IRC Problems

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Recently I have been unable to connect to IRC, trying both xChat and mIRC. The error I notices involved "dns pool."

Is anyone else unable to connect? Is IRC down and has stayed down for a while? Is there anything I can do that I have no clue about?

Hope someone knows the answer to even one of these questions and will respond.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
can you give the exact error message? if it's an error related to the dns pool i guess try a different server. which network are you trying to connect to? can you connect to any others?

Gryph

trap
Nov 29, 2004
not mold factory
Never seen that problem before, so checked google:

"DNS Pool" is not an error, it just means that the named address you are connecting to maps to several different numeric (IP) addresses, any of which would connect you to the network"

It would seem that that's just a notice that the server you're connecting to is a rotator. Did you get any other sort of error? Can you post the connection status log? What server are you trying to connect to? Can you tell us more about your connection (eg. is it a connection on which certain things may be filtered)?

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
UGH UGH UGH

Bleck, sorry about updating this, I think I blocked it out of my mind I even made a thread :(

You're right, dns pool is not an error, the error I'm getting is a connection timed out error.
Here's verbatim what the log says on mIRC.

*Connecting to irc.enterthegame.com (6667)
*Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
*Connect retry #1 irc.enterthegame.com (6667) (dns pool)
*Unable to connect to server (Connection timed out)
*Connect retry #2 ....

And it goes on like that. XChat isn't working either. So yeah. Maybe I'm trying the wrong port?

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
weird. this just seemed to start happening without cause? i guess you don't recall installing/configuring any network software recently? specifically add port 6667 to your firewall exceptions and if you know how to open ports in your router do it there too. though i don't think that either of those will work cuz ports don't randomly close themselves... give it a shot though

also out of interest try /server irc.quakenet.org

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
quakenet works, but then again it's a different port. I'm going to see about opening port 6667, though I have no clue how that'll work...

UPDATE: Can't find anything that's working with my firewall. In anything that looks like port exceptions I've added 6667, but still nothing :hmm:

I don't know how to open a port from a router here, mainly because I'm on a college campus and it's not exactly my router I'm using.

Last edited:

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
New problem! I've turned off my firewall for 15 minutes to see if this will work. Here's the new error message I've received.

Unable to connect to server (Network is unreachable)

But now it's going back to (connection timed out) as the error. So eh. Still stumped on how to fix this.

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
sounds like the port is blocked by the router, at least i can't think of any other explanation. if this is the case you won't be able to fix it :( any way you can ask your network administrator about it?

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
sounds like the port is blocked by the router, at least i can't think of any other explanation. if this is the case you won't be able to fix it :( any way you can ask your network administrator about it?

I guess I could try finding out who the network administrator is on the campus :). That might take a few days to get around to.

Sheesh, it's almost not worth talking to you guys on irc :p

ShakeZula

Nov 9, 2005
Cheshire, England
if you have a computer with broadband back home you could set up a VPN connection and use that to access IRC :p

maybe your network admin will tell you that the port isn't blocked, and then it's simply a matter of finding someone smarter than me to advise you!