Keyboard not registering more than 2-3 keypresses in ut2k4

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Da RicK

Stubid newpie
Apr 26, 2001
Next to Santa
Just installed ut2k4 for the first time on this rig and im having problems. It won't register more than 2-3 keypresses at a time. So (for example) if i'm walking both forward and strafing, it won't let me jump or change weapons at the same time.

Windows xp with a basic logitech keyboard

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Man i hate when stuff like that happen, have you tried changing the language of the keyboard?

daloonie

sex boobs nude
Feb 7, 2004
Denmark
www.daloonie.com
I had that same problem with Battlefield 1942 on my old rig. I won a new keyboard from Logitech. I suggest you do the same, win a keyboard hehe :)

Well it helped to get a new keyboard, only thing I can come up with. Sorry.
Has this ever happened to you with that keyboard before?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Many keyboards have this problem. My $10 Logitech won't let me push Shift, W, and D at the same time. I have an Apple Pro Keyboard and a Nostromo n52 that don't have the problem, though.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
The G15 does it as well if you're using the arrow keys for gaming, which is ridiculous since it's a freaking gaming keyboard.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise the arrow keys weren't cool anymore. How lucky I am that my G15 keyboard has shown me the light and forced me to switch to WASD.

Seriously though, what's your point? I bet there's still a ton of people still using the arrow keys, and even if WASD is far and away the most popular control layout, it's hardly a valid excuse for rendering the arrow keys pretty much useless for gaming.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
This often happens if you are using a PS/2 keyboard and the Windows default drivers. Make sure you have the latest drivers from Logitech.

I'll overlook rex's statement about racing games. If you can drive without an analog controller, it's not a real racing game :p.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Majik- said:
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise the arrow keys weren't cool anymore. How lucky I am that my G15 keyboard has shown me the light and forced me to switch to WASD.

Seriously though, what's your point? I bet there's still a ton of people still using the arrow keys, and even if WASD is far and away the most popular control layout, it's hardly a valid excuse for rendering the arrow keys pretty much useless for gaming.
I was just messing dude :p

Anyways, it's the way keyboards are wired that this problem exists, and I doubt that you will ever in your life find a keyboard that doesn't have some combination of three keys that don't work together at all.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah the last thing you need to do on this forum is taking something seriously.
I used to use the arow keys before, now i don't use them anymore since i discovered that WASD gives me a better confort, and more control.

I think i'd be using the arow key for playing a racing game. Or moving things in photoshop.

Majik

blargh
Jun 24, 2004
Denmark
Sir_Brizz said:
I was just messing dude :p

Anyways, it's the way keyboards are wired that this problem exists, and I doubt that you will ever in your life find a keyboard that doesn't have some combination of three keys that don't work together at all.

I see, no harm done.

Yeah, I realise that's what's causing it, but it's a really, really "unfortunate" combination of keys. The fact that most oem keyboards (or at least each and every one I've owned) handle the arrow keys fine just makes me question whether Logitech playtested this keyboard properly before mass-producing it.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I'm guessing that in order to make other keys like WASD (which, frankly, most gamers use) work properly, they wired it so that the arrow keys didn't work instead :)

Da RicK

Stubid newpie
Apr 26, 2001
Next to Santa
Crowze said:
This often happens if you are using a PS/2 keyboard and the Windows default drivers. Make sure you have the latest drivers from Logitech.

I'll overlook rex's statement about racing games. If you can drive without an analog controller, it's not a real racing game :p.
I'm gonna check that monday. I hope you're right