Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > New Version Suggestions

Old 21st Oct 2001, 02:50 AM   #1
agent
I'm banned for
being a racist biggot!!

iron sights

pick up your rifle (or imagine your holding a rifle if you dont live in the states and dont own one). close your left eye (im assuming your right-handed). now aim with your rifle. [edit]the iron sights aren't that small are they[/edit]? (Gholam inspired edit) my point is, the iron sight system in Operation Flashpoint was done well and is realistic. therefore, it should be imitated. your weapon should be closer to your face (ie.: take up more screen) in inf when looking through its iron sights (except for pistols, knives and nades of course). this would make using the iron sights much easier (and more realistic), especially for the fa mas, and this surely would reduce acog lameness.

Last edited by agent; 21st Oct 2001 at 01:15 PM.
agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2001, 03:50 AM   #2
Trevor_Clim
Is this virtuous?

you said that it would better that the weapons should take up more screen (less view arround the weapon).

hmm and than you said that this would reduce acog lameness.

i dont understand that. with your suggestion the players will hate the iron sights of some weapons only more because they see less. and so they will use even more the ACOG.

or have i completely misunderstood your thread?
Old 21st Oct 2001, 03:53 AM   #3
agent
I'm banned for
being a racist biggot!!

OF

try OF and see what i mean. as for acogs, see my "".
Old 21st Oct 2001, 04:11 AM   #4
Trevor_Clim
Is this virtuous?

i played OFP very long and i think their iron sights are real, but they are so ugly...
hmm your " " was not exactly to understand

but less view when rising up the gun would not let players using their ACOG less?
Old 21st Oct 2001, 04:56 AM   #5
plastic fork
o_O

But agent... we have two eyes.

There are engine issues involved with making the gun closer to the face, too, but INF's sites are a fair enough compromise considering that in real life, we can easily open and close our other eye and easily roll our eyes around in their sockets.
plastic fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2001, 04:57 AM   #6
ANUBIS199

He wasnt refering to that, just the fact that you would be able to aim quite a bit easier as well as aquire targers quicker with iron sights and thus, less use of ACOGS. People are turned off by the iron sights because they are hard to aquire targers with (that famas is just awful because of it).

Edit: I beleive this is something that the INF team is trying to do, but clipping problems (gun sights disappearing from your view because they are to close to you...) seem to be stopping progress.

ANUBIS
ANUBIS199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2001, 05:02 AM   #7
Galthor
antagonist, absolut

Thumbs up

though you dont see your weapon as an 3d model anymore and your field of view is more restricted, the OFP sights look and feel far better and getting someone "in your sights" becomes easier.
i am still wondering why nobody suggested that earlier (including me)......

Ich bin der Geist der stets verneint,
der Beelzebub, der Überfeind.
Ich bin das was du nicht bist,
mit einem Wort: der Antichrist.
Galthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2001, 07:08 AM   #8
DarkBls
Inf Ex-admin

The distance from the eyes issue, is a well known one. The team is aware of it, but they should find how to get rid of object sistortion before beeing able to fix that. Yes I would love to have my FAMAS iron sight closer.

-New to Infiltration? Check out the Official Infiltration FAQ and Member's Infiltration FAQ.
DarkBls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2001, 08:11 AM   #9
Farouk
Adept

I have a possible solution, but it would mean some work.
Different first person gun models for hipped and shouldered position. (It's already there for the MP5 with aimpoint).
The shouldered gun models don't have to be true to the original. You look on them from only one direction (+- a few degrees while it's bobbing).
It wouldn't be so hard to let them look as if the original model were pushed closer to your eye. You'd also haven't that much work animating them because many animated things aren't visible at all when you look through the sights. And you also don't need to reload your gun when it's shoulderd.

As you can see on the MP5 with aimpoint there is a small glitch when the two models swap. You could avoid that by moving the 1st model down out of screen, swap the model and then bring the 2nd one up again. Though I don't know if that is possibly more annoying than the short glitch.
Farouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2001, 08:19 AM   #10
NotBillMurray
It's Suntory Time!

Please don't get them as extreme as OFP. They went too far IMO. I can accept a healthy balance between the two. Even with a 90 degree FOV, you can see outside of your sights, but not in OFP.
NotBillMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2001, 08:19 AM   #11
ShakKen
Specops Spook

OFP's Iron sights were too big. If you actually do aim though rifle sights you'd find they're much smaller in your field of vision because of the eye relief.

Our sights are further away from the screen because of an engine limitation of the UT renderer that will distort the mesh if moved closer to the screen.

(Otherwise don't you think we would have done it already? )

We are currently evaluating fixes for this.
Old 21st Oct 2001, 12:00 PM   #12
agent
I'm banned for
being a racist biggot!!

i did assume that it was in the works. but assumptions are not always consistent with reality. besides, maybe this post is at least some kind of an encouragment for the team.
Old 21st Oct 2001, 12:17 PM   #13
Gholam
Sergeant (Reserve), IDF

From my experience, using M16A1, iron sights don't really block much of your field of view, you simply focus on them and your mind ignores things outside the aperture. You can release your focus on sights and look around a fair by shifting your vision without moving your head, or weapon, or even opening the other eye, but it's completely impossible to model on a computer .
Gholam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Oct 2001, 01:47 PM   #14
Profe

true dat gholam...true dat.
Old 22nd Oct 2001, 04:10 AM   #15
LoTekK
Peon

hey shakken, does that mean you'll be including the flipsights on the m-16? (only time i ever used the large aperture was at night...)
thepinklamb: lmao
st0rmcaller: but then, I may wind up getting some. the kind of some no man wants
st0rmcaller: I shoulda moved to Nevada, not Vriginia. Nevada has whores.
st0rmcaller: Virginia is for lovers, but **** me if that means all the chicks are taken.
st0rmcaller: <---****ed.
---
st0rmcaller: If female, and under the age of 90, she's a ****in winner
thepinklamb: lol
st0rmcaller: Hey, I got to have SOME standards
st0rmcaller: mebbe 85
LoTekK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2001, 08:38 AM   #16
The_Fur
Back in black

looks a bit like the way Hostile Intent does it, looks great.

"Ignorance, and admiration arising from ignorance, are the parents of devotion and obedience"
-Dostoyevski

Last edited by The_Fur; 22nd Oct 2001 at 08:45 AM.
The_Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2001, 08:39 AM   #17
ShakKen
Specops Spook

LoTekK: No plans as yet.
Old 22nd Oct 2001, 10:44 AM   #18
LoTekK
Peon

Quote:
Originally posted by ShakKen
LoTekK: No plans as yet.
tease...
thepinklamb: lmao
st0rmcaller: but then, I may wind up getting some. the kind of some no man wants
st0rmcaller: I shoulda moved to Nevada, not Vriginia. Nevada has whores.
st0rmcaller: Virginia is for lovers, but **** me if that means all the chicks are taken.
st0rmcaller: <---****ed.
---
st0rmcaller: If female, and under the age of 90, she's a ****in winner
thepinklamb: lol
st0rmcaller: Hey, I got to have SOME standards
st0rmcaller: mebbe 85
LoTekK is offline   Reply With Quote