Deus Ex runs like crack. :(

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I'm ripping my hair out trying to figure out an acceptable solution to this problem. I basically get to choose between three evils. Here's the gist of it:

1) I'm using the enhanced renderers already. My usual option (Set FrameRateLimit to 200, which works absolutely perfect in Unreal and UT) doesn't seem to work in Deus Ex - it completely ignores this setting and continues to run too fast, albeit with extra stutters that are not there without FrameRateLimit.

2) Setting VSync fixes it by capping the framerate to 100, which is my refresh rate at 1024x768. However, the game mouse lags terribly every time I turn to the right. This is unacceptable.

3) Enabling DirectInput cures THAT problem; however, the mouse will not function in the menus at all, or the user interface. This WILL work if I do it windowed, but not fullscreen.

4) I have no power management on this computer. (It's always on, so it's set to thus)

5) Disabling one of my CPU cores did nothing.

6) The cpuspeed commandline option did nothing.

7) Forcing compatability modes did nothing.

8) The regular D3D Renderer works, but then I get no AA, no AF, no detail textures, none of the fun stuff.

Long story short... I need a way to cap framerates to 200 that WILL work, or a way that will get the menu to recognize the mouse when DirectInput is enabled.

If only FrameRateLimit actually WORKED in the DX enhanced renderers, this wouldn't be a problem... *sighs*

(Or if the engine source code was actually releaseable in some form, people could make ports that would allow these classics to run on for years and years and years...)

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Okay, got the mouse stuttering issue to go away... so now I can play and at least enjoy the game, albeit at a measly 100 FPS. If any of you know a way to disable VSync and yet lock framerate to 200 FPS, I'd love to hear it still.

Soggy_Popcorn

THE Irish Ninja
Feb 3, 2008
Measly 100 fps?? I'm not quite sure, but I think that's well beyond the human eye's sensitivity for fps...

Hyrage

Apr 9, 2008
Well above 100 it's a good FPS, but your own eyes can go over 1000 fps. White images also stay longer in the memory than darker images.

MaestroMaus

Jul 22, 2008
Dark Pulse, could you please explain me how to apply "Set FrameRateLimit to 200" to the default Deus Ex renderer?