Play Unreal Anthology without DVD?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Forrest

Aug 31, 2008
I'm thinking about buying Unreal Anthology to play on my new Acer Aspire One laptop. The Aspire One doesn't have an optical drive, but I have an external DVD drive to install the game. Obviously I don't want to lug the DVD drive around - so can someone confirm the DVD isn't needed to PLAY the games. Thanks

IronMonkey

Moi?
Apr 23, 2005
Scotland
www.margrave.myzen.co.uk
UT & UT2004 (those are the only UA components that I have installed on this system) work just fine without the CD in the drive. iirc, there was some discussion about U2 having a 3rd-party no-cd crack applied for the UA release so I assume that it is OK. Don't know about Unreal but I would be suprised if it were any different from the other games.

That said, what I don't know is if the installation will work well with a USB drive. You might be at some risk there. :(

I'm quite keen on getting an Aspire One also (actually, what I really, really want is HP's successor to the HP2133* but that isn't out yet) and as far as I can see, the current generation of 1.6GHz Atom-based systems are probably only up to running Unreal & Unreal Tournament satisfactorily (assuming that the very old games don't complain about wide screen modes).

Whilst the Aspire One might actually be able to run UT2004, it will either have to be in software rendering mode or with every conceivable texture and static mesh detail disabled. In any event, poor frame rates and looking rubbish.

*Yes, I know how poor the Chrome GPU is. :(

Forrest

Aug 31, 2008
OK, thanks for the update. UT and UT2004 are my favorites - so it's good to hear those play fine without the installation DVD. I played the UT2004 demo for about 30 minutes yesterday - it plays great with Direct3D acceleration at 800 x 600, low/medium texture settings. Since the screen resolution is 1024 x 600 - this works out well. I didn't run any benchmarks, but I'd guess average fps was in the 40's in light action and in the 20's under heavy action.