DE Update

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Hello there! I can't wait to see our next batch of screenshot released and out there for all of you to see! But until then, here is another small but steady update for this week:

- We have been trying to get the light to closely match real world settings as much as we can. This can add greatly to the overall atmosphere of the levels. We are planning to release tutorials on how to do this on our website at some point. Yet another thing that Digital Extremes put in that users at some point (hopefully) can have in terms of tools to make, not only good playing levels but also really good-looking levels. And add to this all the things that Epic themselves are implementing into the engine makes it all the more sweeter.

- We are adding soon the final touches to the gun that will have defensive capabilities. We think that the game gets a bit more strategic with this type of gun. More on this at a later date.

- More was done on Tomb Of Rassul (5th time!). Sometimes it takes a couple of times to get a map done right. This time I think that the outdoor area will have a bigger impact. As a side note for all those aspiring artists out there, it is really important as an artist in this industry to be able to take criticism on your work and be prepared to re-think, re-design, re-work and to redo your work. Smart artists will actually talk about their intended project with their colleagues before they start or do a test/quick layout, which can save them lots of time in the long run. Especially on new and unexplored territories.

Hmmm, this last little comment makes me think about maybe giving some weekly advice from my experiences to people that are interested in joining the game industry and what they can expect. Despite major differences at all the different developer houses, there are some things that always apply and I wish I knew when I just started. It would have made that roller coaster ride a bit easier for me. I digress.

Until later, have a good one and don't do too many questionable things this coming Halloween,

Pancho

Is it just me, or is Pancho saying that there will be an UnrealEditor included? Sweet!

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
I'm even more excited about the defensive gun. I've always wanted to see a "real" shield in an FPS game, i.e. a shield that doesn't protect you permanently in all directions, but a shield that you have to activate and that covers only one direction, but when used right, gives you 100% protection. Kinda like the shields that swordfighters used in middle ages. Halo seems to have real shields. I'm looking forward to see how well they are implemented.

Certainly the statement that UC will come with UnrealEd is great news too. A console game that has the ability to add user-made content? Nice! It becomes more and more clear that the Xbox is simply a PC. ;)

Machismo

Up The Irons
Jul 21, 2001
MaidenHead
cloud.prohosting.com
We have been trying to get the light to closely match real world settings as much as we can. This can add greatly to the overall atmosphere of the levels. We are planning to release tutorials on how to do this on our website at some point.

boy oh boy I cant WAIT ......... :D

quitgrin1

Demon Like
Jul 31, 2000
Nowhere
www.geocities.com
I just hope Pancho or some other designer guy start wrting a column about Unreal-Engine map design later on.. that would help us a lot, it would be very good to hear wise thoughts from professionals.

GriNGo