Theater Mode

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
I've looked into this and it seems that a Theater mode for UT3 would be flat out impossible.

That's fine. But how about this game though? The graphics are so easy to run now that I'm sure someone could implement at least a crude theater mode. All you have to do is record what map the game was played on, the gametype, what mutators and mutator settings, the player movements, player actions, item spawns and that's it I think.

After its recorded all that, just have it load up and play a game according to all those directions. You would be using the spectator mode and wouldn't be able to join the actual game of course. You could also use the "playersonly" cheat and bind that to a pause button. Also the screenshot command and bind that to a button as well.

Unfortunately I can't think of how to rewind the game or fast forward it. A clip would be easy though. Just have it snip a certain section of instructions out of the game and make that into a new instruction file recording the players beginning last known positions on the map.

Last edited:

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Basically Halo's Theater mode. It would record a match and you could see the battle unfold at any camera position and angle. I'm wondering if this can be implemented into UT as well.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
That's what I was thinking, as well. I found THIS regarding demo recording/playback and it basically sounds like what you are trying to do, Arnox?
Actually, yes. I can't believe it was right in front of me this entire time. Hm, but how do I record a serverside demo?

and on the server side, recording a demo of every event in the game - allowing the playback to be from any position or point of view on the map.
That seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. How would I do that? Can't I do it while I'm playing the game or do I have to be a spectator?

EDIT: Did some testing and it seems that one can only record a clientside demo in a practice session even if you are logged in as admin. But if you start up any ol' internet game and log in as admin, the game will record a serverside demo for you when you type in demorec.

I guess my only question now is, how can I get it to automatically log me in as admin and record a demo on startup of an internet game?

Last edited: