UE2 - UT2kX Problems placing ammo pickups

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

illogictree

Mar 7, 2010
I've been looking all over the Internet for a solution to this problem, but I haven't found anything on it. If this problem's already been covered, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

I've been following along with 3DBuzz.com's level creation VTM in order to get familiar with the UnrealEd 3.0 tools. However, I've run into a bit of a snag: when I try to place some of the ammo pickups into the level via the 'Place Actor' option in the right-click menu, nothing happens.

It's not that the ammo pickups are being placed in an unexpected location; when I try searching for them in the Find Actor dialogue, they aren't there.

The pickups that can't be placed are all from the xWeapons.u file, but curiously enough two out of those can be placed - namely the shock rifle ammo and the lightning gun ammo. Otherwise, I can place the Onslaught-specific weapon ammo and the classic sniper rifle ammo with no problems.

I've got a kind of hack-y workaround; I'm experimenting with placing shield chargers and switching the item spawned to an appropriate ammo pickup, then changing the display type to DT_None and the spawn height to 0. Of course, this will make it difficult to just pick up and move the pickups in the editor, but it'll be better than nothing.

If anyone has any ideas as to what might be going on and how to fix it, I'd appreciate some input.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Please don't shorten Unreal Editor to "UE" - that's the abbreviation for Unreal Engine already, and as we know, UE1 uses UEd1/2, while UE2 used UEd3 and UE3's UEd doesn't have an number anymore. (Though many like to call it UEd4 for some reason - which is in no way related to UE4.)

If placing ammo pickups doesn't seem to have any effect, first check the log. It usually tells you why placing has failed. A common problem is a large grid size. Reduce it to 8 to make sure small pickups aren'T moved into level geometry.

Last edited:

illogictree

Mar 7, 2010
I tried the suggestion to place the ammo pickups on the wall, and it worked. Not only that, but suddenly I was able to place the pickups by right-clicking in the places I wanted to add them as per usual. Now, I'm not sure if that was what fixed the problem or if I just got lucky this time, since the wall placement was basically the first thing I did, but at least I was able to overcome the problem.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.