XP issues with UED2

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
Since upgrading to Windows XP, UED2 won't let me export textures for some reason. It pretends too, and goes through the PCX saving routine as usual, but the file never materialises.

Is this a known issue?

I'm having to take a screenshot of the texture browser and the required texture out for modification at the moment, which is a bit of a fiasco to say the least.

Bot_40

Go in drains
Nov 3, 2001
York, UK
I get that quite often but I have win98. It only happens for certain textures too. Some work, some don't :\

fragswill

Charismatic Leader
Mar 21, 2000
Sweden
Originally posted by TheRealFluffy
Ulukai, did you notice some framerate drops since you upgraded to xp???????, I want to know that

I have no fps problems with XP, at least not in quake3 and UT. Just stay updated with the latest detonators.

I've heard of severe drops in half-life though.

Ulukai

May 2, 2000
I know what the problem is.

I always used to export textures to a sub-directory of the \My Documents folder, but XP moves the \My Documents folder into another folder about four sub-folders deep.

There is a problem with UED where the string buffer for holding filenames is not long enough, so when I export it in a place with a long pathname i.e. "C:\blah\blah\blah\blah\blahblah\blah\blah\blah\blah etc, the path becomes truncated and it doesn't save properly. So if I save in in a directory off the root, it's ok.

Varpu

Novice Nali City Reviewer
May 21, 2001
Finland
furpile.com
B0rked UED filenames

It's not only the filename path lenght. It is also what sort of characters You have in there. Seems like the UED export utilities, Yes, this applies to all of them, suffer from occasional 8+3 syndromes.
Suffix longer than 3 characters -> No file
Spaces in the pathname -> No file
Dots in between pathnames, especially the latter part being over 3 characters -> No file
and so on.....
This is because the Windows file scanning system is cramped by the compatibility issues with FAT16. I've struggled with exactly the same problem in my programs. And this phenomenon didn't go away with WIN2000. The only Micro$oft product that seems not to suffer of it is Win NT. And don't tell me I am using the file scanning system in a crooked way .... because I know I am.
This problem is most severe in the mechanism that transfers the OS parameters into the program. In all but WinNT You get the program location (the executable file name) with FAT16 compatible form with all those ~1 characters in it. UED for one uses that information to find out how You did install Your UT ....

Varpu

May 21, 2001
Finland
furpile.com
Re: Exporting Textures under Win XP

Originally posted by Fordy
Have you tried the UTX Viewer??
Aaarrrggghhh ..... that was PASCAL !
It was more that 15 years ago I coded something with that one.....
I made a similar proggie but without a fancy interface ... commanline driven to be usable in web sites =O).
Tried to read Your code to decode the X1 typed textures which seem to appear here and there. Other than that, my C++ version works great and it can also output jpeg images besides the obvious BMP ones.
I guess You have had a hard time when making that property encoder =O)
Anyway, if You are interested in a C++ version, You can get it from here.

And Ulukai, this version can extract a bunch of textures from any UT package... seeks the packages from all over Your hard drive. Doesn't go into zips ... yet. There is also a map reporter that generates a HTML page out of one or more maps with assault briefings, screenshots, item lists and all. And You can specift the layout of this "report" Yourself by making a HTML template ...

Fordy

Jul 10, 2001
York, UK
www.planetunreal.com
Oh no!

Im sure its a great program, but theres 1 reason why I couldnt be bothered to look at it...cos its DOS.

Nothing overly wrong with that 10 years ago but people expect a nice fancy interface these days. Seriously, im not having a go, im just explaining why I wont be using it.

Same with Epics texture converter...Bright...Im sure its brilliant at what it does, but its Dos and I cant be arsed going back to Dos anymore.

Varpu

May 21, 2001
Finland
furpile.com
Yeah, it is dos, unix and vms

Web servers can't use GUI =O)

And making a GUI into this one should be a peice of cakke (or is it piece of Haxe).
I just thought that You might be interested on the class structure and the way of reading the packages .... since You know pascal, it should not be too hard to understand C++. The package includes the sources.

And I know, there are only a handful of ppl that want to use a commandline driven tool if they can choose a mouse klickable one. But sometimes there is just no substitute for a CGI capable proggie that can work under web server.

MrFawn

Jan 25, 2000
Norway
www.planetunreal.com
Originally posted by fragswill

I have no fps problems with XP, at least not in quake3 and UT. Just stay updated with the latest detonators.

I've heard of severe drops in half-life though.

I had a 10 percent increase in UT first but the latest detonator drivers decrease the UT performance about 20%, and increase the 3dmark2001 score about 400points

Half life runs like it did with win98

XP uses your 256/512MB ram A LOT better than win9x

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
Re: Re: Exporting Textures under Win XP

Originally posted by Varpu

Aaarrrggghhh ..... that was PASCAL !
It was more that 15 years ago I coded something with that one.....

[...]

I guess You have had a hard time when making that property encoder =O)

Do you seriously blame UTX-Viewer for being written in ObjectPascal? I know quite a bunch of programmers who favor ObjectPascal instead of C due to it's clean and structured approach :)

Hehe, as for the property decoder, it was pretty simple in the end. Maybe a bit much of typing, but that's ok (considering my previous attempts; hey, I'm doing programming as a hobby on lonely weekends when I don't have any other things to do ;))

Erm, btw, I tried the link to your program. It seems to be broken. Do you have an updated link anywhere?

Bye,

- Jesco

Varpu

May 21, 2001
Finland
furpile.com
1. The link is allright but the crappy WWW server at the end is breaking up !

And, I don't blame anyone for using any programming language - the aarrrgh was there because it was soooo long time ago I have been reading that stuff (must be over 10 years) and because that made it quite hard to read.

Any oop language is a good choise as long as You are not writing code for device drivers, hair dryers, laundry machines or such. Even the puny NOKIA cellular has been programmed with some kind of OOP language.

However, there are portability issues between languages. If You would write code to multiple platforms (like I do), pascal would not do as well as does C++. Actually one of the best choises for portable programming is F77 =O) ...

Just tried the link asn it is working - barely. Darn I hate those ISP:s who can't keep their promises. Luckily I get 2M ADSL in two weeks - means I can put the server under my desk.

Jesco

Jul 7, 2001
Hamburg, Germany
forums.beyondunreal.com
Ah, looks I got your statement wrong. Sorry, my fault :)

Luckily, portability hasn't been on my priority list. I thought about doing a port to Linux/x86 using Kylix, but who would need that ;)

To be honest, UTX-Viewer was and still is my learning project. I started it with some basic knowledge in TP7 and learned while working at it.

I know that C++ is the way to go and sooner or later I'll re-do the Viewer in C++. And I think ObjectPascal did a good job teaching me the OOP principles (though I neglected many of them in the Viewer)

Oh, please don't forget to post an updated link once you have your server up and running!

Laff

Mar 12, 2000
another issue i have with xp and ued2 is when you do a lock computer (from ctrl alt delete screen, if you didn't know ;).) it crashes the editor with a bitblt error, sucky! i lock my comp whenever i go to classes and the such.