UT3.5 or UT4?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

rythem

Feb 13, 2008
And where did you hear this bit of information? I recall epic saying that the next ENGINE was going to be geared towards consoles.

Ah, I think thats what I was thinking of. oops =)

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/36390/118/

Tim Sweeny said:
"...There is a long life ahead for Unreal Engine 3. Version 4 will exclusively target the next console generation, Microsoft's successor for the Xbox 360, Sony's successor for the Playstation 3 - and if Nintendo ships a machine with similar hardware specs, then that also. PCs will follow after that..."

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
If the focus of their engine and the way UT3 has turned out is any indication of where their minds are, UT4 will most likely be even more consolized than this one.

Translation: Suck.
Apart from the menu system, what exactly is "consolized" about UT3? Right, nothing. That's what I thought.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
Apart from the menu system, what exactly is "consolized" about UT3? Right, nothing. That's what I thought.
Please... Just cause you run an unreal fansite doesn't mean you have to be a blind fanboy of it. Ok?

Anyway.. Even formerly big ut fans like myself can see how ut has been beaten and consolized this time around. That's why those of us with our eyes open don't have high hopes for 4.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Please... Just cause you run an unreal fansite doesn't mean you have to be a blind fanboy of it. Ok?

Anyway.. Even formerly big ut fans like myself can see how ut has been beaten and consolized this time around. That's why those of us with our eyes open don't have high hopes for 4.

Spell it out for me then.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
The game was developed for the Pc, maps tested for the PC, THEN ported to the PS3. Therefore the only thing "consilized" is the menu/server browser/customization.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Interesting about the consolification of UT3 on PC. Let's see, the speed on PS3 is slower than PC speed. The UI is argumentatively not all that bad but not that great either, but I do not see it as "consolized." Try looking at UT2004 menu, that is what a console menu looks like, IMO. Those big bold fonts on the main menu just scream, "hey, this is not your daddy's PC!"

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Ah, nUb!

I don't have many hopes right now, but I'd go with a UT3.5, called Envy. Just another "UT2004".

Just to kick the player numbers to a higher value. I'm just beating too many bots online :hmm:

Wunderbar_007

.Lateral Thought.
Nov 11, 2005
Montreal
Guys, this isn't about UT3 being bad, it's not, not at all! It's just not finished, missing some features they've been talking about for a while and that we've come to expect from UT. The only thing BAD (consolified) about UT3 is the menu system (and possibly the campaign). Everything else is fackin awesome!! Which is why I believe adding the missing features and content and re-releasing the game (or making a massive bonus pack) is actually doable.

Argus

Spack Jazzrabbit
Feb 13, 2008
Scotland
Hal by a landslide, he has the ban stick.
I've got odds of negative a million to one on Hal.

Guys, this isn't about UT3 being bad, it's not, not at all! It's just not finished, missing some features they've been talking about for a while and that we've come to expect from UT. The only thing BAD (consolified) about UT3 is the menu system (and possibly the campaign). Everything else is fackin awesome!! Which is why I believe adding the missing features and content and re-releasing the game (or making a massive bonus pack) is actually doable.

You're right there. Is it just me, or is it as soon as some people start posting messages on a UT3 thread it becomes a UT3 bashing/whining/flaming topic?

I also believe that a BIG bonus pack would benefit the game, though I'm not sure re-releasing it is gonna help much, it's only been out for a few months and you're already thinking of replacing it? Unless of course they release what you're thinking about as an expansion pack. A giant bonus pack for UT3 would take up WAY too much bandwidth. I mean, we only just got a tiny one with 3 maps in it, and that was what, 100+MB, so yeah, I think an expansion pack of sorts would be a good step forward.