UT3 with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Justing

Mapper|CorelDraw9Artist|B etaTester
Hi everyone,
I have to decide which laptop im going to buy because my dad wants to go to the mall with me o_o.
Well, I recently found an Acer Aspire 8920g, which is 18.4 INCH!!!
The thing is, There are 2 versions.
One is 1400 euros, other one is 1000 euros.
My dad said that I have to choose one for 1000 euros MAX.
Heres my questions:
The 18.4 inch for 1000 has a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 in it.
And the 1400 has a Geforce 9500M.

Will a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 be able to handle UT3?

I could also get the Acer aspire 6920g which has the same specs with a Geforce 9500m,
for 1000 dollars, but that will be 1.4 inch smaller.

I like it big, but if it would not handle UT3 I have to go with the 17inch.

So, I hope anyone can answer my question.
Thankyou in advance.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
Drop all of the above.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

And forget ATI, you'll get awful driver and technical support. I know it's cheaper than NVidia, but don't let that be the reason why you're getting ATI. You want to think long-term investment. An NVidia is the way to go.

Besides, NVIDIA GeForce 8/9 cards will support PhysX without having to buy a separate PPU for it.

EDIT: And CyberPowerPC is cheaper than any other custom laptop websites that I know of.

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
Drop all of the above.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com

And forget ATI, you'll get awful driver and technical support. I know it's cheaper than NVidia, but don't let that be the reason why you're getting ATI. You want to think long-term investment. An NVidia is the way to go.

Besides, NVIDIA GeForce 8/9 cards will support PhysX without having to buy a separate PPU for it.

EDIT: And CyberPowerPC is cheaper than any other custom laptop websites that I know of.

Watch out though, if you spend more than $1000 there, quality and service tends to drop SHARPLY and you'll be taking a risk.

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
You can't just look at the capacity of things.

3 gigabytes of RAM. Great. What brand? What speed? DDR1? DDR2? 400mhz? 800mhz? 667 mhz? PC3200? Dual channel?

CyberPowerPC doesn't "trick" you with bogus specifications. If you want 3 gigabytes of RAM, they will give you many different options.

Put it this way:

3 gigs of RAM that is DDR2 533 mhz is complete crap compared to my RAM at DDR2 800mhz dual channel.

==========

250 gb hard drive. Ok. What brand? They don't tell you. For all you know, you could be buying a cheap Made-in-China generic hard drive that could give you a lot of write /read errors in the future.

Do they tell you the speed of the hard drive? Sure, it's SATA. But is it SATA I or SATA II? Is it 5400 rpm (old) or 7200 rpm (modern)?

========
HD sound. Ok, what standard is it? AC97 ALC655? AC97 rev 2.3 ? SoundMax Digital Audio? Integrated or a PCI card?

========

This is why CyberPowerPC is good for users who are transitioning from the basic "novice" buying computer sites (like the site you linked me to) to more informed-decision based purchases in computers and laptops.

EDIT: You might be spending less money than I did, but I assure you, my RAM (only 2 gigabytes but is DDR2 800mhz dual channel) on Windows XP Sp2 outperforms yours. I can guarentee it (if you choose the laptop in the link you linked me to). My hard drive would outperform yours as well (I bought it OVER A YEAR AGO and it's a 250 GB Western Digital SATA II 3.0 gb/sec, data protection software included)

I could go on and on, but I think I've made my point already.

Last edited:

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
there's not much difference between the 9500 and the 3650, the 9500 is slightly better so go for the bigger screen with 3650. HOWEVER if the native resolution is bigger too i would reconsider because the difference in performance will be significantly bigger if you're playing at 1680x1050 with a 3650, as opposed to at 1440x900 with a 9500m

dunno how clear that was, just ask if you need me to clarify

ignore neilthecellist's advice by the way, it's completely unnecessary

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
What the hell are you talking about? Those things I mentioned in my previous post DO matter. You can't expect RAM at DDR1 400mhz to perform the same as RAM in DDR2 at 800mhz, even if you have more DDR1 RAM.

And 5400rpm hard drives are slow, they're used in "typical" laptops but for gaming laptops you really do need a 7200rpm. Don't come begging for forgiveness when your games hitch like crazy or when maps take forever to load.

And what about PhysX? Are you going to address that, or are you going to stick to an uneducated "ignore neilthecellist's advice" statement? Pfft.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
What the hell are you talking about? Those things I mentioned in my previous post DO matter. You can't expect RAM at DDR1 400mhz to perform the same as RAM in DDR2 at 800mhz, even if you have more DDR1 RAM.

And 5400rpm hard drives are slow, they're used in "typical" laptops but for gaming laptops you really do need a 7200rpm. Don't come begging for forgiveness when your games hitch like crazy or when maps take forever to load.
obviously ddr1 and 5400rpm are poor but they're practically obsolete, none of the laptops the OP mentioned will ship with this technology

if justing needs advice on whether a 9500 or 3650 is going to perform better in UT3, he clearly isn't going to appreciate the minor performance difference between dual channel pc6400 and single channel pc5300 (no offense justing)

if you somehow managed to concisely educate justing, in laymans terms, on the benefits of these technicalities then fair enough, he'd end up with a better machine. but all you're doing is spewing technical term after technical term at him which isn't going to be of any help other than to confuse the poor guy

the likelihood is that justing isn't going to need NVIDIA's superior tech support or deal with an overload of read/write failures on his generic hard drive, and that either of the three laptops he mentioned will be perfectly fine for his purposes

neilthecellist

Renegade.
May 24, 2004
San Diego, California
www. .
*sigh* Ok, it's been almost a full day for me at school today and my brain is about fried, so I'm not in the mood to make laymen's analogies to make anything easier to understand. If someone else wants to do this, awesome, :tup: +10 to you, but I have class in half an hour. I'll probably write a laymen's post tomorrow on this.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
*sigh* Ok, it's been almost a full day for me at school today and my brain is about fried, so I'm not in the mood to make laymen's analogies to make anything easier to understand. If someone else wants to do this, awesome, :tup: +10 to you, but I have class in half an hour. I'll probably write a laymen's post tomorrow on this.

Holy crap, please don't take this guy too seriously OP, he's in a pissy mood and he also doesn't know that much. Neil, look at various RAM speed comparisons for Core 2 procs, and you'll discover that the difference in performance between ram speeds is quite minimal. It's just the way the processor works; I don't know why. Same with dual channel; I think it used to make more of a difference than it does now with the new architectures. Nowadays, 3 gigs of non-dual-channel RAM will clearly beat 2 gigs of dual-channel stuff. Don't decide to spend like $200 more bucks for a laptop with slightly faster/dual channel RAM, cuz it won't be worth it. :\

Helgso

Helgso
Dec 5, 2005
Iceland
www.tv.is
I would never recommend to anybody to buy and use a laptop for gaming. Thing is that they are not as good gaming devices as the PC's due to the hardware is smaller in the laptops so they won't perform as well and the hardware is very close to each other meaning the laptop will easily heat up.

PC's have more storage room leading to better cooling and IMO lasts longer.

I've heard that if you push your computer to its limits for a long time, (etc. heats up and the fan goes crazy), doesn't have to be because of the games, it lasts far shorter than if you would let it relax by running light applications such as the internet browser, Word, Excel and standard applications.

------

Well, I recently found an Acer Aspire 8920g.

BTW, it's not G's, it's lb's!

Weight: 9 lb = 4.082KG

Last edited: