So I tried TF2...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
If it takes two players (or more) to beat one, it's not balanced. I shouldn't just say "unbeatable," because you can almost always use more manpower to beat something. But obviously then your team is at a disadvantage. I should say "unbeatable with the same number of players on each side."

Each class has their charactistics and expertise, but at the same time each class should also have a fighting chance in less than ideal situations. Without this balance, players are forced to play a certain class based on the map, their team's current roster, and the current status of the match. All of a sudden the number of classes you should choose from may practically become one.

"I don't care if you're better as a Ranger, we need a Gunner!" rarely happens in XMP, if at all. You can usually get away with playing your favourite class without causing too much of a problem in your team, especially if you're really good. I wish I could say that for TF2.

Medic! :lol:

Mar 6, 2004
I've tried TF2 for 2 days, i just can't stand it. I figured out what my problem was and changed class thanks to Aksen, now i'm in the middle of the scoreboard. The games boring as hell...not my style. Only thing it is similar to XMP is gameplay, but it's no XMP.

JaGo

nbk-JaGo
Feb 24, 2004
What about VCTF? Epic added something interesting in CTF too :p No vehicles in TF2, right?

Vehicles were the absolute worst thing that ever happened to the UT series.

Oh and far as spy goes...

[SCREENSHOT]http://www.simiril.com/public/tf2/cp_dustbowl0025.JPG[/SCREENSHOT]

The spy is arguably one of the most powerful classes in the game.

The game simply has something for everyone. If you want to DM, there's plenty of ways to kill entire squads of players. If you like strategy, hey it has that too. Just team up with a buddy and break the defenses of those 3 engineers with sentries.

Skatcher

Aug 4, 2004
nice screenie there JaGo, i'll have to stop picking at your spy skills :p

as for "unbeatable" classes, if you re trying to enter a demo stickied door for example, you can try to make the demoman blow the stickies by just peeking and coming straight back, either keep trying that until he falls for it or wait a bit then jump right at his face with rockets or flames( too quick for him to blow the stickies up unless he's concentrating fully on them)... last case scenario is shoot the stickies away.

either way though, if a demo is camping a door and therefore keeping 1 player out of it, thats essentially making 1 enemy demo useless, if hes being useless to keep out a pyro, dont worry, your team is getting the better end of that deal.

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
JaGo, no way :p Vehicles are the things that mainly keep me in UT2004. And turrets are vehicles too, just non-moveable.
What kind of graphics is that? :D U2XMP graphics are a lot more realistic. Actually, even Unreal's graphics are more realistic. That guy with bullets at the right surely looks like a Brute.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
JaGo, no way :p Vehicles are the things that mainly keep me in UT2004. And turrets are vehicles too, just non-moveable.
What kind of graphics is that? :D U2XMP graphics are a lot more realistic. Actually, even Unreal's graphics are more realistic. That guy with bullets at the right surely looks like a Brute.

No it looks like doom2's chaingunner. :p

takwu

cXp coder Tak®
Feb 5, 2004
www.mif.vu.lt
I actually think the Spy is the most powerful class in TF2, because for obvious reasons you can kill people regardless of their shooter skills. But it also is the least FPS-like mechanism in the game. And you are not competing with anyone; you are simply looking for someone that is playing a different game, and screw it up for them. Sounds familiar? Remember what I said earlier: the Spy is like TK. In so many levels.

(edit: almost forgot Skatcher)
Yes if the Demo is camping for one guy, it's fair game, unless of course the Demo's team is defending, in which case it's better for him to stall even just one enemy. But in some maps, a demo can slowdown the only passage, or one of only two passages, against a lot of enemies. Similarly an Eng can defend an area with a single sentry (or more if his team makes more for him) which takes a lot more than one person to defeat (unless, of course, you use a Spy).

I don't know how Vehicles are in UT, but they definitely are awesome in XMP, especially for the Gunners ;)

TF2 graphics are designed to be cartoonie, and personally I think that's a good thing too. It's better than "realistic" designs. However I do prefer cool outfits (or futuristic) over those old military uniforms. Just ask any kid (or hell, anyone, young or old) about Buzz Lightyear VS Woody. I really wouldn't mind if the next FPS uses cartoon graphics like TF2, but with cooler designs like Buzz or all that stuff in The Incredibles.

the-incredibles-20040625025222881.jpg

Last edited: