Confused Why Users Dont Play On Servers With Custom Content

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah I do enjoy some of these mutators like say super berserk and translocator but I prefer that in DM offline. I realize some people dont share my taste which is why I stick to offline for my mutators most of the time.

Infact I think the translocator can be heavily exploited in vCTF although I dont think it would matter much on your server :p

I would suggest a voting mutator perhaps if you dont already have one and let people vote off the mutators they dont like. Unless thats perhaps how it got with all those on in the first place hehe you might find they like other mutator combinations better though if you are trying to attract people who like mutators.

fuegerstef

Nov 7, 2003
KillingRoom
fuegerstef.de
This is a problem with other UT games as well. When people join servers with custom maps and/or mutators they have to wait a long time just to download the stuff they need. And it takes longer than just downloading anything off the web. Plus you also have to realize that it also bogs down the server making the whole game lag for others already on it.

That's only the case when redirect isn't set up properly (in the games where it is supported of course). And i cannot imagine decent players joining servers that aren'T set up correctly by their admins.

Last edited:

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
That's only the case when redirect isn't set up properly (in the games where it is supported of course). And i cannot imagine decent players joining servers that aren'T set up correctly by their admins.

Correct, another one of my issues is when bots are loaded on to the redirect...

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004

Yeah I didnt check across all maps but I tested in warfare and the vehicle blocking volumes dont block the trans properly or something. You can get out of the map on torlan fairly easy so I kinda just took that and thought it would cover any vehicle gametype since the blocking volumes are probably similar. Not like DM where they seem less plyable, but hey I could be wrong ;)

Lostsoul

boobs
Jul 3, 2005
pdX, Oregun
Having to download another Zounds package is enough to make me [Tab]quit[Enter]. :)

Agreed, keeps me off of many servers, however: [Tab] set input b mutate zound off| ZOMG I HAVE MUTATE ZOUND OFF AS A BIND!! I R LEET!!!11! [Enter]* Is a great relief

*i did it via .ini, so if that is wrong, to bad

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
I think it's because compression is not that good and redirect gets caught up in that. I hope it will fixed because User content has always bee been big is UT.

[TT]BrundleFly

Jan 22, 2008
Toronto
Like I said, new maps aren't the issue. It's the stupid mutators.

People want to play the game they bought, not some bastardized version full of arbitrary changes that you like. The mutators are the cause behind your server's emptiness. Period.
And some mutators are just absolutely stupid. The biggest one I hated was where people spoke like Bart fukin Simpson. Idiotic kiddie crap... :mad:

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
Well most of the redirects are slow or don't work. Epic I'll blame for compression issues, most maps only compress 10% that makes for long wait times on PC.Not sure if this is an issue for PS3.

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
Aside from this particular server there are some reasons:

* on slower connection many servers requires a lot of downloads (along with some muts, stupid sound packs etc)
* if there are no players, there is no motivation to go there
* if I see two servers with players and see map I know and like, I go there - whether it's custom or stock map (but mostly ppl know stock maps)
* after some time some servers contain ... well, yes, custom maps, but with average quality under the stock ones (this is probably better in UT3, where stock is under quality of UT2004 for DM).

Biggest issue is always ppl's habbits I guess. Laziness to learn some new map. And also perhaps the experience "ah, another ****ty custom map" - because let's face it, there are a lot of stupid custom maps out there.

ne_skaju

lost and found
Jan 21, 2008
Izvarino
I like new maps, but hate mutators that change core gameplay in a very weird way.
Only mutators i'd favour mutators that dont change gameplay very strong (motion blur, unlimited translocator, chainsaw om DM, RipperLite) or administrative mutators like voting systems, ability to change your nick, use custom crosshairs.