It's Official (as if we didn't know)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

jasposfagot

My opinion is My opinion, Yours is Yours
May 22, 2005
Epic are now concentrating primarily on consoles, and the PC is "the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we’re doing"

Well duh,

I think the PC is just in disarray… what’s driving the PC right now is ‘Sims’-type games and ‘WoW‘ and a lot of stuff that’s in a web-based interface. You just click on it and play it. That’s the direction PC is evolving into So for me, the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we’re doing. It’s important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we’re at.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/02/13/gears-of-war-creator-update/

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
He's leading the Gears of War team. What makes you think 'we' means Epic as a whole?

Your custom status and signature say all I need to know about your intentions in posting this. Stop trolling.

jasposfagot

May 22, 2005
He's leading the Gears of War team. What makes you think 'we' means Epic as a whole?

It’s important for us, but right now making AAA games on consoles is where we’re at.

Your custom status and signature say all I need to know about your intentions in posting this. Stop trolling.

So if my custom sig said

Don't be sad, Be glad
Tell everyone, UT3 is No 1

and I posted this thread, that would then mean I'm not trolling???

pffttt.

I'm not trolling, just posting an interview that people may be interested in, just like the Mike Capps interview. But if it makes you feel better, to put people who's opinions differ to yours in a certain basket, then by all means, be my guest, doesn't change the facts though. :)

Last edited:

MuLuNGuS

Apr 14, 2005
can't blame them for heading to the console,

it's a hard business and they make games to make money and this money comes out of consoles nowadays.

despite that, UT3 is a good PC-UT-game, it only needs some patching, so i only can blame them for not releasing a ready to ship game.

bitching around will not make the situation better, if you don't like it don't buy or sell it and move on to another game.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
jasposfagot, I think you're making an awful lot of assumptions. As a matter of fact, I plan on adding the story to the front page.

I made my statement based on the words you chose to put in your signature (before the BU-jab, which was a bit childish imo) and custom status, as well as the way you worded your post.

jasposfagot

May 22, 2005
I think you're making an awful lot of assumptions.

and I think you, among others, are living in denial, in a land where everything is rosy red and sunny, but thats OK, everyone is different and entitled to think, believe what they will, I have no problem with that.

(before the BU-jab, which was a bit childish imo)

Yes, I totally agree., and was actually going to remove it, (which I shall, although I think there is some truth to it, but anyway, it is gone, also altered the custom status)

@ MuLuNGuS, yes I agree, you can't blame them for targeting consoles, it would be the smart thing for a money making business to do, however, I think the fact that they keep going on about things like "PC is our Bread and Butter" etc, and claiming that PC is still the main thing, and therefore denying that they are in fact targeting Consoles more than PC, is what narks a lot of people. But no, I don't blame them as such for the move to Console.

Last edited:

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Well atleast PC is still a part of what they are doing even if it is secondary, if they had said PC has no part in what we are doing then I would be annoyed and kinda confused :lol:

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Over here in Europe, everything's alright still :) UT3 is in the top 10 where it belongs, and there's still more PC gamers than console gamers. In some countries, that is.

Spank$hot_BT

Feb 11, 2008
Over here in Europe, everything's alright still :) UT3 is in the top 10 where it belongs, and there's still more PC gamers than console gamers. In some countries, that is.

OK in europe??? Theres some major stores in the UK that don't even stock it. Server numbers are low and falling, the game itself isn't much better than other FPS online and a hell of a lot worse offline.

He and I did chat about PC development of games in general, though. It’s an important topic for the Cliff’s PC-borne development company Epic. And it’s notable how the company’s top people feel about PC game-making now, given rumors of softer-than-hoped sales for Epic’s “Unreal Tournament 3” on PC.
'We' did mean EPIC. I think this article surely spells it out for all those still in denial. UT & PC are very low on their (EPIC/Cliffys) list of priorities. The poor PC sales is as much to do with their own failings as it is the general gaming market imo.

The only reason the PC market is of any value to them was to sell a few more PS3/XBOX UT3 units on the strength of the custom mods PC users make.

I have little hope left for the future of the UT franchise on PC. :(

Last edited:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I wonder what they would have said had UT3 sold like COD4...
Heh, I was wondering the same too.

What I don't get is why other companies that release a game multi-platform manage to make it work on all their platforms and in Epic's case they just didn't.
(Well of course with that I'm implying that Epic just didn't think the PC version deserved all that much attention)

It seems to me like the other companies that attempted this took the time to get it right on all platforms. (CoD4, Bioshock, Psychonaughts :p, Orange Box, MoHA to name just a few)
It's going to be interesting to see how well Bioware deal with Mass Effect on PC, to get another good look of how well or badly a port can go.

drakon

Introverted™
Jan 20, 2008
Well the last time I checked, Capps was still the president of Epic and Cliffy was under Capps, so that would mean that Cliffy gets his orders from Capps. If Capps said Epic is moving to the console market, then ALL including Cliffy listen, or they can find another job elsewhere.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
can't blame them for heading to the console,

it's a hard business and they make games to make money and this money comes out of consoles nowadays.

That's the lamest excuse ever. I'd rather make a good competitive game than heading for the cash head and become a ****ing idiot. Richer and richer every day. But hey, that's just me.

They have almost all of their money out of the UE3. So rather than heading for consoles they should just keep one title in there and leave UT for the PC god damit.

bitching around will not make the situation better, if you don't like it don't buy or sell it and move on to another game.

Again that's just silly. But it's true however.
I like the game still and still map for it, but damn...

Last edited:

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Since their core-business is selling engine-licenses it makes sense to create a game that runs on every platform that your engine supports. That makes it easier to support customers that want a multi-platform release and it makes it easier to see what is 'needed' in the engine.

That's the lamest excuse ever. I'd rather ...
and that's why he's leading a business and you aren't. ;)

Hunter

BeyondUnreal Newsie
Aug 20, 2001
...Behind You...
www.unrealfans.com
Well the last time I checked, Capps was still the president of Epic and Cliffy was under Capps, so that would mean that Cliffy gets his orders from Capps. If Capps said Epic is moving to the console market, then ALL including Cliffy listen, or they can find another job elsewhere.

it depends if he's talking about the Gears of War or Epic as a whole.

it's all well and good to head to consoles but you don't leave the PC gamers sitting there wishing you'd released a PC version because if you forget about them the next PC title they release might just be left sitting on the shelf.

The Warden

this is usually where youll find me
Jan 24, 2003
Visit site
you know I don't even have the game INSTALLED, but you don't see me running around bitchin and Crying that it sucked, in my own opinion this is not true, the UI sucks Yes GET OVER IT. Gamespy Sucks, Why, you can't alias, again GET OVER IT.

I didn't uninstall the game cause of the last 2 issues, I uninstalled it 'cause it wasn't FUN, even botplay isn't fun, at least with UT2KX botplay was enjoyable.

It also pains me for it not to be installed 'cause there are alot of SWEET people who do play that I do miss playing with. :(

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
I love threads started by people who apparently hate the game who still post regardless of this fact.

I bet you like the game, otherwise you'd never post in the UT3 forum ever again. That is, unless you're a no life loser who finds his sole comfort in the palm of his hand. :p

Prove me wrong? :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I find it quite comical that just because some of us call out the trolls, we suddenly think UT3 is the best game ever made. Hal and I both agree that CoD4 is a much more polished and fun game than UT3 for various reasons, so we don't have the bright and sunny view of UT3 that you all think we do.

Jordan L

Jan 20, 2008
Epic are now concentrating primarily on consoles, and the PC is "the PC is kind of the secondary part of what we’re doing"

Old News, Ever since GoW's success UT and the PC have been second tier with Epic's primary focus and skills on the Console Platforms. It's only a matter of time before they completely do the switch to consoles. Ut3 is just the first ported game we will see from Epic, more to come.

To liven things up a little, Ofcourse ever since GoW started Epic's Veteran team has been working on GoW/2 while UT3 is stuck with the less skilled more Rookie like Employees, with glances from the Vets from time to time to see how their doing. It's a no wonder why Epic has been hiring the past 3 months, simply because they have been doing some firing as well. Nope I'm wrong.

I was watching the UT3 credits, and they happen to show portraits of the employees, so I kept watching from beginning to end. 4/5 Employees were wearing Gears of War hats in the credits, its like " are you kidding me ? " great support for UT guys.

Anyhow, I've been enjoying UT3 getting my rank up on the top 50 but recently I'm realizing how much of a spam fest this game really is. Theres 2 populated servers in DM ( UMG and Unreal Warzone ) in which it is normally populated with 10-16 players. All day long there are 4 maps voted, Rising Sun,
Biohazard, Deck, and Fearless. 10-16 players on Rising Sun, Biohazard, or Fearless.

3/4 of those maps are nothing but players running around with the Impact hammer, rockets flying left and right, flak balls going off in oodles all in one area constantly. It's come to the point where it really doesn't take much skill to win anymore. This is the direction Epic wanted to take UT3 though, more close combat orientated, but with half of the UT3 DM maps it doesn't work out to well. There isn't much that really separates an Advanced player and a Skilled player anymore besides timing armor.

I know that with larger maps this wouldn't be as much of a problem, but when players vote for the same cramped spam fest maps over and over again like they do, it becomes a problem, and makes ut2k4 seem like a breath of fresh air. Having no advanced dodging for these maps like Biohazard doesn't help either.

4/5 players will be excessively using Rockets, Flak, Flying Shock balls, and the
Mini which really contributes to the constant spam bath in cramped maps. With no advanced dodging in store like I said it really turns it into a whoever shoots first gets the kill.