BioShock 2 DLC Announced

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
2K rolls out news that downloadable multiplayer and singleplayer content is on the way to BioShock 2. First up is a multiplayer pack. 1Up summarizes it this way:

Is 2K Marin not entitled to the sweat of its brow? No, says the cynical gamer, downloadable belongs on the disc. Nevertheless, the company already announced upcoming DLC for BioShock 2, focusing specifically on the multiplayer aspect. The "Sinclair Solutions Test Pack" will be available for Xbox 360, PC, and PS3 for 400 Microsoft Points, or $4.99. The pack includes a rank increase to level 50, the playable characters that were available as pre-order bonuses, 20 new trials, a third upgrade for each weapon, and five new masks. We have to wonder if raising the level cap for those who buy the DLC will make the game unbalanced, or if they'll simply be filtered into their own game lobbies.

In related news, our friends at Evil Avatar point to an article by veteran game reviewer Tom Chick at fidgit that rips into the entire BioShock 2 multiplayer implementation.

Meanwhile, I can get into multiplayer Bioshock 2 games on the PC with no problem. The "getting in" part is easy. The "playing" part is a whole other kettle of fish. Rotten, stinking, franchise-killing fish. The PC multiplayer is afflicted with insufferable lag. I jump down from the second-story balcony of the Kashmir Restaurant and open fire on the guy hacking the turret, but then I'm suddenly back on the second floor again. I try to walk through a door, but it won't open. I turn a corner and suddenly I'm staring at the wall ten feet short of the corner. What the hell is going on? It's like having a 2400 baud modem.

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
Lol, they want people to pay for a handful of maps for a FPS game?

Also, nice to see that they're selling out completely with the "Buy our DLC or face the wrath of players who are more powerful than you are because they bought it and you didn't".

Sk.7

Jan 31, 2008
When it comes to piracy my country is the Caribbean Sea and I'm not even Norway! No wonder why Microsoft won't bring their BS client over here, it might affect their ego seeing how we wouldn't give a damn about hacking it since all it has are the crappy DLCs because if you are willing to pay 5$ for a few maps and playable characters... Then you're probably playing an MMO ;)

Congratulations to anyone who's contributing to the DLC business, a nightmare to any consumer. Let's stick with the fact that half-assed products cannot technically get humped in the back... Yet they manage to pull it off successfully! That's Microsoft for you :)

Sorry folks but however I do love BioShock 2 and Borderlands, when it comes to these DLCs I must turn to my flamethowers...

KaiserWarrior

Flyin' High
Aug 5, 2008
Don't get me wrong; I was fine with the idea of DLC back when it was called expansion packs and actually added legitimate, substantial value to the base game at a reasonable price.

But these days, DLC mostly consists of developers either spending a miniscule amount of time to put out a handful of mediocre maps or a new model or two, or outright unlocking content that shipped with the disc (See Capcom And Street Fighter IV) and release them for 10% of the cost of the full game. It is unashamed, blatant nickle-and-dime business designed to rip off gullible idiots that weren't around when this stuff was done for free, either by the company themselves or the community.

To this day, I categorically refuse to purchase any DLC that is not expansion pack size and quality.