Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > General Infiltration Discussion

View Poll Results: Will getting rid of the RC-50 be an improvement for an RA server?
Yes. 16 34.04%
No. 31 65.96%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18th Dec 2001, 09:33 PM   #1
St0rmcaller
[AFA]'s unoffical godfather

Question RA v2, concerning possible RC-50 removal?

Please, do not vote if you don't play RA!

I had played for about two hours total today. Everyone seemed veritably happy with the mutie, and there was only one complaint:

That God-damned robar. I'm posting a damn poll on this, just to see if tonight was a fluke. But I've never seen more people bitch about it before in my INF-life. Seemed to me majority of folks just want it gone.

Personally, I despise it, and the way it currently functions, and not to mention it's lack of use as a service weapon. At least the PSG-1, although not being a service weapon, represents the more common service sniper rifles. However, I have never felt like the folks on the server tonight. My problem is no longer with scopes considering the changes RA have made. So, my question is this:

Will getting rid of the RC-50 entirely heighten the gameplay atmosphere?

AFA Message Board
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."-Ben Franklin
-To believe in the life of Love, to walk in the way of Honor, and to serve in the light of Truth...
-When the soldier gets to Heaven, to St. Peter he will tell, "One more soldier reporting, sir. I've served my time in Hell."
St0rmcaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2001, 10:30 PM   #2
Guardian_BOB
Glitch! BFG!

Post Re: RA v2, concerning possible RC-50 removal?

Quote:
But I've never seen more people bitch about it before in my INF-life.
What is the nature of the bitching ? Too accurate ? Use on smaller maps? I didn't notice anyone complaining last week when I was on. I don't use it myself but did see 5 out of 8 on a map had it as their loadout too many folks using it, turning it into a very long sniper war ? If thats the case then perhaps change RA so that no more than 2 players on a team can carry an RC50.

I'll vote 'no' for now and retain the right to change it later

Slay Ya Later Guardian_Bob.
Guardian_BOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2001, 11:07 PM   #3
Scuddie
I am probably better than you.

Nah, the problem isnt the robar, it's the lamers abusing it's power. If you implemented location based damage, this problem would end. Robar whores give the occasional snipers (like me) a bad name. Robar use on CQB maps does need to be banned, IMO.
Scuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2001, 11:31 PM   #4
DeMachina
gone

Thinking about it, I voted yes.
For a while now (when I play on AFA#2), I begin to use the psg-1. I never though of using it before since the advantage teh robar had on it was too high. But now, with RA, I almost never use it (unless I get kill too often by one).
And as long as they dont implement better location damage, it should probably remove. I know that while I used it, I've done too much cheap 1-shot-foot-kill.

Or reduce it's damage to 95 , but that could get a little unrealistic since a shot in the torso should kill you with the robar...

Anyway you could test it and see how people react to it...
DeMachina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2001, 12:00 AM   #5
The_Fur
Back in black

there is no use for the robar at the ranges we have in inf and hipshooting in CQB... don't even get me started.

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski
The_Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2001, 01:08 AM   #6
erehwoN
The Bass Ackwards BTL

I agree. The robar is used too much where it shouldn't be. I hate coming around a corner in Kazakhstan and being blasted by a robar. There are suitable replacements for it imho.

V---------->Vote---------->Kick---------->Robar

In Hoc Signo Vinces.
Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol.
AFA's Homepage :: New AFA Forums :: INF's Official IRC- irc.gamesurge.net #Infiltration
erehwoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2001, 01:20 AM   #7
W.R
Infateer

Thumbs up

I can take out a lot more people a lot faster with the PSG-1 then with the RC-50. RC-50 is to slow and you cant correct if you miss.
I say keep it

hardcore gun-hoe kill soldier
W.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2001, 01:30 AM   #8
DamienW
I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir

Sure, the Robar isn't correctly modeled yet, and is seen in places where it shouldn't be used .... However, INF has currently no one-shot-kill scoped rifle yet, so i say keep it .... Anyway, by definition, i really don't see why people need to say that a given weapon is bad .... RAv2 and AFA just showed us that in fact, what counts is the people who play.... Not the weapons ... Period.
And i almost exclusvely play on RA servers
Old 19th Dec 2001, 01:31 AM   #9
The_Fur
Back in black

that is not the point, the fact that it's not realistic is.

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski
Old 19th Dec 2001, 01:37 AM   #10
DamienW

Ah, good'ol The_Fur....
I DO know it's not realistic, and i wouldn't even bother posting here if it was the question .... The question Storm asked was "will it change the gameplay atmosphere", to what i answered "No" .... There are still more 'unrealistic' things in INF, so i say let the team handle them, and have RA stay in its limits, i.e. tweak and change values for an enhanced gameplay (which it is very good at, if you ask me) .....
Old 19th Dec 2001, 01:46 AM   #11
asmodeus
DB addict

make the thing not shootable from the hip or even standing

Deathball (sports mod for UT2k4)
NADBL season 2 rookie of the year
asmodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2001, 02:03 AM   #12
DamienW

Now that's a good idea, ASMO ... Much better in my opinion than to remove the thing ... And it fits in the RA spirit, in my mind ... Therefore, i and ask for a "processed Yurch style" sticker...
Old 19th Dec 2001, 02:34 AM   #13
The_Fur
Back in black

either make it realistic or remove it, either way would be fine with me. Personally i think it simply doesn't belong in inf. .50cal rifles don't belong in a game where the max range rarely exeeds 200m.

-Dostoyevski
Old 19th Dec 2001, 02:39 AM   #14
Tiran Kenja
CO of Creepers

*LOL*

Ahhh finally a sign that the INF players are getting with the program...

Whenever there is nothing real to complain about. People starts complaining about snipers in some form or another

Major General Tiran Kenja
Commanding Officer Creepers

-----------------------------[*+C+*]-----------------------------
mailto:tiran_kenja@creepers.org
http://www.creepers.org
Tiran Kenja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2001, 02:51 AM   #15
Tiran Kenja
CO of Creepers

EDIT:
Stupid forum didn't seem to respond. SO I got the post off a couple of times :/

Last edited by Tiran Kenja; 19th Dec 2001 at 01:44 PM.
Old 19th Dec 2001, 02:59 AM   #16
Tiran Kenja
CO of Creepers

EDIT:
Stupid forum didn't seem to respond. SO I got the post off a couple of times :/

Last edited by Tiran Kenja; 19th Dec 2001 at 01:43 PM.
Old 19th Dec 2001, 03:22 AM   #17
jlamb_vo
{GD}Spunky{Pfc}

I was very torn up about this (well, as torn up as you can be over the presence of a fake weapon in a video game ) but in the spirit of how the game has been developed I think it would be much more appropriate to work on how the gun functions in the game.

If it were removed on a strictly short-term interim bases until a better solution was coded (many many excellent and valid suggestions have been introduced to make all sharpshooting harder) I would consider that, but the way it is worded I cannot support it fully.

Make the thing realistically difficult to handle. There are some maps, and they will continue to emerge, where such a rifle may have a place. I don' t know about all its practical applications in real life, I've heard things here and there, but a gun like this may be applicable when we are dealing with armor, vehicles, fortified positions etc becuase of its penetration more than anything.

Increase the zoom, add weapon inertia, gravity, at least limited area damage, ballistics (go Yurch go) increase twitch and wobble when leaning and standing, or in the case of the robar even crouching, prohibitively difficult, and tighten the overall FOV of the game, and many of these issues may go away.

There its that simple!

The only times I have been really annoyed by the robar online is on that damn sniper hill the reds have on EP, but that has more to do with the hitbox problems. Also, the fact that they can lean out while prone and shoot it makes it all the harder to hit.

There has been an argument that being 'killed' in these games really represents being knocked out of action not necessarily killed... and that a robar shot into your leg could pretty much tear off the limb and render you pretty useless... but then its just something I heard

Anyawy short of it is: I would rather see a weapon thats been in since version 1.5 or something in Unreal 1 STAY and BE ALTERED than have it thrown out for a long term... but if none of these effects can be implemented any time soon it may help as a very short term solution.

"Ghost Dogs never die--they just regroup in hell!"
jlamb_vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2001, 03:43 AM   #18
[121st]Burton
full-auto SIG abuser

A long time ago (when 2.85.3 was still new) I suggested several things to balance out the Robar. e.g. no sniping while leaning, if you are standing while leaning the weapon wobble gets really bad after a short time of aiming and some things similar the RA mutator does.

The team said: No...it would be bad for gameplay and is unrealistic.

I am NOT for taking it out. I am for balancing it in a realistic way.
Old 19th Dec 2001, 06:52 AM   #19
FunkyShyte

ra may fix a lot, but sniping with a 14 kg uber rifle still should require far more skill.

1) the difficulty of holding the rifle steady in different positions needs to be "realistified". while prone, there shouldnt be much trouble aiming the robar accurately even with a smg on your back, OTOH while prone turning it to a significantly different angle ( > 20° maybe, but assymetrically dependign on handedness) would require you to "hip" it or temporarly lose eye alignment (scope goes paritally black) because you have to lift up your left ellbow. (and reposition your upper torso a bit in general).
unless of course you are in a entrenched sniping position which would take about 5-30 minutes to set up depending on the ground and terrain where you would not be able to turn more than your position allows that easily at all.. )
2) keeping the robar on point while moving, even crouched, should be near impossible.
3) no robar hipshooting (or make it possible but drop the weapon 3 m behind the player after the shot *G*).
4) as long as there is no way (or noone has the time to implement it) to realize a mechanism where the code detects corners you actually can use (press the rifle into them with your holding hand etc [edit:] using the shaft of the rifle as a stabilizer while "hanging" on to it into the corner, thats how we were taught to do it [/edit]) i would suggest this:
leaning should make a big difference in aiming the rifle (maybe even make you flip over if you lean out to far *rofl*). while balancing your weight out on one foot you have to constantly compensate with small body movements to maintain balance, the more you lean the harder it is (try it) and having 14kg in your hands strechted out wont make this any better. a certain wobble effect would make the "you might see my shoulder while i point-and-click you dead" effect go away (this one personally annoys me the most, as it does not require ppl to actually have a good sniping position but do that around essentially any corner).
4) carrying any other AR/SMG (and the stupid backpack, rofl) should make all off the above even more difficult.
5) weapon inertia weapon inertia weapon inertia weapon inertia

just my .02 c. i hope i made sense. all of the above is pure theory, i never actually had any rifle in my hands larger than a german G3. MGs dont count, althought they are heavier the handling is a whole different story.

btw fur, i still think i could *walk around* pretty well with a robar + smg

preparing to be flamed..
FunkyShyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Dec 2001, 07:02 AM   #20
Bullzeye
A damn shifty character...

I think we need a Remington 700 (M40)
It=better gun...
Replace the PSG1 with the MSG90 also...

People think World War II is over, but that's crap. It's still going on 20 miles from me in Youngstown, Ohio. You think Carentan was an urban nightmare, you should see down town Y-town. It's the only place in the world where an Adult Book Store is located right next door to a dentist office and right across the street from a church. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
Bullzeye is offline   Reply With Quote