Epic Games' Mark Rein: Consoles Taking Gamers Away From PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Molgan

T-minus whenever
Feb 13, 2008
Sweden
www.apskaft.com
Wee 1st post, again! \o/

Me and a clanmate started playing Q3A lately to pass some time. Compared to UT3 the game feels fresh, the gameplay is solid and it takes me 6 seconds from thinking "hmm maybe I should play something" until I spawn in a map. That's how PC games should be.

And if the 9000 card works like the 7950Gx2 you don't need more then one slot for it, but you still get all the negatives from using sli. I got the Gx2 and I'm very unhappy with the POS.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
And if the 9000 card works like the 7950Gx2 you don't need more then one slot for it, but you still get all the negatives from using sli. I got the Gx2 and I'm very unhappy with the POS.

I'm very happy with mine, it's only the damn drivers that make it a living hell ! :(

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Considering Sony loses money on every console sold, I think they care about their game sales.

It only means that Sony cares that enough games are beeing made and sold to create a profit from licenses and sales, they do not have to care about the overall quality of the games, as long as they sell thats all that matters, be it by aggressive marketing and hype, or positive word of mouth, same difference, its all money in the bank.

KaL976

*nubcake*
Nov 28, 2003
Cardiff | UK
Visit site
I guess I raised some good points :p

yeah you did, also & this only struck me recently as i watched the latest episode of pure pwnage, with consoles you can have 3 buddies all playing on the same screen with you at once [halo3 xbox 360]
now i don't have any friends much less ones that would come round my house to game but i see that if you are a sociable type of person that would rock & that PC gaming by definition is a more solitary pursuit [leaving irc/ts out of it]

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com
yeah you did, also & this only struck me recently as i watched the latest episode of pure pwnage, with consoles you can have 3 buddies all playing on the same screen with you at once [halo3 xbox 360]
now i don't have any friends much less ones that would come round my house to game but i see that if you are a sociable type of person that would rock & that PC gaming by definition is a more solitary pursuit [leaving irc/ts out of it]

I still don't see why PC gaming shouldn't have split screen.
need for speed 2 (which was on my PC until my HDD change) had split screen and I was having a blast playing it with a friend, even though 2 on the same keyboard is tricky.
what we need is multiple mouse and keyboard input support for FPS, but I wouldn't mind playing with a gamepad splitscreen with my friends on my PC. with the size of screens nowadays, there is enough space for everyone ! (and it's even easier on a multiple-screen setup)

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
I still don't see why PC gaming shouldn't have split screen.
need for speed 2 (which was on my PC until my HDD change) had split screen and I was having a blast playing it with a friend, even though 2 on the same keyboard is tricky.
what we need is multiple mouse and keyboard input support for FPS, but I wouldn't mind playing with a gamepad splitscreen with my friends on my PC. with the size of screens nowadays, there is enough space for everyone ! (and it's even easier on a multiple-screen setup)

The reason is that companies would rather have you buy the console version, because it is much easier for them to develop and make money on that.

The PC can do anything the Console can, plus much much more, you can even play your PC infront of your huge HD:TV sitting in your sofa with your favorite USB input device in hand, its fully possible, and as you said, PC games used to have split-screen, hell i still play NFS-4 with mates because it has that, and i have both a G25 wheel and an old Momo aswell, there is no good reason why i could not do this with modern titles also.

But developing for the console is where the money is, and many companies would much rater you buy a console and their games for it, the only reason they make PC ports is that they can earn another easy buck doing that aswell.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
A lot of games today wouldn't work very well in split screen mode simply because they are so graphically demanding. I'd settle for just having co-op back on the majority of games.

Grobut

Комиссар Гробут
Oct 27, 2004
Soviet Denmark
Its a PC, graphics bringing you down? scale them down! hell, let the user config what graphics options to use if bSplitScreen = true :lol:

Besides that, the industry's cynical pursuit of better graphics has really done us no good, gameplay and volume of content has payed the ultimate price for it, and i for one dont care for the tradeoff, i'll be quite happy playing less than the absolute latest graphics if it means i get more content, and gameplay that is deeper than a spoon.

But i echo that we need coop back, bloody hell i miss coop, it used to be a standard feature if the game had any net support, now.. yeah, its just plain depressing.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
It was suprising to me that the SP portion of COD could only run well on the lowest resolution and lowest settings but the MP part can run smoothly with high settings.
Probably because MP is more frantic therefore required more framerate... if framerate dips in SP there's not really much to worry about.

As for PC splitscreen -- this is mostly due to people not wanting -- on the whole -- for average consumers -- to huddle around a PC to play a game.

That being said -- if people seriously market MediaCenter PCs now that HDTVs are on the rise... Consoles might need to fight a lil' harder.

Last edited: