Motherboard recommendation?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
I've had it with this ****ty M2N-SLI board from Asus. Can anybody recommend a good solid no BS motherboard that will work well for gaming?

I've already got these components to plug into it:

-Geforce 8800GT 512MB

-SoundBlaster Audigy 24bit something something.. only got a sound card cause the one on this board suuuucks.

-Linksys 10/100 Etherfast PCI Adapter - got this also because the on board card refused to run properly.

I swear it's as if this board just doesn't know how to do anything. I've had to forcefully learn so much crap about PC's I'm at my wits end and looking into just going back to console only gaming.

I'm looking at maybe 3-400 to blow when tax return time rolls around. but I'm not looking for bleeding edge or anything that's going to be new at the time. I'm a dad here with 2 little ones and a medium one who eats like a large one.. :(

So cheap = good :D but I want to try for something more reliable this time. Going cheap on this mobo has nearly killed my interest in pc gaming at this point. I really wish all the horrid reviews and warnings had been out when I bought this damned thing.

I had a 2nd 8800 for a while but I donated it to a longtime good friend so he could run UT3 on his rig. So yeah I'll be looking for another one. its an eVGA Geforce 8800GT. and yeah it's PCIe.

One thing here I think might be going on now, since I'm also having scratchy audio in games is maybe my mobo isn't sending out power or resources at all to the correct components. I'm looking at 2 audio cards, when I really want to correctly disable the onboard again, and I'm now wondering if I need to disable my onboard video also, and HOW to. :(

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
I'm a big fan of Gigabyte mainboards. Great bios features, if that's your thing. aluminum capacitors, and dual bios incase you screw up a flash.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
I'm a big fan of Gigabyte mainboards. Great bios features, if that's your thing. aluminum capacitors, and dual bios incase you screw up a flash.

I'll second that. Gigabyte makes excellent boards. :)

Although, I always cheap out and end up buying something like ECS, anyway. :p To be fair, the ECS boards have always worked well enough for me, but sometimes they leave a bit more to be desired. But hey, for the price I pay, I'm happy :)

MrSmiles

selimsrm
Jan 8, 2005
Swizzle Firma
I've used DFI boards in three computers will no problems, Gigabyte in one with no problems.

I've had problems with Asus boards in the past
(currently using a DFI BloodIron)

R34P3R

BUF Lurker
Oct 31, 2008
A Site said:
Associates already reported that the announcement of nehalem generation processors can be broken in two phases: server processors will appear at the end of September, and desktop nearer to November.
:)

Kaleena

Unregistered User
Feb 17, 2008
Oh. I wanted to buy a Q6600 or e8xxx, but I guess I'd better wait a little more since prices are about to change D: