Best UT Mod/Mutator of 2008 Contest

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
As you all know, I didn't have internet for a couple months. In that time, I got really bored not being able to play online whatsoever. So, I dedicated myself to code and figure out a lot of UScript by myself again. I started making a weapon mod that is basically the UT weapons with an awful lot of fixes to the way I expected the weapons in this game to be. When I started that mod I had the idea of starting a modding contest so anyone who has new ideas and is able to make a simple mutator be able to participate so that he/she can share with the UT world. Also, this would be a good idea to keep people interested in the game still since it is old and is slowly losing players and we dont want that right.

I have already written some rules for the contest and I will write them tomorrow but I will first need to see if there's any participants interested in it.

I will also need 5 experienced codders/modders to be the judges in the contest. If you think you have what it takes to be a judge, let me know or say it so here. I would also like Wormbo to be one of the judges and set up the judgement rules for the points system if possible.

So, what do you guys say... are you in?

Last edited:

War_Master

May 27, 2005
take it easy WM.:)

Take it easy?... wtf are you smoking now days?

I just noticed you just put down 2 people today without any reason: one at the MonsterHunt thread and this one. I think you should read the replies before replying with anger to people here. Or, just dont reply at all to prevent any unnecessary conflicts.

Chew-This

Jan 23, 2008
it often happens that a thread gets no much response.take it easy WM.:)

Hmm....I didn't see any hostility in the post made by (xtc).
Especially when his comment was followed by a :) face.
Granted it added no substance to the topic.
He was basically just giving his professional opinion on a deep
but dying subject.

iSenSe

on it!
Jan 20, 2008
DM-1on1SmallMountain [NL]
hmm, WM.. friend.. fellow BuFfer.. mate..

he just said the following maybe u read the sentence diferent then ts ment:
(xtc) if often happens that a thread gets no response so dont get worried and _____take it easy :)_____

:rolleyes:

*but ill reply ontopic just for you mate :D since where replying already on this thread so lets go ontopic:cheers: here goes:

iSenSe Replies:
sorry mate, i dont have any skills on that stuff, ask my anything about computers, but not that ;)

@xtc when i get home i will listen ure trance clips ;) iam now @ work and youtube is blocked here :lol:

Last edited:

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Everybody calm down ;-) and keep the thread on topic.

War master, I believe you would have had more success with this type of contest a couple of years ago. However, I do hope you'll find people who're willing/and able to participate. If it doesn't pick up, that would be a shame but there's never harm in trying.

Last edited:

sHADOWcOBRA

Feb 17, 2008
@ war : i think the problem is to find five experienced coders/modders to be the judges. apart from some regulars, most people on this part of the forum are "just" players or maybe mappers. if anybody with a good eye for class and fine content could join in, i'd be with you on this. :D

Chew-This

Jan 23, 2008
The other problem is...there is just not that many mods to make anymore.
Well....worth making I should say.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Ok, you guys inspired me again to continue this. I'll Edit it again and add some of the rules a friend and I wrote for it.

Chew-This

Jan 23, 2008
Well I guess I'll start this process. I'm not a codder/modder but I play enough to know what I'd like to see.
Here are my two idea's for mods and stop me if they are out there already.

Mod 1: Other than changing the spawn points in UnrealEd, I'd like to see a mod that gives random and varying respawn points.
I'm not a fan of bots and programed respawn points...easy kill and not a representation of a skilled player.
Just someone that knows the map.

Mod 2: Anyway to equalize Ping?
It always seems that low ping has an advantage. Would love to see everyone with similar pings.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
this is serious thread lol

376204528_5f1e15d57e.jpg

BC saw you on the Jolt server last week I think. There are better servers to go on with your high ping.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
Mod 2: Anyway to equalize Ping?
It always seems that low ping has an advantage. Would love to see everyone with similar pings.

There is already the ZeroPing (ZP) weapons for UT99. I just got my hands in some zp weapon code and will be writing it today which will have to test it out with someone to see if it actually works. The code seems to be old but hopefully it would be of some use. I just wish that the writer of zp will read this and share his knowledge with me since I've got so many weapons mods that I'd like to include the zp option. the zp code is one of the reasons I've never released anything publically btw. I am a big time zp player for years and that's one of the options I would like to have in my work at the most.

Also, I would like to see if people are actually interested in this contest just to keep UT going and still making the game interesting as we used to know it. Once I see that, I will write the rules so that we all can have some good fun doing so and so that we can keep these forums alive as well.

Oh, and guess what you guys, if people enroll to this, you'll be seen a lot more cool stuff being made for this game and that's what we want. So, what do you think?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Well, I do want to keep UT going. And it kinda keeps going anyway, seeing the Extension Pack and quite active community (compare to U2 community...). But maybe it should be like everyone could suggest 3-5 mods that they like the most (or 2 for the mods that are released and 2 for those who will be released), so we would see what mods are the best and maybe how they can be improved.