Unreal Engine 4 Will “Exclusively Target the Next Console Generation”

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
There are plenty of other software companies out there that release software that a percentage of the public has issues with. To this day I still have intermittent problems running BF2142 because the engine has some issues. I don't go to their forums and whine that they are bad devs who don't care about us PC gamers.

It's just a game, it's not like it is a malfunctioning life-support system that you are connected up to in order to live.

If you don't like UT3, then don't buy it and don't play it. No one is holding a gun to your head. Epic didn't write it just for you to make you happy. If you don't like them as a company, then go to some other board for one of the other devs that you are happy with. We've all heard all of this bashing for months on the boards, do you think all of the whining is accomplishing anything? Is it being constructive for the community? What is it contributing? Some people just need something to complain about these days.

UT3 runs great on all of the systems in my studio and we have some great LAN parties on it. I have no more complaints or problems with UT3 than I did with UT2004.

I haven't been much to these forums in a long time, it looks like there is no good reason to come back.

*falls of chair*
you do of coarse realize the publishers got together with retail and crushed the consumers right to return bad products in the late 90s/early 2K, because of this one has 2 options find a new hobby or suck it up, and a 3rd less pure choice join with underground and download the whole game try it then asset its worth, why do you think piracy is a vibe form of boycotting when they system refuses to treat the consumer as anything more than a thief.

And the whole new game thing is a myth even mostfo the main retail stores open the things up to show the case on the display shelf.... the retail side backed by publishers are pulling the wool over the eyes of the masses and I do not like it one fcking bit, I so love it when you "holier than thou" types start up about find a new hobby,its just a games what if it dose not work run out and buy a new 50$ title.

I am sorry but I refuse to put up with publishers and retail outlets treating the consumers like unwanted leaches/leeches, I will fight for my consumer rights till the day that great train of though squishes me dead, if things do not change in the industry they will be getting less of my money and I will do everything in power to enjoy my hobby at "maximum discount".........

Sounds Good to me, honestly. I don't think that's a downside.
QFT
After U2 and UT3 they have fallen into the hack a dev pit with ID and raven and many other once great dev houses, ut04 is a polished expansion of 03, UT3 is a lack luster rushed title.

really I can not see why they can not release a new build every 3 years expand on it 1-2 years after it thenstart on a new build, do it like 03 only alil less content, sell it for 30$, the "expansion" for another 30.

They are selling half a game for retail price thats wrong and stupid IMO, hell I'd use a steam like service minus the whole mal/spy ware aspect of it.

N1ghtmare

Sweet Dreams
Jul 17, 2005
Where least expected
*falls of chair*
you do of coarse realize the publishers got together with retail and crushed the consumers right to return bad products in the late 90s/early 2K, because of this one has 2 options find a new hobby or suck it up, and a 3rd less pure choice join with underground and download the whole game try it then asset its worth, why do you think piracy is a vibe form of boycotting when they system refuses to treat the consumer as anything more than a thief.

You have heard of demos, right? You know, the things companies release before they release a game that are partial/incomplete versions of the game for free in order to allow the consumer to see if they would like to play the game or not?

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
You have heard of demos, right? You know, the things companies release before they release a game that are partial/incomplete versions of the game for free in order to allow the consumer to see if they would like to play the game or not?

Sadly since game content has shrunken over the years demos barely show you anything, you really need to know the in and outs of the full product before you buy it.

Also consoles do have worth while demos, on the 360 downloading anything is a joke and the rest of console game demos are generally from the high in trash devs (spider man and movie based stuff).

The only thing dose a demo save one from is really bad games like Kayne and Lynch dead men, for something like bioshock is dose not show the lack of depth and blandness,repetitive and a general lack of design in the mechanics....

Hell most pubs realize that demos are pointless and steal away from dev time,they need to have thos games out ASAP.....

Hell publishers and retail could get together and work out a refund minus 20$ for processing the return, the game would get a new key/manual if applicail cleaned up and sold as a returned item.

Returned items rate about 15% cheaper than new with more heavily used items begin the normal 20-30%.

Of course the industry is more like MS it distrusts its consumers and would rather not be consumer friendly... there much more interested in wasting a good chunk of revenue placing moronic protections of stuff and going after dubious pirating losses than realizing its not the pirates that are causing them to lose any more its their own choices.

_nFix

Mar 18, 2008
One of the greatest games I've ever played was the Quake3 Alpha release. God that was fun at lans. Buggy as hell, though.

There is nothing wrong with UT3. There is nothing wrong with releasing a buggy game as long as people know you are and know there are patches coming. It is the nature of software, and the creation thereof.

I dont believe for a second that Epic made UT3 simply to sell their engine and to make money.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
One of the greatest games I've ever played was the Quake3 Alpha release. God that was fun at lans. Buggy as hell, though.

There is nothing wrong with UT3. There is nothing wrong with releasing a buggy game as long as people know you are and know there are patches coming. It is the nature of software, and the creation thereof.

I don't believe for a second that Epic made UT3 simply to sell their engine and to make money.

I hated Q3 with every fiber of my being, I'll admit it was cute but I was hoping for a solid SP experience because the game gave me vibes of Q2 mixed with DOOM the MP only nature of it sicken me...and UT99 was ahell of a lot better.

And yes I do believe they are in it for money above anything, engine balling(see ID) 2nd and the design 3rd, I am sorry UT3 is under deved the editor is a joke in its current state and half maps are overly limited, at last the weapons are some what solid and the AI as good as ever(BS take notes).

Last edited:

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
I hated Q3 with every fiber of my being, I'll admit it was cute but I was hoping for a solid SP experance because the game gave me vibes of Q2 mixed with DOOM the MP only nature of it sicken me...and UT99 was ahell of a lot better.

And yes I do believe they are in it for money aboveanything, engine balling(see ID) 2nd and the design 3rd, I am sorry UT3 is under deved the editor is a joke in its current state and half maps are overly limited, at last the weapons are some what solid and the AI as good as ever(BS take notes).

Have you even used the editor? I mean heck, I have used it for the first time doing level design, and had no issues at all (besides learning it). You can do just about anything with the editor.

I mean really man, is there anything you like? You mention that the AI is good, but that is only after the patches, at release it was not that good.

I'm guessing you bought UT3 and didn't check the system requirements. now it runs like crap and you hate it. Upgrade, patch up and then come back.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
*They are selling half a game for retail price thats wrong and stupid IMO, hell I'd use a steam like service minus the whole mal/spy ware aspect of it.

I'll let that fly since Unreal Anthology was free with the purchase of UT3 back when it first shipped out.

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Have you even used the editor? I mean heck, I have used it for the first time doing level design, and had no issues at all (besides learning it). You can do just about anything with the editor.

I mean really man, is there anything you like? You mention that the AI is good, but that is only after the patches, at release it was not that good.

I'm guessing you bought UT3 and didn't check the system requirements. now it runs like crap and you hate it. Upgrade, patch up and then come back.
Try exporting a texture....try making a copy of a weapon and updating the stings to match the new names and it wont compile because they have dcked to much with the thing and released it before it was finished..... and thats just the supposed editor......
I am sorry when I pay more than 50$ for a game I expect it to be "whole", now if it was 30 or 40$ I would be less annoyed at unfinished products.

I'll let that fly since Unreal Anthology was free with the purchase of UT3 back when it first shipped out.

If they stuck with having it in all/most copies I might could say ok this is at least worth 15$, but they did not and you can buy the game new for 40+ by itself, and its still alil bugy and unfinished even with the patches.

IMO patches should not be used as a crutch, try launching a movie and have and hour of it missing here and there and the last 30 minutes still being worked on and you can get the rest of it a year after you bought it...thats BullSsht!

Publishers are using patches as a excuses to be a alcoholic, instead of enjoying it responsibly(to gee I dunno ....repair bugs) , they are taking nips now and the out of a couple hidden flasks to lean on all the time(launch unfinished projects), its just gotten out of had.

I can't really blame blame devs on some things,this issue would be something a "normal" dev could do nothing with either you release it and hope it doesn't turn people off being unfinished and lose some money or piss off the lawyers and publisher and lose more money, how ever the buck stops at the publisher and the current mindset the industry is in.

I'll give epic some credit tho they seem to be one of the few devs who actually focus on a game for about 2 years after its release polish and work on some new content for it and work that into a updated released on disc.

AS much as I hen peck at UT3 it is a better game than 03, the game types could be more robust,the GUI is bad...,and could use about 10 more maps OOTB(out of the box) the editor which IMO is half the game dose not make editing the game easier than the last Ueditor now with all the issues it has.

2 things would make this game an 7 or almost an 8, 1 the editor must export and import normal things normally, cleaned up code so noob as can handle building code exp off the game code without having to remove 5+ lines a weapon when they copy and rename them.

another thing a better GUI I can just have to deal with being a pissy arse over the map layouts and other somewhat minor things that they should deal with later.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
2 things would make this game an 7 or almost an 8, 1 the editor must export and import normal things normally, cleaned up code so noob as can handle building code exp off the game code without having to remove 5+ lines a weapon when they copy and rename them.

Erm...
you're doing it wrong(?)

Last edited:

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
Erm...
you're doing it wrong(?)

Not really, copy UTWeap_Enforcer, or UTWeap_Stinger.uc, change the stings to match the new name and watch it spit out a couple errors and 3 or 4 unknown warnings.

the last 2 UT games you could copy the weapon file update the stings get a few obscure warnings but no "unknowen" errors, now if 03 had a lot of unknowen errors for working code then forgive my annoyance with UT3 :p.

There are some issues with the UT3 ed system due to rushing this pretty much everyone will agree on (like agreeing am a whiny blow hard :eek:) .

Oh and trust me failing is something I do well I would own up to it I was failing all by myself.*lick* ^_~

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
[SAS]Solid Snake;2106323 said:
That's because you don't know how to code. The problem is, is that you seem to be a by-coincidence 'programmer'. You insert code here and there to see if something works. When it doesn't, you add +1 'fixes' and wind up with some bloated piece of crap. That's not programming.
Of coarse I am not a programmer I am a moder(or mad scientist, or myth "I substitute your reality and replace it with my own" buster :p) but I digress...

Thats the the whole thing about Uscript you do not need to know how to "code" to play around with it(its like HTML after all) and not get a ton of odd errors unless you are really screwing with things!

UT3 is a bit less noob friendly, and I am not talking about the new file structure and other changes, the the error messages need to be alil more robust... stuff like this will only confuse new "modders" even more.

Code:
C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\FirstMutator\Classes\UTWeap_Stoner.uc(16) 
: Warning, Unknown property in defaults:
bAutoActivate=FALSE

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\FirstMutator\Classes\UTWeap_Stoner.uc(17) 
Template=particleSystem'WP_Stinger.Particles.P_Stinger_MF_Primary'

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\FirstMutator\Classes\UTWeap_Stoner.uc(18) 
DepthPriorityGroup=SDPG_Foreground

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\FirstMutator\Classes\UTWeap_Stoner.uc(19) 
 SecondsBeforeInactive=1.0f

Success - 0 error(s), 4 warning(s)

[SAS]Solid Snake

Jun 7, 2002
New Zealand
www.digitalconfectioners.com
Thats the the whole thing about Uscript you do not need to know how to "code" to play around with it(its like HTML after all) and not get a ton of odd errors unless you are really screwing with things!
No it is not like HTML. Unrealscript is a programming language, not a document. HTML is not a programming language, it is a document which gets parsed by another program in order to produce results. This is much the same as CSS and XML. Let me reiterate, Unrealscript is a programming language.

Ever wonder why the major failure of a mod team is to acquire a programmer? It's for this very reason. Any mod which doesn't get a programmer is usually doomed (depending on the mod that is, content mods, don't necessarily need one).

UT3 is a bit less noob friendly, and I am not talking about the new file structure and other changes, the the error messages need to be alil more robust... stuff like this will only confuse new "modders" even more.
It is a professional, commercial engine. It isn't designed to be noob friendly. If you want a noob friendly engine, then go use QBasic, VB Basic or something.

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\FirstMutator\Classes\UTWeap_Stoner.uc(16)
bAutoActivate=FALSE

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\FirstMutator\Classes\UTWeap_Stoner.uc(17)
Template=particleSystem'WP_Stinger.Particles.P_Stinger_MF_Primary'

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\FirstMutator\Classes\UTWeap_Stoner.uc(18)
DepthPriorityGroup=SDPG_Foreground

C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Development\Src\FirstMutator\Classes\UTWeap_Stoner.uc(19)
SecondsBeforeInactive=1.0f

Success - 0 error(s), 4 warning(s)
How is that random? It is telling you what the error is. Warning, Unknown property in defaults: It is saying, you put in variables into the default properties which are not declared in the class itself.

In other words, stop bashing what you don't even understand.

Last edited:

ZippyDSMlee

May 11, 2006
[SAS]Solid Snake;2106358 said:
No it is not like HTML. Unrealscript is a programming language, not a document. HTML is not a programming language, it is a document which gets parsed by another program in order to produce results. This is much the same as CSS and XML. Let me reiterate, Unrealscript is a programming language.
I know a couple pro HTML and script peeps that could argue that point...but for minor changes(adjusting names,links,damages,ect,ect) the only difference in Uscript and HTML is you have to compile Uscript thats what I meant it might be dumbing it down to much, but it can be that easy to play with it and that makes it more attractive than the rest.

Ever wonder why the major failure of a mod team is to acquire a programmer? It's for this very reason. Any mod which doesn't get a programmer is usually doomed (depending on the mod that is, content mods, don't necessarily need one).

It is a professional, commercial engine. It isn't designed to be noob friendly. If you want a noob friendly engine, then go use QBasic, VB Basic or something.
I am not touting the prowess of programmers or their skill, I am saying there is a level of difference in a skilled programmer and a skilled moder, a programmer is highly skilled in code, a moder more of a jack of all trades and zippy would be cleaning the boots of the jacks with his spittle LOL.

How is that random? It is telling you what the error is. Warning, Unknown property in defaults: It is saying, you put in variables into the default properties which are not declared in the class itself.

In other words, stop bashing what you don't even understand.

Its random because its unknown, and part of the full code thats suppose to compile without issue, its not like its exec commands that shows up in exported UC files....

And what about the whole exporting textures thing..... surely even you could agree it could have used alil more polish before launch.

BTW is there a new Uscript refrance doc?
I compiled a old one to doc x, it and another thing ,collated the pages ready to print into a manual I want to print and bind at kinkos for 20$, its hard for me to sit and stay still at a screen, really need it in book form, I need to get down and read the damn thing see if I can burn it into my imaginary brain :lol:
But that should help me catch stanyxs,stings and other things, its not perfect (prefect would be a nice 40$ updated refrance manual that comes out every year or 2).

I really to sit down shut up and read it again, its been 4 years since I read it all the way through.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is a markup language. That means it's a language for specifying structure and content of a hypertext document. You can not use it to express algorithms, so it's not a programming language. Whoever thinks writing HTML code is programming really needs a reality check. PHP or JavaScript are an entirely different topic, those are "real" scripting or programming languages, that happen to be used in combination with or in addition to HTML for the simple reason that HTML doesn't do anything.

UnrealScript on the other hand is a programming language or, if you don't want to see it as a full-blown programming like C++ or Java, a scripting language. You use it to put algorithms into a format the Unreal Engine can understand.

Or to put it another way: When you write HTML code, you create something that's supposed to be displayed in a browser. When you write UnrealScript, you create the browser! If you want to stick with the HTML level, got open UnrealEd and click together a Kismet script.

Last edited: