Hard Drive Upgrade

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What should I buy?

• Two 500GB and put them in RAID 0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • One 1TB

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • One 36GB Raptor (OS) and one 500GB (storage)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
Get the 1TB drive and be done with it. The benefits for RAID for gaming are mostly being able to claim you had a nerdgasm.....

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Depends if you're using Vista or not... some RAID controllers will work straight off, and for the rest you can install the drivers from a USB stick.

RAID isn't useless as ZP makes out, for gaming and general use you'll see a slight decrease in loading times, but usually nothing significant enough to make it worthwhile. If you're doing something dependant on throughput, such as video editing, then RAID0 (or hardware RAID5) is nigh-on essential.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Normally I'd say stick with a single disk, as over here there's not much difference in price between 2x500GB and 1x1TB, but from the links you posted there is a fair price gap which makes the RAID0 option quite attractive. Shame that store only stocks Seagate and WD drives - over here the Samsung and Maxtors tend to be a little cheaper, so it's worth looking around as much as you can.

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
I'd go for Western Digital Caviar 640GB $144.69
The Seagate 500GB costs $141.06

Benchmark: http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14583

Other that includes SSD:
16848.png
16849.png

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
[Snarf];2145717 said:
Yes, I had almost made up my mind on two of those 640GB Caviars, when I saw someone on another forum write that it was "one of the loudest hard drives he had ever owned". I'm really tryng to keep this build quiet, and many people have said that the Barracudas are easy on the ears.

Another thing that put me off the Caviar, is the warranty - it's only 3 years vs Seagate's 5 year warranty.

EDIT: I found the Samsung - price is reasonable: SAMSUNG SPINPOINT F1

Can anyone comment on the acoustics?
I see. But this is what I found:
noise-seek.gif

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
[Snarf];2145755 said:
Yes, you're right. That drive has impressive scores throughout that entire review. Now I'm more undecided than ever :lol:
Hehe, I'm only worried about WD warranty and reliability compared with the Seagate. Otherwise:
graph_xp.PNG
graph_app.PNG

graph_general.PNG
graph_bruit.PNG

Or just buy a Velociraptor :D

Last edited:

Benfica

European Redneck
Feb 6, 2006
[Snarf];2145948 said:
As for the Velociraptor? Yes, if only it was $200 NZD cheaper I'm sure I could survive with only 300GB, but I need the rest of my spare cash for the HD 4870, which is going to be here any second now! :D
I was just screwing around with you :D