Building a new pc from the ground up, advice?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I'm still not too sure about 8GB of RAM actually making a significant difference; in fact, there's a good chance not even half of that will be used, even with the programs that will be used. Also, as far as RAM clock, anything higher than DDR-800 isn't really worth it either, once again, because of the marginal improvement that you'll get out of it vs. the cost increase.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
Whatever you do, Please don't spend over $1000.00 just on the Intel CPU alone. I don't see how any CPU could ever be worth that much money, especially when it out dates itself in mere months. Unless your running servers and work stations.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Whatever you do, Please don't spend over $1000.00 just on the Intel CPU alone. I don't see how any CPU could ever be worth that much money, especially when it out dates itself in mere months.

Oh snap, I didn't see that earlier :eek:
Yeah, don't get such a top of the line CPU in an attempt to make your computer last longer. You'll find that in a few months it is suddenly a few hundred dollars cheaper, and you're gonna regret it.

J112

Very Superstitious
Dec 16, 2005
Nah dw i'm going for the core 2 quad, not the extreme =P Oh and yeah i've decided it'd be wiser to go for 4gb ram instead of 8gb, I guess i just don't need it and I can put the extra budget towards my heatsink :)

I was thinking of switching the mobo out for the Asus Striker II Formula

A little more pricey but tbh I think that the ability to provide PCIe 2.0 for the gpu would be worth it alone. Plus the Striker II will take ddr2 up to 1066. Anybody got any comments on this board? Seems to get glowing reviews (pardon the pun) across the board.

Update: CPU and Monitor Ordered, should be with me shortly :D

Last edited:

[VaLkyR]Anubis

Foregone Destruction
Jan 20, 2008
Gaia
www.youtube.com
I'd get 4 GB thanks. 2GB is lacking when you're into level design indeed. But 8GB? :lol:
Hehe,because this my dad,brother and me are going to upgrade our systems with 4GB,because my dad and brother wanna make mapping,but I don't,I just keep the gamer.:D

Well,the plan of your system looks very promising,like your updates,hope you get the hardware soon.=)

J112

Very Superstitious
Dec 16, 2005
Update here,

Finally got my stuff ordered and picked it all up today. Unfortunately the build is on hold for at least a few weeks because the processor is like practically unobtainable in the uk right now, I've got one on back order though so its all good. Everything seems ok so far, Slipped a G15 in there at the last minute, just couldn't resist. Currently using the monitor on my old setup, no dead/stucks so far. And yes, that is vista :con:

Pic for those interested in masses of packaged hardware!

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
The new version of the G15 seems to be craptastic. Basically, a color change from Blue to Orange, E-penis LCD screen with 3D clock, removal of marco keys (WTF)

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
Okay I am SERIOUS about this...

Don;t build your own system.

Rather buy a MacPro. They have 8 cores. The support up to 32GB RAM. Come w/ a 8800. And you won't find a better case period. Just do NOT BUY RAM/HDDs/ETC thru Apple cuz they really charge a lot. Rather buy the stuff of Newegg or whatever.

J112

Very Superstitious
Dec 16, 2005
Okay I am SERIOUS about this...

Don't build your own system.

Rather buy a MacPro.

Sorry but, that made me lol xD

Anyways its built, running and looking like a gloworm (a large black one). Had a fun time getting the gx2 in, actually had to cut away some of the hard drive tray. Love how they made that card with a metal case so it transfers its heat everywhere, really nice thinking there. Luckily I had a spare 90mm laying about so with a bit of modding i've got it running nicely again =P

tekheads.co.uk got a few oem Q9450 (whoop) a while back so that was a nice surprise even if I am down one case sticker. Cpu is apparently running at 28 deg C which is nice.

Northbridge runs at about 65 but honestly I don't know how good or bad that is, the south at about 55 ish. Any comments on that would be welcome.

Ut3 doesn't get a chance to slack even on the larger warfare maps at 1920x1200 so couldn't be more pleased about that. In a way i'm glad I didn't go for 8gig of ram in the end as honestly i've only seen my system use 60% so far so it would have been overkill really. Psu has so many cables left unused that its a bit of a mess inside but meh, who cares *shrug* :lol:

And Kantham, I like the keyboard personally, tbh I wouldn't have had much use for that many macro keys myself so the extra desk space is more use really, and i like the orange more, but its all preferance i guess.

Anyways Pics below along with a huge thanks for everyone that offered oppinions and advice. Cheers :tup:

(yeah its messy, but I dont see that bit if i open the case door)