Epic Games' Mark Rein: Consoles Taking Gamers Away From PC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
If you buy a console for a single game, then you are an idiot and deserve what you get.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Oh yeah Im not agreeing with this guy but it shows what is happening, some of us are sticking it out waiting on PC ports of some games. I have little sympathy for them for making such a move but I just wanted to show it is happening and that it would have happened for gears of war as well.

I think this is good in showing that PC gamers might be getting stolen but PC is stealing them right back again I guess!

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
It's the games that make the consoles sell, not the other way round.

I don't think Sony cares very much about the piracy, is what make the console sell. It's better to sell 500 consoles with fake games than selling like 10 consoles with 5 original games each.

In any case, when the Xbox first came out, I remember several game that were exclusive (like project gotham racing, that had loads of advertising) to it, to make it enter the market.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I can understand buying a console for several games. I'm just talking about people who buy for one or two games and never buy more.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
See I think thats it though brizz, once they have the console they are more likely to buy more games for that platform especially if there is other "exclusive" titles being released on it. Its not really a choice of the gamers to buy for their platform of choice and stick with it like it should be.

Ofcoarse games sell platforms and the longer a title remains exclusive to a platform it'll be more likely people will buy that platform to play it. I dont support this console exclusivity though so Im not going to buy a platform just to support it further where some people are and have been converted fully.

Its good to see PC getting more ports now though especially with UE3 titles, I could have seen that go really sour and bioshock, UT3, GOW, mass effect etc could have all been console only releases. We do get a fair amount of PC exclusive titles though so Im hoping that there will be more porting of PC exclusives to console with cutdown options etc to suit the platform instead of PC recieving alot of ports with the same cutdown options.

Then again its not always about consolization or whatever you want to call it, some things are just being dumbed down on a whole to support a different type of gamer. When making a title you really gotta look to see if thats the type of gamer you are making the game for and if they'll readily pick it up. See while I'll play games like bioshock I cant help but miss the likes of system shock 2 or duesex, thats not to say some of these dumbed down features dont work in some titles more than others.

Last edited:

Continuum

Lobotomistician
Jul 24, 2005
Boise
I can understand buying a console for several games. I'm just talking about people who buy for one or two games and never buy more.

Unless it is tekken... only console game Ive bought ever. Of course I only had to buy the ps2 to get to play 6 versions which is enough.

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
Well, consoles are becoming more like PCs, so the point is rather moot. When I was a kid, a Sega Genesis was what, $120? Now the PS3 is $600 (or was), and the 360 was $400, and that only includes one controller, no game, etc. so the "price of entry" is about the same as a budget gaming PC.

EdWinchester

Feb 1, 2008
If you buy a console for a single game, then you are an idiot and deserve what you get.

And if you bought ut3 for your linux box and epic 3 months later havent delivered what they promised .. what are you then ? or what is Epic then ?

Seriously the true colors of epic has been shown in the mark reins statement and in all the short comings of UT3... i loved to mod on previous versions and was started on ut3, but now I simply cant be bothered, stopped the project and uninstalled the game. Even the replies on the modlist shows actual state of the game.. and you can get the collectors edition for 17.99£ at play.com... guess the game is heading for cheap bin.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
How accurate are those numbers? I don't know how trustworthy NPD is as a source of information anymore. This also doesn't account for people buying multiple copies. We also don't know Epic/Midway's sales number for UT3. It could just as likely be up around the million mark for their purposes. It's like WoW subscriber numbers. I doubt they hve 10 million actively playing (and possibly paying) subscribers.

In regards to WoW, you're missing the point. WoW is a low system spec MMO. That is by and large what the majority of "PC gamers" are asking for today. I don't even consider these people real PC gamers anymore. They are stagnating in a system that could be run on the "WORLD OF WARCRAFT COMPUTER MACHINE THAT ONLY RUNS WORLD OF WARCRAFT AND NOTHING ELSE". That's why so many MMOs come out for PC, people are trying to cash in on that bound-to-fail business model and it rarely works out for them.

This same system applies for both version of CS. You can play them on 6 year old computers.

CoD4 shows us the pinnacle of "real" PC gaming. There aren't more than 100,000 people willing to play today's games, or even ready. And you'll be lucky if you can pidgeonhole 20,000 of them into one game. That's right I said it, Infinity Ward was lucky with CoD4.
so, because these people don't play games with the BEST graphics, and have the TOP systems, they're not real pc gamers?
NO. the people who are sticking by the pc, even if their pc isn't up to much, they're the true pc gamers. the ones that just want the flashy graphics are the ones that are drifting to consoles.
if more developers made games scale better, they'd get a much bigger audience, and pc gaming would be much more alive. Make it so you need a £300 graphics card just to get 30fps? everyone will go for the £300 console instead to get good graphics.
instead of snubbing games like CSS for being "yesterday's tech", the approach should be embraced, cause it's still pretty shiny looking for yesterday's tech, and i'm sure you could even build on top of that to scale it up more, while still keeping the low end satisfied. THAT'S where I think pc gaming should be going. Make it so that anyone with a PC can do the gaming. Support as many features as possible to make a game approachable with a pc, work on as many pcs, and with as many accessories as possible.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
so, because these people don't play games with the BEST graphics, and have the TOP systems, they're not real pc gamers?
NO. the people who are sticking by the pc, even if their pc isn't up to much, they're the true pc gamers. the ones that just want the flashy graphics are the ones that are drifting to consoles.
if more developers made games scale better, they'd get a much bigger audience, and pc gaming would be much more alive. Make it so you need a £300 graphics card just to get 30fps? everyone will go for the £300 console instead to get good graphics.
instead of snubbing games like CSS for being "yesterday's tech", the approach should be embraced, cause it's still pretty shiny looking for yesterday's tech, and i'm sure you could even build on top of that to scale it up more, while still keeping the low end satisfied. THAT'S where I think pc gaming should be going. Make it so that anyone with a PC can do the gaming. Support as many features as possible to make a game approachable with a pc, work on as many pcs, and with as many accessories as possible.
No. They aren't PC gamers because they don't typically play anything other than those games. They don't flow with the PC gaming river, they stick with games that the rest of us already played and got tired of several years ago.

CSS looks like utter tripe. I don't know what you're smoking. It's only slightly better looking than CS.

If every PC developer developed for the "majority of PC systems" we wouldn't have any games with flashy graphics on any systems and would still be gaming on Geforce 256 cards with 32mb of Vram. Personally, part of the draw of gaming for me is seeing how technology advances and how gameplay advances along with it. I can't stand games like WoW or CSS that look like year old fossilized turd compared to some of the more recent games (that DO run well on many systems).

CoD4 is proof that you can have a game that looks great and runs on a decent number of systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
Fun fact of the day, Infinity Ward and Valve both love their PC audience. TF2 is getting new maps and unlockable loadouts EXCLUSIVE to the PC version. Call of Duty 4, which ran flawlessly out of the box, is on its fifth patch, and IW is holding a mapping contest exclusively for PC mappers (as far as I know, these maps won't be on console either.)

I honestly like UT3 more than TF2 or COD4, but TF2 and COD4 are fantastic as well and worked much better out of the box than UT3 had.

Oh, and I may of mentioned it before but, CoD4 for the PC has more players than the console versions.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There are less than 15,000 people playing the top games on Xbox Live? That seems a little weird.

BooGiTyBoY

The ImPaCt-DaMpeNeD BooGeRaToR
We dont know if thats a good or bad thing yet Kanth :D.

Anyways I honestly can't be arsed to read 5 pages of posts so ignore my ignorance if these statements have been made before but these are my opinions. (Notice I said opinions there folks :D)

PC gaming hardware is getting so out of control it's MUCH easier to get into console gaming nowadays. PC game developers are literally pushing people into buying console systems as opposed to upgrading their systems to be able to play new games. I just got a new mobo without SLI thinking, hey... 1 card should be good enough for a few years. Now they are releasing the new nvidia 9000 series which is nothing but two cards slapped together like the 7950gx2 or whatever it was REQUIRING an SLI mobo to run. You know ATI will follow suit and that will soon be the norm like dual-core cpus have become. Games like Crysis still aren't being played at their max resolutions and to do so it's advertised you need one of the new TRI-SLI mobo setups.
Why the hell should I go out and buy 3 $250 video cards when I can buy 1 console system for hundreds less.
Also I should mention my opinion of that game in particular is complete crap. They should have spent more time on gameplay and hitboxes than realistic graphics. WOW THE GRASS WAVES, BUT I CANT HIT A GUY WHOS STANDING 2 FEET IN FRONT OF ME WITH A FULL SMG SPRAY!
Awesome.. just awesome.
There's also the advent of hardware manufacturers purposefully forcing gamers into higher end cards. I remember when you could buy a $150 card and "get by" on the latest games. The cards on the market today less than that (nvidia's 8500 and ati's 2600 and under) are complete ****. They hardly run games that are 4 years old well. Most of the older generation cards around the same price range kick the snot out of the newer gen "economy" cards, even though the new ones state "for max gaming" on the box and hold "new and improved" architecture. Give us a break. Not too mention the whole 8800gt fiasco where ati proved you could make a good performing card at a mid-range price. Nvidia followed right up with the release of the 8800gt. If they had that type of technology why didn't they release a card similar to that at a similar price FROM THE GET-GO! No... we'd rather you pay $600 for the same thing silly!

Also the games themselves just suck lately.

UT3 I played for no more than 2 months since I bought it. Gears of War, Bioshock, Crysis, Stranglehold, all games beaten within the first 2 days of ownership and for 3 out of the 4, they just didn't hold my interest long enough to want to play them again. As I was playing them the last few levels seemed like more of a chore than fun. Everyone is going for looks these days > gameplay and honestly eye-candy does nothing for me. I still play Q3 at least once a week.

It also used to be pc gamers had the "edge" due to downloadable and customizable game content, patch upgrades, online play, etc. All these have now been added to console games as well. Console games are also much easier to "jump into" than pc games. Think of how much tweaking and ini fixes and all that crap you had to do with UT3 when you installed it. Now think of how easy it is for someone to pop their disc into a ps3, turn it on, and play.
Which do you think a new gamer is going to go for...

Also keeping in tune to the thread here which is obviously console vs. pc when it comes to UT3. UT3 to me feels like it was a console game first and foremost. It definitely has a console feel to it, the menus, etc.
Then you have games like COD4 and TF2 which are also highly popular console games yet their pc counterparts actually FEEL like pc games. So we honestly have noone to blame but Epic here and yes... I'm finally hopping on the "keep the console **** outta my pc game" bandwagon. It just took me this long to realize it as I've been quite the UT fanboy over the years.

I think I'm aimlessly ranting by this point so I'm just gonna shut up now :)

Last edited:

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
The GX2 series DOES NOT require a SLI motherboard, that's just a common misconception.

My 7950gx2 worked with 3 different motherboards, only one of them was a SLI motherboard. ;)

DarQraven

Jan 20, 2008
so, because these people don't play... as many accessories as possible.

While you make a good point on the fact that engines need to scale better, etc, Brizz is right about this one. There's whole new breed of gamer out there: the WoW gamer.

This type of gamer plays ONLY WoW, and the only reason he's playing it on a PC is because it's a PC-only game. If it had been on gameboy color he would've bought that. Why these people are not real PC gamers is simple:
1) They don't give a **** about PC gaming beyond WoW.
2) They don't play any other PC games.
3) They didn't consciously choose the PC as their favorite gaming platform. In fact, it's their only gaming platform, and the only reason for that is WoW.

It's comparable to people that only play tetris or the sims.
You'd need a gameboy for tetris, and PC for the sims.
Would that make you a gameboy gamer then? Would playing the sims on PC make you a PC gamer? I don't think so.
At least not if you have the same definition of PC gamer that Brizz and I have.

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Yeah the new dual core graphics cards seem to require the bandwith from the PCIE2 slots. That means a new mobo for anyone which doesnt have one of these, sucks indeed.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
I don't think Sony cares very much about the piracy, is what make the console sell. It's better to sell 500 consoles with fake games than selling like 10 consoles with 5 original games each.

Considering Sony loses money on every console sold, I think they care about their game sales.

HudsonC

Jan 30, 2008
Heck I was looking forward to the cross-platform thing until I found out I couldn't play against them on PC. Consoles aren't killing UT3, Concentrating on consoles are what's biting Epic in the butt. Yes user Mods, maps and everything else can be created for PS3 and I'm sure Xbox when the game is released. But guess what you can't build a map on a PS3! not sure about Xbox yet, sorry no specs. So you buy your PS3 for $400.00 + US dollars and you have to wait on someone to build new content "On a PC!" .
Valve just came out with a blurb of " 15 Million Served" Multiply that by 50.00 and you are some talking real money. I think Epic knew the PC version was not ready by the release date, but I'm guessing that Epic thought PC users might be a bit upset if UT3 was released on PS3 before PC.
Give us PC users the Patch, Make the game playable in single-player and on servers without crashing and the community will take it and run with it and make UT3 one of the best games out there.
UT Community keep up the good work. I have over 60 + maps already 2 versions of the "Ripper" and Invasion already. If Epic doesn't respect you, they are fools. Myself you got all my love.