News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Original Unreal Tournament

Old 10th Aug 2001, 06:10 PM   #1
EternalSpark
Fear Mah Leet Glasses

Wouldn't it have been nice to have an ending for UT?

I, personally, would have liked to see what would happen now that Xan is gone. Moreso, I'd like to see if Xan was a Robot or something. Personally, I think it would have been a shock if Xan was a Nali who got mutiliated by the Skaarj (losing his lower arms) and had to be rebuilt with robotic parts or something..

Granted, you might not think the whole Xan-as-Nali thing would work (it would have given the designers an excuse to use all the unreal1 textures and stuff), but I would have liked to seen an ending to UT, with a surprise or two..

Do you agree, that UT needed more of an ending? And if so, what would your ending be?
[21:51] <QAPete> Yeah. You're right, and you're brilliant.
Old 10th Aug 2001, 06:23 PM   #2
Mana
Aloha!

My ending...

After severing Xan's head with my trusty shock primary, his masked head falls and rolls on the floor. I look at it horrifically as the front of the mask explodes, revealing my own discombobulated facial expression!

Hmm....where have I seen this before?
Old 10th Aug 2001, 06:23 PM   #3
OshadowO
Irregular

most games I'd like to see an ending in but UT didn't bother me....probably because I was'nt expecting anything.
As for XAN I think he's a man who wears that suit of armour...I recall reading that in the manual or somewhere.

-shadow-
OshadowO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2001, 06:27 PM   #4
8-4-7-2

Re: My ending...

Quote:
Originally posted by Mana
Hmm....where have I seen this before?
Star Wars II - The Empire Strikes Back

It doesn't worry me too much either. As for Xan: He is either a human or a Skaarj in a suit. It was never told
8-4-7-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2001, 08:57 PM   #5
Cryognosis
might never have a icon

xan looks like hes a robot

if he isn't he must be human because

1.if he was a skaarj hybrid he would have a tail

2. no way in hell he could be a nali because he doesn't have 4 arms

3.another reason he can't be nali is because he doesn't speak the same language nalis speak

4.hes unquestionably not a warcow,there is no way in hell thats going to happen,so obvious that this paragaph shouldn't exist to at least tell you that

Last edited by Cryognosis; 10th Aug 2001 at 09:04 PM.
Cryognosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2001, 10:46 PM   #6
EternalSpark
Fear Mah Leet Glasses

Quote:
Originally posted by Ice Lord
if he was a skaarj hybrid he would have a tail
Not neccesarily. While all the Hybirds in the Tourny have tails, the possibility that some would not. But I doubt he would be a Hybrid.

Quote:
2. no way in hell he could be a nali because he doesn't have 4 arms
As I stated, he could have been mutilated by the Skaarj, losing 2 of his arms.

Quote:
3.another reason he can't be nali is because he doesn't speak the same language nalis speak
Technically, he looks like a robot - perhaps his suit would have a built in translator? Here's my idea about how Xan, possibly, could have been a Nali - if I had time to write a fanfic, this is what it would be.

'Xan' was a Nali taken as a Skaarj slave around the Unreal 1 time. He was stubborn and refused to work, even attacking a Skaarj. Losing the fight, he was crucified. He nearly died, but was found when a detachment of marines found him during the Return to Na Pali time. His lower arms were too atrophied to be any use, so they were amputated. To keep him alive the scientists onboard the marine's vessel gave him technological parts, and a built in translator. But basically, the humans treat him poorly like the Skaarj did, so he kills 'em. But nobody finds him and/or arrests him, and memory of this Nali fades, untill an upstart named Xan is fighting and winning a tournement. Nobody knows its a nali, cuz he wears a massive amount of armor.

Just my idea. I figured it would have been rather cool to see this as an end-of-UT video, where Xan, as he dies, tells your character all this.
Old 10th Aug 2001, 11:17 PM   #7
[IsP]KaRnAgE
You Can Be My Wingman

that would have been sucha cool twist.. That could have easily made the single player gaem so much more of an experience.
Someone should make a single player plus mod using that story line.

Argh but wait UT takes place a few centuries after Unreal doesnt it? The general story could stay the same, just dont make him from that time period
Don't screw around with me Maverick. You're a hell of an instinctive pilot. Maybe too good. I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You two characters are going to Top Gun.
[IsP]KaRnAgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Aug 2001, 11:26 PM   #8
Cryognosis
might never have a icon

Quote:
Originally posted by [IsP]KaRnAgE
that would have been sucha cool twist.. That could have easily made the single player gaem so much more of an experience.
Someone should make a single player plus mod using that story line.

Argh but wait UT takes place a few centuries after Unreal doesnt it? The general story could stay the same, just dont make him from that time period
but nalis could be immortal,or maybe the technological parts could have caused the same effect
Old 10th Aug 2001, 11:29 PM   #9
Cryognosis
might never have a icon

Quote:
Originally posted by EternalSpark
Losing the fight, he was crucified. He nearly died, but was found when a detachment of marines found him during the Return to Na Pali time. His lower arms were too atrophied to be any use, so they were amputated. To keep him alive the scientists onboard the marine's vessel gave him technological parts, and a built in translator.
the way the skaarj do it is they hang the nali by his upper arms,not his lower,so he would have his upper arms amputated
Old 10th Aug 2001, 11:40 PM   #10
[IsP]KaRnAgE
You Can Be My Wingman

hmm.. maybe a skaarj troopers razor jack cut them off? secondary fire Or it could have just been torture...
Don't screw around with me Maverick. You're a hell of an instinctive pilot. Maybe too good. I'd like to bust your butt but I can't. I got another problem here. I gotta send somebody from this squadron to Miramar. I gotta do something here, I still can't believe it. I gotta give you your dream shot! I'm gonna send you up against the best. You two characters are going to Top Gun.
[IsP]KaRnAgE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2001, 12:18 AM   #11
EternalSpark
Fear Mah Leet Glasses

Quote:
Originally posted by [IsP]KaRnAgE
hmm.. maybe a skaarj troopers razor jack cut them off? secondary fire Or it could have just been torture...
In my Idea If I Could Make It A FanFic, and the Curifixion idea didnt work (I never played much of Unreal), I would have said the ruining of the arms was symbolic for the nali people - if "Xan" wont work, he will be rendered useless - to a mere Two Armed Nali.
Old 11th Aug 2001, 01:42 AM   #12
The Xenonerd

Cool

I've always thought of Xan as some crazy old rich guy, the insane CEO of Liandri, who' s lost in his obsession with combat and the desire to be the greatest warrior in the world. He puts a large chunk of his fortune into building that battle suit in order to maintain his strength and speed as he ages. His mask makes his voice come out like some dead machine in order to unnerve his enemies.

After you defeat him in his Tournament, he doesn't give up however, he gives up his old battle-suit to you as a reward for showing him that he still has a ways to go and goes on to build a bigger, more powerful one, based on the technology of the Skaarj Warboss (provided you downloaded the Bonus Pack 4, ^_^) and returns to the world of battle with his Mark II suit to try and once again become the champion of DeathMatch.

That's what I've always imagined Xan as being like.
The Xenonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2001, 11:43 AM   #13
The Dopefish

Re: Re: My ending...

Quote:
Originally posted by 8-4-7-2
Star Wars II - The Empire Strikes Back
Nooo, Star Wars V.

The Dopefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th Aug 2001, 02:17 PM   #14
EternalSpark
Fear Mah Leet Glasses

Quote:
Originally posted by The Xenonerd
I've always thought of Xan as some crazy old rich guy, the insane CEO of Liandri, who' s lost in his obsession with combat and the desire to be the greatest warrior in the world. He puts a large chunk of his fortune into building that battle suit in order to maintain his strength and speed as he ages. His mask makes his voice come out like some dead machine in order to unnerve his enemies.

After you defeat him in his Tournament, he doesn't give up however, he gives up his old battle-suit to you as a reward for showing him that he still has a ways to go and goes on to build a bigger, more powerful one, based on the technology of the Skaarj Warboss (provided you downloaded the Bonus Pack 4, ^_^) and returns to the world of battle with his Mark II suit to try and once again become the champion of DeathMatch.

That's what I've always imagined Xan as being like.
Its a good view, but it doesnt shock or anything. Just listen to him - "I am the alpha and the omega" - this dude, no matter the species, is dead set on war.

I also like my ending cuz its ironic. A member of a typically pacifist people being the leader of a fighting tornament?