Winter

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rostam

PSN: Rostam_
May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
This must have been one of the most depressing winters in recent years. There must have been several factors (the awful weather definitely being one of them) but I don't totally understand how things could have gotten this bad.

Right now I know more people who are unhappy than happy. In fact, several of my friends have pretty much broken down. Heh, and this last part isn't doing me much good either.

I've spoken about this with a few Dutch friends around the country and there seems to be a consensus that this was an awful winter here. Even people who usually love the winter (I love it because it is so peaceful) hated the last few months.

The question though is, how are things around the world? I can only assume things are the same in Britain and Germany (and of course Scandinavian countries) - but how are things in Eastern Europe or North America?

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
If I ignore politics, there really wasn't anything extra depressing in the last few months I could point a finger at. Now that might have to do with how my mind and memory works, but yeah, nothing special here.

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Then I guess it's a Dutch thing.

And no Harrm: I don't have SAD - but thanks for, once again, showing how much of an idiot you are.

Carpetsmoker

Nexus-6
Jan 20, 2008
Netherlands
arp242.net
And it means the same thing in Dutch too ...

Anyway,
No problems in Eindhoven either ... :/
Also, the winter isn't over yet .... who knows, maybe we'll have an elfstedtocht this year ...

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
Then its probably more a lack of sleep thing (just about everyone I know is so busy right now that they aren't sleeping as much as they should).

Oh and Harrm, I'm not depressed. Not that it matters since it wouldn't make me a better or worse person. I just noticed a lot of people around me being down. But again, thanks for showing who (or more accurately: what) you are.

Lethal Dosage

Serial Rapis...uh, Thread Killer
Well i don't know about the Northern Hemisphere, but down here is Australia, our summer is just as crap. First off, for all my entire life summer has always been really hot (around the 35-45 degrees C), with some nasty storms and the such peaking around or just after Christmas, but this year it's been cool and just really wet.

My half of the country has been in a nasty drought the last 3-4 years with almost no rain and our damns down 15-20%, but now this summer it's almost never stopped raining but we've had only a few bad storms. Most of the eastern states are flooded, and many of our smaller dams are overflowing, yet our largest and main dams have been almost completely missed, meaning that the sever water restrictions (140L per person per day) remain in place while drought stricken properties are underwater and what properties have managed good crops are all lost not to mention the dozens of twons and cities that are underwater.

Iceman

Who Dares Wins
Oct 6, 1999
Australia
Visit site
haha yeah queensland got raped this year :lol: .

My neck of the woods has been good, too damn hot if anything. apart from the last two days we haven't had rain at all that i can recall.

Hey rostam, is it true holland is a crappy place to live? I was talking to an old guy a week or so back (he'd be in his 70's i guess) who's parents moved to New Zealand when he was a kid, he went back there a few years ago to see his family and said he's never ever going back even though nearly all of his family lives there, the people "are a bunch of arrogant, greed driven bastards with no morals".

Rostam

May 1, 2001
Leiden, Holland
I'd say most people here are pretty greedy. Arrogant and no morals I don't agree with, it's not any worse than other countries.

I've been to quite a lot of countries, and in most places the random people you meet on the streets were nicer. That and the weather are the bad things in Holland, I'd say. Most other things are pretty decent. So no, Holland is not a crappy place to live (depending on what you want in life). In fact, I'd put Holland in the top 5 countries to live in.

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
I love winter. Its wonderful.

I really love how I need to suit up in my over 1000 bucks space suit every morning to walk to the job, exposing only one square inch of skin to the outside world... one square inch which will probably show sign of frost burns for the rest of my life.

I really love how, when my square inch isn't freezing, my suit is so warm that I have to lose parts of it until the point where my two square meter of skin is freezing all together.

I really love how the winter whiteness completely hides the outside world with its meter high piles in front of the windows.

I really love how in our carnival, instead of having almost-naked chicks shaking their ass off over samba, we have a snowball man (Le Bonhomme Carnaval) dancing like a clown.

I really love how to go buy a six-pack at the corner grocery store, I have to choose between the car, snow shows, a snow mobile or a dog sled (no, not really). In the end, I choose the car as it's the only solution not exposing my square inch of skin.

I really love how choosing the car will inevitably get me stuck in the snow and how it will take over an hour to get it unstuck.

I really love how the beer, after being in the car while trying to get it unstuck, is frozen solid.

But yes, winter is fun... except for the beer part. Trick is not to look only at the bad things of it. And hope the snow is high enough to block the outside view completely and the storm strong enough to kill cable, internet and stop the news paper runs.

--

On a more serious sidenote, seasonal depression is a real problem. Here, it usually manifests itself around November in most of the population. Many think its linked to the lack of sunlight. If you have a very long period of cloudy weather blocking sunlight, similar effects can happen.

Here, during winter, we have so many things to keep us occupied... like the many hours it takes after every storm to find the car under the snow, manage to move it and hope the battery still works at -25°C... hardly anyone gets depressed during that period... only very frustrated.

Last edited:

Iceman

Who Dares Wins
Oct 6, 1999
Australia
Visit site
I'd say most people here are pretty greedy. Arrogant and no morals I don't agree with, it's not any worse than other countries.

I've been to quite a lot of countries, and in most places the random people you meet on the streets were nicer. That and the weather are the bad things in Holland, I'd say. Most other things are pretty decent. So no, Holland is not a crappy place to live (depending on what you want in life). In fact, I'd put Holland in the top 5 countries to live in.

Cool, i was just wondering ;) .

ecale3

Sniper - May be harmful to your health.
Jul 13, 2001
Maryland Bitch.
www.ecale25.netfirms.com
I'm pissed because it's february and i still haven't gotten a snowstorm. This is the warmest winter i can ever remember here in MD (it was 70 the other day!). It sucks, all i want is a nice blizzard. Everyone else is getting snow. Freaking Saudi Arabia got snow! Do i get my snow? Nope. I was really looking to a real nasty winter (at least to normal people) to lift my spirits after an Awful 2007.