How is the ps3 version doing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eastgate2

May 17, 2003
orbiting
I find it really sad that I can't find servers to join on pc version. I'm doubtful that this will change with any custom map packs or official add-ons.

What I am curious is how is the ps3 version doing, in terms of number of online players/servers etc...Was it worth for epic to target console players or ps3 servers are also empty? I have no idea how the console version of this game works.

Harlock

Married And Always Nagged
Dec 11, 1999
Riverside, CA (USA)
maanclan.com
The game on the PS3 is dead as dead can be. No hope for a resurrection either with the games lineup coming this year. The console crowd can be very fickle about what they play. It also seems that they will play a game only until the next game comes out, no matter how ****ty the new game is. Perfect example is people playing COD4 and then "retiring" for RSV2. It is a shame too. UT3 works quite well on the console. It really could have been the "HALO" of the PS3, even if I do hate the comparison myself. The poor marketing prior to release is to blame. I did see them try and step it up after release, but by that time is was far too late. Only the "Hardcore" players seem to still log in and play.

eastgate2

May 17, 2003
orbiting
The game on the PS3 is dead as dead can be. No hope for a resurrection either with the games lineup coming this year. The console crowd can be very fickle about what they play. It also seems that they will play a game only until the next game comes out, no matter how ****ty the new game is. Perfect example is people playing COD4 and then "retiring" for RSV2. It is a shame too. UT3 works quite well on the console. It really could have been the "HALO" of the PS3, even if I do hate the comparison myself. The poor marketing prior to release is to blame. I did see them try and step it up after release, but by that time is was far too late. Only the "Hardcore" players seem to still log in and play

Well, that tells it then. I hope epic learned a lesson. Every game that born on pc with later versions dumbed down to consoles failed to win the hearts of neither crowd. I'd love to play ut3 online despite its flaws but can't find any servers.

I doubt that any xbox versions of ut3 will make a magic on the series.

Tweakd

Multiplayer notepad ftw!
Feb 20, 2008
Scotland
They did, from now on no more Unreal Tournament

That was funny but i hope it's not accurate. Maybe next time they will get it right and save the franchise. UT3.5 would do me. All that UT3 needs is an increase in players.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Hopefully the next UT doesn't have a bunch of ppl whining about it 5 months after release....

PS3 is not dead, the patch just came out and ppl need to be patient. My brother has never had any issues playing online, or finding a server since the patch. PC is not dead either, numbers keep getting better, and it has barely been a week since Epic got on Steam. Again, be patient.

One thing that isn't helping is trolls... If you want to complain about not enough ppl online, well, get online and contribute yourself! I have never had any issues getting into a server (minus CTF), and there are always games going. Yeah, there isn't 50,000 servers to choose from, but do you really need that many? You will never play on them all...

oh yeah:

:deadhorse:

Trat

Tr@t
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
Nah, the PS3 version isn't dead: I can play any game type online, any time of the day with plenty of users. Also, I have like 100 custom maps already on it and it works pretty sweet for me. The problem was Epic shutting up their mouth about what was happening prior to the patch. Many people left then. Also, their mods are total *******s so the few people that went on the forum also left. Also, they ****ed PS3 big in the ass with shutting up about splitscreen not making it into the final product while it was stated as a "no brainer" in interviews prior to the release of the PS3 version (I swear to whatever, if the 360 version gets splitscreen I will burn down that Epic HQ). To make maters worse, one of the most important functions for UT3 on the PS3 (or PC, for that mater) was totally ****ed up: communications. There is no txt messaging at all, but the thing that should have worked from the start was VOIP. That was so messed up. Now it works and it pays of, but I guess some people left what they thought was a sinking ship.

Anyway, the only real problem for me isn't the lack of servers (there are plenty): it's the lack of custom maps that people play. They don't update or don't even have the maps installed and assume the game downloads it automatically. So you start a server and people come and go but you seldom get a full server this way (I know, they are retards). Auto download will never work, we all know the reasons. Epic needs to make some sort of PSN store only for mods if it doesn't want their mod support for PS3 to end like the fiasco it is now. This will work: people want free stuff but don't want to download crap on their PC and transfer it. Epic should also try to talk the ******* modders (like those HOLP asses) who don't want to cook their content for PS3 (for whatever insane reason) into doing it anyway. This way, everything possible should end up on PS3. What happens now is that cookers, cook content that PC elites don't want on the PS3 anyway (which is fine with me) so you get different named maps, which are the same in fact. That way, everything will end up on PS3.

I sense a big hate against the PS3 / consoles in general, by some UT3 users. They (PC users) shouldn't forget that consoles sell games and that without consoles, devs (like Epic) might not consider making games for the PC anymore (since they sell much less due to all sorts of reasons). Console gamers want to game. If a game sucks, they sell it. If a game is cool but a cooler one comes along, they will rather play the cooler one (just like any sane person who is into gaming). Only if a game is really fun / cool (this isn't about GFX or actual quality, its about the perception of the users), it still is played online. Like Resistance. No online play = dead game.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Epic should also try to talk the ******* modders (like those HOLP asses) who don't want to cook their content for PS3 (for whatever insane reason) into doing it anyway. This way, everything possible should end up on PS3. What happens now is that cookers, cook content that PC elites don't want on the PS3 anyway (which is fine with me) so you get different named maps, which are the same in fact. That way, everything will end up on PS3.

I sense a big hate against the PS3 / consoles in general, by some UT3 users. They (PC users) shouldn't forget that consoles sell games and that without consoles, devs (like Epic) might not consider making games for the PC anymore (since they sell much less due to all sorts of reasons). Console gamers want to game. If a game sucks, they sell it. If a game is cool but a cooler one comes along, they will rather play the cooler one (just like any sane person who is into gaming). Only if a game is really fun / cool (this isn't about GFX or actual quality, its about the perception of the users), it still is played online. Like Resistance. No online play = dead game.

OMG please don't bring that BS argument to these threads please. Epic has made a decision ... the decision is to respect the wishes of the mod author. You want some content so badly .. instead of complaining learn to mod. I swear you are only coming over here talking this crap because you know it will get you banned on the Epic boards. So what if people hate the PS3 ... that is their business ... I am sure there are some things you dislike intensely and you sure would not appreciate someone telling how you need to feel and need to act. Are you kidding me? We are adults ... well most of us ... and adults don't whine about the decisions other adults make ... not only do real adults respect the feelings of an artist and what medium they want there art displayed in, they do something about it if they feel the situation needs to change.

Trat

Tr@t
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
OMG please don't bring that BS argument to these threads please. Epic has made a decision ... the decision is to respect the wishes of the mod author. You want some content so badly .. instead of complaining learn to mod. I swear you are only coming over here talking this crap because you know it will get you banned on the Epic boards. So what if people hate the PS3 ... that is their business ... I am sure there are some things you dislike intensely and you sure would not appreciate someone telling how you need to feel and need to act. Are you kidding me? We are adults ... well most of us ... and adults don't whine about the decisions other adults make ... not only do real adults respect the feelings of an artist and what medium they want there art displayed in, they do something about it if they feel the situation needs to change.
You are that troll on the Epic forum that gets people banned there, or aren't you on the Epic forum? I've read about you.

Anyway, I never said how people should feel. I only reminded them off how things work anno 2008 with businesses and consoles.

Anyway, I know how to mod. I cooked all HOLP maps for the PS3. Does that count? I keep them for myself though, don't worry.

I respect the artist feelings but that doesn't mean I have be on one line with them. It also doesn't mean I have to sit arround like a morron and accept how things are. I can take action any time I want and will do so.

About the "we are adults, and adults don't whine about other adult's decisions" part. Do you live in a dictatorial country? I mean it, I really like to know this - cause you sound like an opressed person. Why wouldn't I open my mouth when a desicsion isn't to my liking? Is this the Sovjet Rep. of China? Don't tell me what I can, or cannot do.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Oh god. They're invading BU too.

The bottom line is, if you want to cook something for yourself, that's fine if you know how to do it. If the author doesn't want to cook it, well then that's how it is. If someone cooks it without their permission (or as is more often the case, without them knowing, and often removing their credit), and makes it available to others, then they're being immensely disrespectful to said author.

A modder doesn't have to cater to anyone's wishes, regardless of platform. You can make PC-only mods, and Ps3-only mods, that's just how it flies. They don't owe anyone anything, you can't demand it from them, it's not your right to receive anything, so a player should be grateful they're spending hundreds of hours and getting nothing in return in the first place.

Trat

Tr@t
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
Oh god. They're invading BU too.

The bottom line is, if you want to cook something for yourself, that's fine if you know how to do it. If the author doesn't want to cook it, well then that's how it is. If someone cooks it without their permission (or as is more often the case, without them knowing, and often removing their credit), and makes it available to others, then they're being immensely disrespectful to said author.
The point is, when people ask for a cook it means they like it. Holding that stuff away from them isn't gonna change the need for it, it only fuels the desire. Besides that, If the modder cooked it in the 1st place, he wouldn't have to be bitchy about people not crediting him / her; he would placed all that info in the map info himself and people wouldn't be bothered to cook the map and leave that info out of it. Cooking these maps takes like 5 minutes...

A modder doesn't have to cater to anyone's wishes, regardless of platform. You can make PC-only mods, and Ps3-only mods, that's just how it flies. They don't owe anyone anything, you can't demand it from them, it's not your right to receive anything, so a player should be grateful they're spending hundreds of hours and getting nothing in return in the first place.
I remember reading about a guy making a PS3 only mod and the PC community cried a river to get it. He did give it. Anyway, modders shouldn't cry a river. If people want their content, they will get it anyway. There is nothing he can do about that, it's like carrying water to the sea.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The point is, there might be a reason it isn't cooked, it might be in beta, and thus isn't finished, or, more often as is the case, there are technical issues with the cook.

Either way, all it takes is to ask if you can cook it for them. It's not like many people (if any) are going to say no, and as if it takes more than 10 seconds to ask for permission.

Trat

Tr@t
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
The point is, there might be a reason it isn't cooked, it might be in beta, and thus isn't finished, or, more often as is the case, there are technical issues with the cook.
I'm not talking about technical constrains of the PS3 or the content in question being pre release. I actually see many problems with betas on the PS3 since very few people care about updating their content - only final versions would be ideal. I'm talking about modders who refuse to cook their content for PS3 because they CAN. There are many mappers supporting the PS3, which is good. But mappers like the guys from HOLP just didn't care for PS3 since they felt like the PS3 isn't the platform for their super playable maps. Abject nonsense, playability stand before GFX - even on the PS3, just look how inferior Resistance looks and how über populair it still is.

Either way, all it takes is to ask if you can cook it for them. It's not like many people (if any) are going to say no, and as if it takes more than 10 seconds to ask for permission.
Well, there are many cases in which the modder is very thankfull that someone wants to cook it for them. Unfortunate to tell you, but there are also cases where they refuse to give their "persmission".

Look, its very simple: mods are free, there is no licensing agreement of any form - just you shouldn't sell it. The base versions are the PC version - no question about that. Say I made a musical album and release it for free on the web. How morronic is it then if I would be pissed off when people choose to download that album and convert the songs to, say 192kbs mp3s to put it on my mp3 player?

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Did you read my argument?

If you have something already, you're free to do what you like with it. Fine, put music on your Mp3 player, fine cook maps for yourself.

Don't redistribute it. Don't strip the author of their credit.

There's always a 'license', a set of rules attached. If people want to make their content 'open source' or free to redistribute, then they'll say so - otherwise respect their wishes.

You can find free music on the web, but I'm pretty sure they'll be pissed off if they find that you have it on your website, and have removed the authors names. That's not the same as putting it on your audio player, it's wrong.

And it's people that are doing that that are giving the Ps3 community an increasingly bad image, and why people are increasingly refusing to cook content. The more people argue the toss, the more people give up completely.

The rules (legal and otherwise) have been hard-set for years, decades within the developer community - why should it suddenly change when another platform is unhappy that someone has a specific platform in mind? Since when did Mac owners start porting free software without permission? It never happened, and it shouldn't. That's the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.