Will there be anymore Assault levels???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suicide_King

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
I don't know about you guys but the Assault levels are what really gets me going in UT! I love these friggin levels. My only disapointment is that there is not alot of them in UT. Are there plans to release anymore?? Please let me know of any plans for more assault levels. I truly feel things like the Assault levels put UT head and shoulders above a game like Q3.

------------------
The only time you must worry about is the one that strikes at six!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
That's absolutely true Bongzilla. And that is a good example.

All you Assaulters out there should learn the defense points and play as a team, with 2 or 3 lines of defense. Like he says, watch the bots do it, or open up a map on UnrealEd and look at the defense points. In this mode, the highest frag count doesn't matter. It's who defends and attacks as a team.

Someone needs to start an Assault website with tips for new players, so that we can all enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to those too, Narkybark!

[This message has been edited by hal (edited 12-02-1999).]

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Let's hope they come soon! Some of the teams on-line are finishing these levels in less than 1:00!! We definitely need a higher level of difficulty. ASFrigate is just about right. Anyone have a favorite Assault map?

buuster

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
The Assault mode is definitely sweet! I love the maps where you can have snipers hide out. We lan on average about 5 people but it host some of the greatest fire fights I've seen. Hope the assault maps come soon.

Spaceman

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
I agree Assault needs a little more of a challenge to it. There are a lot of talented mod and map makers out there and I am sure in a few weeks we will have many to choose from. I would like also to see the objectives be made more difficult or complex and maybe giving the defenders 10-15 second head start to get in postition. Still Assault still is my favorite game ype.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
yeah, a bit of a head start would be interesting, but only if there is some way of confining the defenders to an area until the attackers are in the game. Or at least giving the attackers better weapons than they do.

I'm thinking particularly of ASOverlord where it is possible to speed out to the beach as a defender and mow down attackers as they step out of the PT with their meager miniguns. Or the ever popular spawn-killer technique.

That said, it is one of the best modes in the game. Oh hell, they're ALL the best modes!

bongzilla

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Know why teams are finishing in under 1 min? Its cause the defenders suck and are not using teamwork. Something almost no one on the net has figured out is how to defend your base. Take overlord for example: after the attackers breach the beachhead everyone still stays in the foxholes and towers instead of moving to the boiler room. People need to learn how to defend their base.

Try an assault game with bots and watch how they defend the objectives. Once people start doing that on the net it would be much much better and more fun.

[OF]candyman

Nov 24, 1999
OHIO
www.iamapervert.com
Good points about defending a base but bots after an objective has been accomplished they default to the next location of defense...If you just killed all of the offensive team they start over at the begining in most of the maps.....This is where the problems with bots come in you need to go back to where they begin at..and trash them before they make it 3/4 the way back to the goal....the only exception to this is as-overlord I think in all the others they start back at the begining...the bots are waiting at the last check point allowing vaulable kill time to be wasted You are correct about team play that is a problem I have....waiting on others to help..I want to go and take over the base on my own.

Suicide_King

Nov 25, 1999
Visit site
Cool!!! I'm glad to hear all of this! Now my only question is hoe come there were so few Assault levels in the regular UT release???

bullet2.gif

The only time you must worry about is the one that strikes at six!

Superbooga

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
Offense is easier when you're playing with scrubs...Defense is easier when you're playing with good players.

On just about every map, a good defense is pretty much inpenetrable. Guardia is probably the best example. Just bunch 2-3 people and mow them down with rockets, flak, grenades, and shock combo blasts. If you run out of ammo just kill yourself or suicide charge at them. In Mazon and Rook, you can pretty much screw over everyone by just laying down a carpet of biosludge. I was on one team where we didn't even let the other team open the library for 2 minutes by laying sludge from the opening door to the switch.

Githianki

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
Totally hysterical that Steve's bots are so good, people are suggesting humans should take lessons from them!

If he saw this thread I am sure he'd be mighty pleased /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gif.

Thrakkorzog

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
The consummate teamplayer, huh Lanik? /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif

I hope as players learn all the strategic points on the map, they will act more appropriate and defend what needs to be defended, etc.

bullet2.gif

"It's 'Thrakkorzog'! With a 'K'!"

M

Morgan

About that Assault website:
I totally agree with Hal.

Teamwork is of the upmost essence in Assault mode; most of the players just run around shooting everything that moves.

I think there should be a strategy guide for these kind of play modes.

Lanik

Nov 27, 1999
Austin, TX USA
www.austinfd.com
Give it time...The game just came out. It was the same deal when CTF came out for Quake I. It was new, the newbies didn't know what they were suppossed to do. They'll learn. Just as in CTF, defense is the key to Assault.

I'm one of those people that run out to the beach in Overlord, hold the side hallway on the castle map, the hatch on the train map, etc /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif It's the only way to win.

LordSl@yer

Dec 3, 1999
Germany
Visit site
I think the bots suck in assault I play everytime in Skilled or above mode and finish near every map in under 1 min
(frigate,rook,ocean,hispeed)
just mazon and overlord are hard to beat but if you learn the defense points of the bots you can nail them perfectly and run though their defense line in no time.

ty_Fortune

What assault definately needs is a countdown.
In l-fire ctf for Quake 2 there is a server side option to set a countdown before each map starts. This gives everyone a chance to enter the level and start the game at the same time.
The main reason why I see people running through assault maps so quickly is not because people don't know how to defend(that's a problem too). It's that someone on the offense has already entered the game and completed most of the objectives before the defense has even loaded the map up. Yesterday I was playing and noticed how frustrating this is. I'm in a dorm on a meager p2 333 and have seen how much faster the game loads on my mom's 450 at home. Knowing that the other team will win just because they have faster computers really takes the fun out of it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.