UT3 + Ageia "PhysX" . Does Crysis have it too?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
First off, moderators, I wasn't sure where to post this, so feel free to move the thread elsewhere if you feel it necessary.

I looked at the wikipedia entry for AGEIA PhysX but I don't seem to understand why it's so... "unique". I mean, why would a game like Crysis not have PhysX support (If it does, it wasn't listed on Wikipedia, which as we all know, is the godly source of information ;))

Also, I understand that UT3 has AGEIA PhysX support. My question, however, is whether or not the GeForce 7 series supports PhysX. Is it GeForce 8 exclusive? I have a GeForce 7900GS.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
As far as internal physx engines go, yes its for the 8 Series cards only. But you can always buy a separate physx card and run it separately obviously. It's nice to know you don't need to buy one with an 8800 though. I'm looking forward to it since UE3 added a new branch onto their Engine as well that will make games appear even more realistic ( NaturalMotion Ltd. and Epic Games, Inc. today announced a licensing agreement to incorporate morpheme, the industry’s first graphically authorable animation engine )All licensed developers receive the new tools immediately.

Anyways, heres some recent good news.

All GeForce 8 Cards to Gain PhysX Engine Support Says NVIDIA
http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=602814

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/52561/Al...n_PhysX_Engine_Support_Says_NVIDIA.html?52561

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
DAMN. No support for GeForce 7 at all?

Makes me feel like I got the 2nd best GeForce 7 card for nothing.

Yeah, but the 7 series has the awesome feature of being able to play ut2k4 in windows XP. 8 series doesn't have that, I feel like I got the 2nd best GeForce 8 card for nothing.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Yeah, but the 7 series has the awesome feature of being able to play ut2k4 in windows XP. 8 series doesn't have that, I feel like I got the 2nd best GeForce 8 card for nothing.

wtf you talking about? I got 2k4 to work fine in XP with my 8600gts right before UT3 came out.

what drivers you usin? i can't remember what I was using then, but I always use the latest drivers (though no beta's).

UndeadRoadkill

Mar 26, 2001
wtf you talking about? I got 2k4 to work fine in XP with my 8600gts right before UT3 came out.

what drivers you usin? i can't remember what I was using then, but I always use the latest drivers (though no beta's).

Ah, my mistake, the 8600 users should be fine. It's the 8800 models, the most advanced and expensive, that are having the problem.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
Ageia PhysX is bull**** anyway!
Lol... lol no it's not.

Watch it mature. Seriously.

Btw -- I can play 2k4 on my 8800GT... that being said I run Vista so maybe that helps.

After all, Vista's the better gaming platform ;) (kidding, though yes I like Vista... totally not up to it's potential though; Microsoft really span its wheels on this one.)

Last edited:

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
so even if you got the 8800 GT back when it came out it still has internal physics, right? Its not something they just starting I mean

Works for All 8800 Series Cards, As long as its an 8800 your good to go, no matter when it released. The physx will begin through a Free Software Download. This will completely take away the need to buy a Physx Card.

Until Nvidia bought Ageia and UE3 bought (Morphene?) as well as Natural Motion .LTC' for their Engine which most Developers are licensed to and get provided the new Tools which adds Huge Support for the Physx. :B

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark

On the contrary, whilst advanced physics may not be terribly important in some genres, in most FPS games it would likely just be eyecandy gimmicks really, nor would most RTS titles have any great use for it, but think what it can do to more physics dependant genres, like Flightsims or racing games.. now that's a very different ball game, and here the PsyX could really come into its own right.

NedroidicusPrime

Walking Contradiction
Jan 25, 2008
C-Bus, USA
Lol... lol no it's not.

Watch it mature. Seriously.

Btw -- I can play 2k4 on my 8800GT... that being said I run Vista so maybe that helps.

After all, Vista's the better gaming platform ;) (kidding, though yes I like Vista... totally not up to it's potential though; Microsoft really span its wheels on this one.)

Last week they came out with a bunch of updates for Vista (like ~10), and i'm not entirely sure, but it feels like UT3 is running smoother now. I haven't seen any of the usual slowdowns on certain maps. I will have to test some more to make sure....