Better than the last?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
here are some screens from my new map DM-Absolvation.

it is a small 2-4 player map, i havent fine tuned the backround strory (for my read me) yet... hmmm

i actually started this map BEFORE GraveIntentions, but had a cluster**** of textures and plain walls... i hope ive fixed the n0ob texture hell syndrome this map suffered in its prior state... after some feedback on the screenshots i'll release hopefully this weekend.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
small shots :)
gameplay doesnt look that bad, you have some spaces, and rooms, and ramps and stuff, but cant really say something about that offcourse, its just a pic, textures look a bit weird though, a concrete texture in the middle of the futuristic metal ? dunno, actually have too see it to say something :)

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
well the gameplay isnt bad, you got some nice elements and stuff in it, but the map is ugly :) certianly the textures, some very weird things, no harmony and stuff
erm a wooden crate texture on a floor with metal around it ??? and you got more stuff like that, dont use too many textures, you need harmoney, unity, you cant get that if everything is differtnt and doesnt fits the place, lightnign was a bit overal too, try too work with bigger contrastd and stuff
and on some places you should give more possibilty to get up to another floor and stuff (improove flow with other words), sometimes you see this other floor, higher above you, but then you have too walk 50000 miles before you find the entrace too really get on it, but map is not bad, now make it beautifull :)
weapons and stuff were general good, havent saw bad things

ok

cool feedback guys thanks!!

what textures would you guys suggest i use... i had originally have this map textured with way too many textures and ugly ones too, i was hoping i'd toned it down a bit but as i see i havent... LOL ok ok, i thought i liked the wood look on those floors, they are a crate texture but i thought i had them aligned so as to avoid looking like flat crates on the floor... eek

im going in to retexture completely again... maybe some brick walls or something i dunno (i had originally used the AcidPablo textures from Chronos... love that wall tex, maybe ill rework that one in.)

rig

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
uttech1 looks bad in general, too old and ****, and use only a coiple of main texturees, so only 2 or 3 wall textures or something for the entire map, for the walls, you can still use other ****, but you use them the most of all, same for the floors, ceiling, lamps, and all the rest, you make a base of a few goodtextures wich you use really alot, will create much more unity then, so it will look muhc better

how bout AcidPablos brick texture from chronos... thats what ive put in it now.. i guess i'll post it if you want me to. but im commiting a cardinal sin and working on a new map before finnishing this one (i actually made this one before i made GraveIntentions... but i didnt release it)

my new map wil hopefully be starting to improve... its not "greybrick industrial" theme, ancient gothic theme, futuristic space theme, or even ShaneChurch theme... its something "hopefully" new and get this!! I even have a background story!! phew... ok enuff of me already

vilehelm

...zzzzzzz...
Jan 8, 2002
The Deep South, USA
Visit site
Hey Rigor. I played the map. Very tight little space (tight like well put together).

Uh I only had two comments. I kept trying to jump through that glass to the outdoors before i realized it was glass (that's not really a criticism i just thought you'd like that).

The only thing that leapt out at me is the rusty metal texture on the slopes needs to be scaled down. Those little bumps on that type of metal are there to provide traction. You'd have to have giant, giant feet for it to work (wait, i smell a mod! a really smelly mod, UnrealToenament ):rolleyes:

sorry

Vilehelm: thanx for the feedback... ive retextured the map at this point but i still appreciate the advice for future reference!!

I intended Absolvation to be a tight little space... with some of the only cover being to run away... and i tried to make sure there were places to run quickly... try floowing someone in there sometime... followers get owned bad!

me and my buddy bloodforge have had many a bloodbath in that tiny little ****er!! evil map but ugly as hell... i think im just stuck with the fact that its ugly:rolleyes: unless anyone has any ideas.

vilehelm

...zzzzzzz...
Jan 8, 2002
The Deep South, USA
Visit site
Looks better.

I think that the "ugly" factor (which i don't think is the right word really, generic i think is more correct) could be solved with a few more of those decals with words. Something to give it a sense of "place" and not just a funky box... Also you could inject something unexpected in those decals (colors, imagery, i don't know).

Not a lot is needed, just a few things to pop out and break up all of the grey. A little goes a long way.

Also it seems that the wood texture on the ramps is funny in a few places, mostly the one composite shaped ramp in the middle. The wood texture bends, looks like a stealth fighter made of wood (pauses as he gets a bad idea).

I think having a story to start off with is great way to drive the conceptual aspect of the map. That way you'll look for those chances to add something specific and give it that "sense of place".

when are we gonna have a sewer show down?

my "sweage" map is near completion.. if you want to have a "showdown" thats fine :)

but instead... lets just enjoy one anothers maps and each others efforts at trying to make sence of this damn @$$ editor!! :cool:

my map isn't an actual sewer you see... well... you'll just have to wait and see it i guess! i'll post the map and the background story when im done wit it!

vilehelm

...zzzzzzz...
Jan 8, 2002
The Deep South, USA
Visit site
Originally posted by RigorMortis
but instead... lets just enjoy one anothers maps and each others efforts at trying to make sence of this damn @$$ editor!! :cool:

group hug!

yeah i started on my new one, it's gonna be slow though as i have a couple of free lance gigs to finish so i may not be doing as much mapping as i'd hoped.

All this business is gettin in the way of my pleasure!

hook me up with a few of those freelance accounts... no problem... free you up to get smashing good in UED!! of course you have to hook me up with the $$$ too :D

my sweage related map is near completion.... maybe tonight i'll post an alpha... i dunno... SNL comes on soon... so maybe not

vilehelm

...zzzzzzz...
Jan 8, 2002
The Deep South, USA
Visit site
With things the way they are I'm scared to turn down work.

All of this is on top of the 9 to 5...i'm a design ho!

YO WANT LOGO? 5 DOLLA NO HALLA!

oi...

my sewer is turning out gigantic...i'm starting to dig it but it's going to take forever to finish it. It's a real learning experience.

The Lawrence of Arabia of Sewers!

ps is that a tattoo in your avatar?