivate this thread by posting in it. This is a generally optimistic thread compared to the other ones.

Of course I wish for all the regular gametypes to return. Assault, Bombing Run, Domination and Double Domination. I would also like to see Conquest. All this probably already mentioned above. Everything from the past, hyped up to UT3 standards would be nice.

Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Customised hands for MacTom27's Liandri robot models in first-person view.

For instant action deathmatch, some setting to randomise the bots for each match. At the moment whatever set of bots is chosen for the first map in a set sticks for the rest of the maps.

A Linux version.

A quicker charge-up time for the Impact Hammer.

More detailed results at the end of a map, maybe local stats for us off-liners.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
This is all i need, then i'm set for life:

1) A finsihed Instant Action mode, with menu's that save your stuff and all the familiar options and features we have come to expect of the franchise.

2) Larger and more open maps, especially for DM and CTF, a little variety would be nice, it doesen't all have to be in your face CARNAGE! all the time.

3) Player models, and more to the point, ones that dont look like Jugg's in Megaman boots, again, a little variety is all i need.

4) A few choice weapon muties to spice things up with, the kind that has new models and all, something like Ballistic Weapons would really hit the spot.

Thats it really.