RoninMastaFX's Computer Upgrade Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RoninMastaFX

Unreal/UT Vet from Day 1
Well, I am starting to save up to build a computer specifically designed for games. :)

I need help though. :(

Currently, I am thinking of either an Intel Core 2 Duo or an Intel Core 2 Quad, or (what I defantly think), switch to an AMD Althon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition. :D

If I get the AMD Black Edition...I will get the processor from this website: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=3969587&sku=AMD-5000-2GB

Here's the specs in which I'm thinking about (P.S. idc about how much it'll cost me, I'm just *completely* sick and tried of being limited to newer games playing slow 24/7, and I want to play Crysis & UT3 on best quality XD):

- AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition
- Creative X-Fi Gamers Edition Sound Card (Digital with Reciever)
- 4 GB DDR 2 Ram (possibly DDR 3 if the mobo will be compatible :p)
- I'm still deciding on NVIDIA or ATI...I myself am an NVIDIA fan, but ATI's can be overclocked.....hmmm...I'll think about this one carefully XD
- Cooling System ( :biggrin2: )
- TV Tuner Card ( \o/ )
- 1 (possibly 2) Sony SDM-HS75 Mintors (they pwn imho \o/ )
- Super Deluxe Memory Card Reader Drive
- R/RW Combo Blue Ray Drive \o/
- CD/DVD AIO Combo Drive. :D
- 7.1 speakers (digital)
- A new Computer Desk (this one is old ~2001 and starting to rot XD)
- New Sound Synthisers for helping em make sounds and/or msuic for UT3 \o/
- two 1 TB SATA hard drives (and no, I don't do pr0n, not that type of guy. XD I have a helluve lto fo games, and download alot of stuff - not pr0n - so yeah XD XD ). One for games and the other for everythign else. :D And they will not be the IBM/Hitachi DeskStar (aka "DeathStar") HD's (if you know what I mean. ;) )
- Motherboard I am not too sure...but 90% an asus mobo (<3 Asus. :D )
- Also, the case for the computer will be done from scratch. ;) I have a knack for creative customizations on hardware (and that made me accidentally fubar my old PS2 XD)

I am open to any suggestions and comments. :)

And like I said, idc if this costs $10 000 CAD....idc...I just want a ****ing powerful PC. :) Living with Celerons and an old Pentium 1 90 Mhz w/ MMX & 2 w/ MMX (in the past) and Pentium D's does not make my life better (although my old Pentium Pro w/ MMX & Pentium 3 1 gig was alright. :) ).

Many thanks,

«:MX:»RoninMastaFX

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Since you're looking at Canadian sites, note that I'm going to be speaking in US dollars.

Avoid AMD. Their processors simply cannot compete with Intel in the Price ratio.

A $250 Intel CPU will be just as competitive with a $500 AMD offering.

nVidia cards will have onboard PhysX soon, recall. Some models already have it.

RW Blu-Ray? You realize those are a couple hundred dollars, right? Not to mention discs are like 10 bucks apiece?

The DeathStar fiasco has died down. But you're ripping yourself off a bit with 1 TB drives currently... you can get a 750 GB drive for $120, or a 1 TB drive for $200. Long story short... 3x 750 GB (2.25 TB) = $360, 2x 1 TB = $400.

I could probably build you something nearly as good for thousands less. :p

Better yet, with the money you save, buy me a Cobalt Black DS Lite, with a M3 Real DS and a 4 GB SDHC card. It's my birthday in a month, so now's the time to guilt random people into getting me stuff. :p

Last edited:

Derdak2rot

DVD2r
Jan 8, 2005
France
Intel core 2 quad Q9450 ( 2.66ghz )
Gigabyte P45-DQ6 or DS5 / asus P5Q pro :)
OCZ vendetta 2 ( cooler )
2x2gig DDR2 ram PC6400 ( gskill ? )
ATI radeon HD4870 512mo
western digital caviar 640go 32mo ( x2 ? ) ( reviews said it is the faster HDD actually )
for the rest , i cant be much of help :p

Last edited:

J112

Very Superstitious
Dec 16, 2005
By rig cost around $4000 (US), maxes Crysis at 1920x1280 and i'm guessing will be good for games for the next few years or so.

So basically, I wouldn't go too over the top with what you buy. In two months, chances are that new hardware will make your system outdated, by however little. Future proofing is a lie, as is dx10 in part xD

Love my q9450 and reccomend it. Asus rock everyone knows it. Id suggest that you go with NVIDA myself but thats because i prefer them. I don't see any reall point in you going for DDR3 ram, you can get DDR2 cheaper with a higher clock.

Make sure you make that case big and airy if you're planning on using air cooling. Although i'm not really in any position to comment on cooling, i've resorted to a desk fan and no case walls heh.

Good luck and enjoy it :tup:

Oh and dark, i'll buy you that ds if ya like. Yeah, Its my birthday in two weeks, how about a Mustang? =P

Last edited:

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
Hey Ronin, are you still looking for an upgrade? Here's the absolute best I can recommend (price/performance ratio):

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - Overclock FSB to 333MHz for clock speed of about 3GHz + Optimal memory bandwidth
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L - I wouldn't spend money on SLI or CF
Memory: 3GB (2x1GB+2x512MB) DDR2 800 - If you have a LOT of money, go for 8GB DDR2 667 or higher, then turn off Windows Swap File--it's the biggest performance boost you'll get
Power Supply: Any good Corsair PSU at least 550W
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4870 - If the 4870X2 doesn't have bad microstutter, you might want to shoot for that
Hard Drive: The biggest SATAII (3.0GB/s) hard drive you need - RAID 0 isn't worth it, and neither are SSD's
CPU Cooling: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Best air cooling around

Everything else would be up to you. If you were serious about the no-money-limit thing, then you should wait for Nehalem + 8GB DDR3 Memory (no swap file) + Good CF Mobo + 2x4870X2 Quad-CF + 4x128GB Solid-state hard drives (RAID 0+1) + sub-zero cooling.