SecuROM & The Witcher 2: I can has CPU cycles?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
Some people noticed that they get much better performance in The Witcher 2 if they replace their retail or D2D version's executable and one DLL with the respective GOG version which has no DRM (the Steam version is not affected either). Seems like SecuROM eats so much of the CPU time that PCs with 2 cores can get like a 30% FPS boost.

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/game_runs_much_better_without_drm/page1
http://forum.notebookreview.com/gam...0627-witcher-2-performance-issues-solved.html

I'd like to know if cracked executables that have SecuROM removed generally have the same effect of if they usually remove just enough to get the game running without really removing the CPU intensive stuff. I mean, I can see the slogan already:
"Piracy" - the eco-friendly choice.
:lol:

Hadmar

Queen Bitch of the Universe
Jan 29, 2001
Nerdpole
The Steam version uses Steam, the D2D and retail versions use SecuROM. The GOG.com version has no DRM. (Unless you count "register for content & patches" as a sort of backdoor or fine-print DRM. (I do)).

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Don't go the way Pubiesoft did. All DRM does is frustrate the user and coerce them into acquiring an illegal copy of the game. Might as well let the product speak for itself. If anything that companies should be doing, is putting less money into this DRM **** and put more into development. I know of several people whose purchase decisions are based upon if they liked the 'free' version of the game or not. If they liked it, they bought it, stating that: "the devs earned my money". This DRM **** does nothing but put off the customer.

_Lynx

Strategic Military Services
Staff member
Dec 5, 2003
Moscow, Russia
beyondunreal.com
Some people noticed that they get much better performance in The Witcher 2 if they replace their retail or D2D version's executable and one DLL with the respective GOG version which has no DRM (the Steam version is not affected either). Seems like SecuROM eats so much of the CPU time that PCs with 2 cores can get like a 30% FPS boost.
Hah, 30% boost? In Russia local publisher protected it with Starforce. So now not only local customers have to deal with ****ty protection, but also with game crashing here and there. Last time I heard you can't play dice, cause that'll crash the game for sure.

Ridiculous. If you want a better DRM solution, your first best option is to ditch GFWL.
Now that's a way to turn GfWL into U-Play.

Last edited: