FPS Demo.......

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

lucifix

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Nov 3, 2001
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber
www.geocities.com
Whats the best fps demo out now? i have a 56k connection so i cant afford to sit and wait hours just to try them all out, oh and one that has the same sys requirements as UT no higher......

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
i liked Red Faction alot, especially cause it has a high replay value cause oou can edit everything, i could script a ultra powerfull gun or i could make small nuclear bombs and stuff, great too kill those humans with, certainly if 1 bomb blows away the hole map :p

AeroBLASTER

I build things
Sep 19, 2000
Texas
Visit site
I found Red Faction to be mediocre at best. They made a big deal about their geo-mod technology, and it ended up being used for nearly nothing. Aside from that, the gameplay was fair, but nothing special. /me boots up Half-Life...

Rabid Wolf

Piano Man Ghost
Oct 26, 2001
Vienna, Austria
well it so happens that I saw three videos yesterday.
chaser (official teaser)
serious sam 2 commented in-game movie)
halo (x-box, commented in-game movie)

here are my thoughts:

chaser
looks very, very interesting. the architecture was very blockish, but had nice detail and very nice texturing.
I'm not sure what gameplay will be like.
you had a bunch of special forces protect a "witness", leading him out of an urban building complex. that looked a lot like ghey tactical fps crap.
on the other hand, you had a single lady with a sniper rifle making it up onto a roof and executing the witness, with all the special forces looking pretty stupid. :) that would be more my kind of thing. but the game is far down the line, there ain't no demo near.

serious sam 2
looked quite dissappointing actually. gameplay seems your usual frag-the-hordes thingy which with ss1 I found to bore me quite soon.
there was a level where everything rotated, but the architecture was horribly low poly :/
then there was a snow level with windmills and little huts, and trees made of two sheets :D
and I swear to god a monster got cought behind one of these trees. *rofl*

halo.
okay, this is the x-box version, and because billy wants us all to buy one the pc version won't come anytime soon (if ever).
still...
I guess it looked nice enough.
the aliens were all smallish things, that seemed to run through the landscape with no goal.
you could get into vehicles, and once you were driving them, some ai buddies would jump on and operate the board cannons.
that's where I wondered... I never saw the bots drive a vehicle and the player operate the guns... hmmm...
gameplay was decidedly too hectic for my taste. it was worse than some really crap battlemech action thingy... :/

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
red faction looks like Half Life, but uglier

the ps2 version was fun but the PC one is a little bit **** compared to what I was expecting

Get wolfenstien, its great

failing that try some UT mods, INF or TO :p

Rabid Wolf

Piano Man Ghost
Oct 26, 2001
Vienna, Austria
were you the one with the celeron 500 & onboard grafix?
if so you'll find few if any of the current demos that would run anywhere near smoothly playable.

but I wonder what you're looking for anyway.
are you looking into a new game to see what it's like?
or are you just looking for something to play for as long as it lasts as a nice change from UT?

If the latter is the case, there are lots of demos out there from older games.
just go look for some through google or something "fps demo download", etc...

many an obscure demo from games that never got big can still be found on the net. but those are for off-line play. if you look for on-line things, I dunno.

did you get gore to run yet? (yes it sucks, but you could run it with your hardware.)
did you look into the wheel of time demo? (just two sp levels, but nice ones.)
maybe there's a klingon honor guard demo still around somewhere?
star trek voyager elite force also runs on older machines.
there were plenty of games.

just go look around on the net some.

Last edited:

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
well yah the game is a bit blury and stuff but its fun to play and its very editable, dont have the full game yet, but i heard it has a nice level editor and you can easy script your own weaons and stuff, great fun :)

great game to mess around with

lucifix

Nov 3, 2001
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf
were you the one with the celeron 500 & onboard grafix?
if so you'll find few if any of the current demos that would run anywhere near smoothly playable.

but I wonder what you're looking for anyway.
are you looking into a new game to see what it's like?
or are you just looking for something to play for as long as it lasts as a nice change from UT?

If the latter is the case, there are lots of demos out there from older games.
just go look for some through google or something "fps demo download", etc...

many an obscure demo from games that never got big can still be found on the net. but those are for off-line play. if you look for on-line things, I dunno.

did you get gore to run yet? (yes it sucks, but you could run it with your hardware.)
did you look into the wheel of time demo? (just two sp levels, but nice ones.)
maybe there's a klingon honor guard demo still around somewhere? (if there ever was one?)
star trek voyager elite force also runs on older machines.
there were plenty of games.

just go look around on the net some.
yep thats me. just a sample of some games that wont play on my pc alone in the dark4,american mcgees alice, soldier of fortune and no i never got gore to work. ut runs perfect with dynamic lighting off and q3a runs ok with a little slow down here and there. i have given up on finding "new' games to run on my pc.......i guess im running out of options........damnit i suck........
:redeemer:
oh, i forgot vampire the masquerade, it wont run either.

Rabid Wolf

Piano Man Ghost
Oct 26, 2001
Vienna, Austria
Originally posted by lucifix
yep thats me. just a sample of some games that wont play on my pc alone in the dark4,american mcgees alice, soldier of fortune and no i never got gore to work. ut runs perfect with dynamic lighting off and q3a runs ok with a little slow down here and there. i have given up on finding "new' games to run on my pc.......i guess im running out of options........damnit i suck........
:redeemer:

hey that's my config, too. a celeron 500 with an i810e and 64MB RAM was what it came like.
and it sucked!!! half a year later already...
but then I got me the latest drivers for the i810 and that made it a wee little more bearable.
but it wasn't until I got 128 MB of extra RAM that things got way better. no, it still isn't a powerhouse, but everything runs way more smooth. you'll know that the only render mode UT runs with is the software renderer. direct 3d had like 2 frames per second, and at times would precache forever. but with the extra ram d3d works wonderfully.
if you don't see any chance of getting a better computer anytime soon, I seriously suggest you get yourself extra RAM. It was never as cheap as it's now, especially since the retailers wanna get rid of their stocks of 100MHz SD-RAMs.

but even with only 64MB I got gore to run fine on low details. dunno why it doesn't work on yours.

lucifix

Nov 3, 2001
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber
www.geocities.com
Originally posted by Rabid Wolf

hey that's my config, too. a celeron 500 with an i810e and 64MB RAM was what it came like.
and it sucked!!! half a year later already...
but then I got me the latest drivers for the i810 and that made it a wee little more bearable.
but it wasn't until I got 128 MB of extra RAM that things got way better. no, it still isn't a powerhouse, but everything runs way more smooth. you'll know that the only render mode UT runs with is the software renderer. direct 3d had like 2 frames per second, and at times would precache forever. but with the extra ram d3d works wonderfully.
if you don't see any chance of getting a better computer anytime soon, I seriously suggest you get yourself extra RAM. It was never as cheap as it's now, especially since the retailers wanna get rid of their stocks of 100MHz SD-RAMs.

but even with only 64MB I got gore to run fine on low details. dunno why it doesn't work on yours.
i also got the updated drivers and 256mb ram. as far as setting the options in gore well the "words" dont even show up so i have no idea wht the fuck im clicking on.......

Akuma

Deacon Massif
Mar 4, 2000
Visit site
CS might run ok on your setup - you do have HL, don't you?

kingpin was ok I guess, so was Sin (Inoxxs favorite FPS :p)

Rabid Wolf

Piano Man Ghost
Oct 26, 2001
Vienna, Austria
joosd ahsg teh Ruk Wolf...

Here are four older ones. I considered the filesize when giving suggestions. Finding anything under 30 MB is virtually impossible. Unless maybe share-ware versions of doom or duke3d, but that stuff is too old I guess.

REQUIEM demo (32MB via ftp)

This is a game where you are an angel with "magic" powers if you're in the immortal realm and good old shooting thingies if you're in the mortal realms. Got the full version which is nice, but I don't know what 3 missions the demo comes with.

Info
Download

SIN demo (34MB via http)

I am right now downloading this myself. It's been around a while but looks nice. Dunno what to say about it.

Info
Download

KLINGON HONOR GUARD demo (31MB via ftp)

Well here you're a klingon. Bath'let and all... based on the unreal engine. played the demo a long time ago, and ordered the full version the other day for a whopping $3.95 :D still waiting for it to deliver, though...

Microprose doesn't have their official site for the game up anymore cause they got pissed down their backs by the license-holders Paramount. So no Info here. :(

Download

THE CHOSEN (Blood 2) demo (36MB via a semi-ghey fileplanet mirror)

This is fun. Oh this is fun... :p

Info
Download