Any reason to change my IP addresses?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

~Psycho~

Nov 10, 1999
Is there any reason to change the ip addresses of my router and modem etc from the default 192.168.x.x etc.?

Can I change them to whatever I want as long as I keep them on different subnets?

How many digits are you allowed in each number?

EQ²

Code Monkey
Oct 30, 2004
Near Birmingham, UK
www.teambse.co.uk
you can go from 0 to 255 per number.

192.168.x.x is default for LAN, I don't know why you would want to change that.
This is untrue, you can go from 1 to 254 for addresses (the last address has a special meaning and you cannot use it for normal addresses, it is a special "broadcast" address, so for a /24 subnet this address is 11111111 which is 255 in decimal).

There are 3 ranges you can use for private networks which vary based on your requirements. These are 10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/16 and 192.168.0.0/24 and they're called class A, B and C respectively. Most domestic equipment comes configured with a class C address and there's really not much necessity to change it unless you need two devices to be on separate subnets for security or managability purposes.

The exception to this is with routers, where having a device on the WAN side of your router with a LAN address can get confusing, both from your point of view and the routing table of your router :) If the modem is built into the router the point is moot of course.

For a separate modem most setups would put it on a different subnet, or a subnet of a different class: for example, you could configure your router's LAN address as 192.168.1.1 and have the modem on 192.168.2.1. For small business networks I normally configure everything on the WAN side of the main firewall as class B subnet, and the LAN as class A but that's just a personal choice and it's a fairly common pattern in practice.

Sorry the short answers to your questions are:

You don't need to change them but you may wish to for clarity.

Yes if you stick to valid private addresses.

The digits allowed depend on the subnet you choose.

Basically, you can pick any configuration you like provided it fits into one of the private ranges I mentioned above. So:

192.168.33.0/24 is allowed
192.169.0.0/24 is not a valid private range

10.0.0.0/8 is allowed, as is 10.13.37.0/24 :)

172.16.0.0/16 is allowed also as mentioned above

You can obviously make the subnets smaller, but bear in mind that the subnet mask must expand to a set of contiguous 1's followed by contiguous 0's. So 255.255.255.248 is a valid subnet mask but 255.255.255.170 is not.

Oops got a bit carried away, I did intend for this to be a short summary :rolleyes:

Last edited: