UE3 - UT3 Static meshes don't show shadows

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

thescala

May 18, 2009
hey guys hope you can help me with this. i made a map completely custom with my own meshes. when i import them into unreal, there is no shadows from the meshes when a light is shining on it. in fact, there isnt even a shadow being cast on the unreal meshes, the only time a shadow is being cast is when there is a BSP brush in the scene, what am i doing wrong.

SPOTLIGHT
SPOTLIGHT.jpg

POINTLIGHT
POINTLIGHT.jpg

plugh

Nov 11, 2005
Make sure you have Cast Shadows set to true in the mesh properties, then try increasing the Lightmap Resolution in the Surface Properties of the BSP which is accepting the shadow (lowering the number increases the resolution on BSP).

If you're projecting onto Static Meshes, here's a nice tutorial from Hourences explaining more about how lightmaps work : http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3lightmap.htm

Last edited:

thescala

May 18, 2009
Well i followed his directions exactly and im still having problems with the shadows. They still only show up before i build the level and after i build they dissapear. This @#$%^&* sucks.

Bi()ha2arD

Toxic!
Jun 29, 2009
Germany
phobos.qml.net
if they disappear after build you have to turn up the lightmap resolution on the floor (meaning a smaller number)
and as you are using dynamic lights: maybe you disabled them ingame?