Buying a new rig, what can I carry over?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SolaceEternal

SPANK THAT TUNA
Apr 29, 2004
Graphics card etc, aside, do I really need to get a new monitor? My HD is fairly new and is fine... what about disk drives?

Defeat

GET EM WITH THE BACKSMACK WOOOOO
Apr 2, 2005
Illinois
www.google.com
Yeah, it really depends on exactly what each rig has. Deathmaker, depending on what he's playing, LCDs still aren't as good because of the ghosting/lag.

B

Bee
Sep 6, 2000
Bussum, NL
www.zdclan.nl
Yeah, it really depends on exactly what each rig has. Deathmaker, depending on what he's playing, LCDs still aren't as good because of the ghosting/lag.

If you get a decent LCD, with low response times you won't have ghosting or lag.

People who still claim that CRT's are superior to LCD's need to read up on the available screens today.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
The key components of a new computer generally include a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and video card. A lot of the other stuff in your computer can transfer over depending on how old it is. For instance if you're not having any trouble with hard drive space then just carry it over. I usually carry over my soundcard, hard drive, and DVD-ROM over because the ones I've had for the past 2 years have been more than enough.

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
[Snarf];2148974 said:
Yes, CRT's are heavy, ugly and bulky, but if picture quality is what you want, they are simply the best.

I used an Iiyama 454VMpro for over five years and that was one of the highest acclaimed 19" CRT's. I have to say, I shared your views in that every LCD I'd seen was inferior to the 454.

Then I purchased a Benq FP241W. This thing makes the Iiyama mediocre looking, at best! No dead pixels, blacks are more than fine, no ghosting and no input lag that I can notice. And there are even better LCD's on the market.

As for costing 3-4 times as much, well, the Iiyama cost me £350, the Benq cost £450.

Oh yeah, and since using the LCD I've not had a headache after prolonged use, something that I'd often get after a long sesh on the CRT.