News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Off Topic

Old 3rd Dec 2001, 11:04 PM   #1
TomWithTheWeather
Die Paper Robots!

Unhappy BSoD in Windows XP

My computer crashed horribly today. My scanner software has always cause my computer to BSOD but this one was the big one. I rebooted as usual but just before it got to the windows xp screen it said file c:\windows\system32\config\system had been corrupted. Well after a few unsuccesful repair attempts, I have opted to reformat and install fresh.

Because I am sick and tried of losing data that I would like to keep (mp3, pics, docs, programs, etc.) I am going to purchase a new hard drive tomorrow and use my old one for backups.

What kind would you recommend? Keep in mind that it will be 7200 rpm and probably around 40 gigs. What brand is the best?

Also, what file system should I format my "backup" to? NTFS or FAT32? I'll be using NTFS and Windows XP for my fresh new harddisk.
Old 4th Dec 2001, 01:14 AM   #2
Rooster
Local Legend

You could compress if you use NTFS.

You could read it with a boot disk if it's FAT32.

It's more reliable if it's NTFS.

With FAT32, you can put it in a Win9x station and get the stuff off.

Your call.

My Rig(s)
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2001, 02:14 AM   #3
Bonehed316

western digital are fast and queit, but break often. deskstar(ibm) are nice, i have one. they run hot though..oh well. quantum suck nuts, dont bother.
Bonehed316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2001, 07:21 AM   #4
FireSlash
Whats a FireSlash?

i had this problem. its fixable.

you simply restore the system hive.

pop in your CP cd, choose repair.
it will take you to a prompt, log into your windows install.
(if i remember right)
now, change to c:\windows\system32\config. rename system.sav to system.sav.old, and system to system.old. now, copy c:\windows\repair\system (or was it restore?) to c:\wincows\system32\config.

if all goes well you should be booting now, but you mighy have to re-install some things depending on the last time System restore kicked in.

hope this helps either now or in the future.
Nothing works and no one knows why.
FireSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2001, 08:54 AM   #5
TomWithTheWeather
Die Paper Robots!

Quote:
Originally posted by FireSlash
i had this problem. its fixable.

you simply restore the system hive.

pop in your CP cd, choose repair.
it will take you to a prompt, log into your windows install.
(if i remember right)
now, change to c:\windows\system32\config. rename system.sav to system.sav.old, and system to system.old. now, copy c:\windows\repair\system (or was it restore?) to c:\wincows\system32\config.

if all goes well you should be booting now, but you mighy have to re-install some things depending on the last time System restore kicked in.

hope this helps either now or in the future.
Yeah! Thats what I did! I was so happy until it was about half way throught the install procedure when two or three messages came up the said something about a fatal exception somewhere. I kept going with the install and it finished like normal but when it rebooted it loaded the install program again and started doing the exact same thing it did the first time. I let it reinstall twice, but nothing worked. So I put in my Linux Mandrake disk and formated the whole thing.

I kinda hyped about getting a new harddisk anyway. Ill probably make a dual boot system with Windows XP and Linux.
Old 4th Dec 2001, 09:17 AM   #6
namu
Bleh.

Sad news

(Nobody believed me when i explained WinXP sets up an auto-destruction date upon installation)

We are not at war with Intel. We have never been at war with Intel. -- S. Jobs
namu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2001, 09:26 AM   #7
SimplyCosmic
ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.

An OS Troll in return for another OS Troll . . .

Quote:
(Nobody believed me when i explained WinXP sets up an auto-destruction date upon installation)
Of course it does. Unless you enter in the proper registration serial number.

But then, at least it doesn't auto-destruct upon installation of a program.
Old 4th Dec 2001, 09:40 AM   #8
namu
Bleh.

JOKE, SC

We are not at war with Intel. We have never been at war with Intel. -- S. Jobs
namu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2001, 11:16 AM   #9
TomWithTheWeather
Die Paper Robots!

Re: An OS Troll in return for another OS Troll . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by SimplyCosmic

Of course it does. Unless you enter in the proper registration serial number.

But then, at least it doesn't auto-destruct upon installation of a program.
But I have the right serial number and its profeesional version anyway.
Old 4th Dec 2001, 11:20 AM   #10
Syri
Who are you calling short?

i've got two 30Gb maxtor ATA100 drives in my machine, fast as f*ck!

The artist formerly known as D-Stroya
Syri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2001, 11:31 AM   #11
notintheface
pragma inline

Assuming that your using EIDE ATA 100 and not SCSI.

Goto http://208.158.105.29/P_949.htm

for:

IBM 60GB UDMA 7200RPM Ultra/ DMA/ EIDE Deskstar
-9.5ms 7200rpm 3year warranty Powerful solutions and innovations in desktop storage The Deskstar 60GXP provides high quality audio and video storage, superior digital content creation capabilities and significantly faster processing for multimedia and Internet applications. This new drive features enhancements such as low acoustics, reduced power and tagged command queuing. These improvements make the new 7200 RPM drive ideal for traditional desktop applications as well as for low-cost routers, entry-level servers and switches. Highlights: Capacity - 20 to 60 GB Rotational speed - 7200 RPM Interface - Ultra ATA/100 Sustained data transfer rates - 40 MB/sec Average seek time - 8.5 ms Product Specs:IBM Deskstar 60GXP at a glance Configuration Interface ATA Capacity (GB) 60/40/20 Sector size (bytes) 512 Recording zones 18 Data heads (physical) 6/4/2 Data disks 3/2/1 Max. areal density (Gbits/sq. inch) 15.3 Max. recording density (BPI) 449k Track density (TPI) 34,000 Performance Data buffer 2MB Rotational speed (RPM) 7200 Latency (average ms) 4.17 Media transfer rate (max Mbits/sec) 494 Interface transfer rate (max MB/sec) 100 Sustained data rate (MB/sec) 20.9 to 40.8 Seek time (read typical) Average (ms) 8.5 Track-to-track (ms) 1.2 Full-track (ms) 15.0 Reliability Error rate (nonrecoverable) 1 in 10E13 Start stop cycles (load/unload at 40 C) 40,000 Power Requirement +5 VDC (+- 5%), +12 VDC (+10%/-8%) Dissipation (typical) Startup current (max A) 2.0(12v) Idle (W) 6.7(3,2,1 disks) Physical size Height (mm) 25.4 Width (mm) 101.6 Depth (mm) 146 Weight (max g) 590 (3 disks), 575 (2 disks), 560 (1 disk) Environmental characteristics Operating Nonoperating Ambient temperature 5 to 55 C -40 to 65 C Relative humidity (noncondensing) 8% to 90% 5% to 95% Maximum wet bulb (noncondensing) 29.4 C 35 C Shock (half sine wave) 55 G/2 ms 400 G (2, 1 disks) 350 G (3 disks) Vibration (random [RMS]) 0.67 G for horizontal, 0.56 for vertical 1.04 G Acoustics (idle) Bels 3.1 (3 disks), 3.0 (2 disks), 2.9 (1 disk)

For 120.00 + S/H

Also Cheetah makes some really fast drives, but the majority are SCSI. I mean 10,000 RPM for Ultra SCSI2 Wow.

Hope the repairs go well.
Old 4th Dec 2001, 07:32 PM   #12
TomWithTheWeather
Die Paper Robots!

I got new Maxtor 40gig 7200 rpm drive! Woohoo! I like it alot. Im using the old one for backups and maybe a linux partition in the future. Thanks people!
Old 4th Dec 2001, 07:59 PM   #13
Twisted Metal
Anfractuous Aluminum

Quote:
Originally posted by TomWithTheWeather
I got new Maxtor 40gig 7200 rpm drive! Woohoo! I like it alot. Im using the old one for backups and maybe a linux partition in the future. Thanks people!
Yep, Maxtor is good.
Twisted Metal is offline   Reply With Quote