Starting Unreal Gold in XP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

cryinbrian

Oct 31, 2008
I searched the forum for an answer but couldn't seem to find it.

My PC has trouble running Unreal Gold after installing SP3 for XP. So, I uninstalled SP3 and UG, reinstalled UG, installed patch (which it shouldn't need)...only runs in safe mode.

I have GeForce2 GTS/Pro on this old machine, and UG ran fine on it. Everything is clean, nothing bad in system. I shut off the scanners and such, before reinstalling, no luck. I have chosen D3D, and then Soft render...the splash screen shows and then it just sits there.

I know there was something I had to do to fix this, but can't remember. I tried searching for the answer, but nothing came back.

Any help? I know there's a way.

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
On my XP SP3, I launch Unreal Gold, and the menu doesn't appear (the background cinematic works). I have to force the game shutdown (task manager or whatever), then I launch it again and the menu appears (and everything works perfectly). I'm running it in open-gl too.

Does that help?

cryinbrian

Oct 31, 2008
I tried that. It will only open in safe mode. How do I start it in opengl? My card supports it. I just want to get the thing working like it did.

Thanks for your reply.

B

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
You have to edit the unreal.ini file in the Unreal/System folder. Under "[Engine.Engine]" add "OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice" after "GameRenderDevice". Replace what was there before (probably direct3d or something).

Then you can scroll down the ini to edit the open-gl settings. You can also do that in game (more user friendly), by going in "options", then "advanced options" : a new window will open, allowing you to cutomize a lot of settings (not just graphics).