News UnrealEd Files Mods FragBU Liandri Archives
BeyondUnreal Forums

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > BeyondUnreal > Games > Unreal Tournament Series > Original Unreal Tournament

Old 5th Aug 2001, 06:35 PM   #1
bryansforum

HELP, I am getting frustrated and need some answers.

The problem is, that I get terrible performance from unreal tournament. In direct3d I got a max of 30 fps average and it looked like crap. So i went with opengl instead and I got higher fps and it looked better, I got an average of 40fps on Facing worlds...but it wasnt stable at all, at times it would dip down to 10fps for a bit then shoot up to 50 (when im facing a wall or something). It really isnt playable and i think it should be with my setup...I also have the newest drivers from via, 12.90 detonators, changed my aperature size all around from 4 megs to 256 and everything in between. I tweaked my registry settings for my card. Done everything i possibly can think of. I searched the forums a million times and finally I am posting this damn message out of pure anger for some answers. please help.

My system:
550mhz Via kx133a chipset (Slot A).
Asus K7V mother board.
256 megs of ram (DIMM?).
Creative Labs Anihilator 2 GTS 32meg.
Creative PCI128 soundcard.
bryansforum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2001, 07:31 PM   #2
Rooster
Local Legend

Hi - welcome to PuF.

Well, first, you need to tell us what settings you have on/off. Type in preferences at the console. Jot down what your renderer settings are (for your particular display mode; ie, D3D or OpenGL).

You'll probably be happier playing at 800x600.

I got slightly better than that when I had my Voodoo3 on a P3-450-500 - but UT is made for Glide (and therefore Voodoo cards).

My Rig(s)
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2001, 08:04 PM   #3
JuiceEggsMcKenna
MC68060/50

First, if you haven't already done so:

1. Install the latest VIA 4in1 chipset driver from http://www.via.com.tw

2. Install UT patch v436

3. Install the UT post-436 beta OpenGL driver from http://unreal.epicgames.com be sure to follow the instructions in the readme!
Case took a pink handset from its cradle and punched a Hong Kong number from memory. He let it ring five times, then hung up. His buyer for the three megabytes of hot RAM in the Hitachi wasn't taking calls.
JuiceEggsMcKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2001, 08:07 PM   #4
Rooster
Local Legend

Oh yeah, for OpenGL - use the latest dll's from Epic - D3D - stay away from it!

I don't recommend you load VIA's AGP miniport driver - use AMD's.

My Rig(s)
Old 5th Aug 2001, 08:14 PM   #5
Flare123

what resolution are you running UT at also? for your CPU speed and other computer specs you should be running the game at 800x600.

and what kinda CPU is that? I think you mean athlon or something, and you dont have DIMM ram.
Flare123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2001, 09:01 PM   #6
bryansforum

Yeah its an athlon...and i dont think i should have a problem running it at 1024x768. with a steady fps around 40? or is it normal to get 10 fps most of the time at 1024x768?
Old 5th Aug 2001, 09:36 PM   #7
Rooster
Local Legend

Actually, 1024x768 ... dipping to 10 is pretty standard for your setup.

I knew you had an Athlon, so I didnt worry about it.

And I know you are using SDRAM DIMMS (contrary to what Flare has to say).

40's would be your high, average high... firefight will drag you down.

Turn off Curved Surfaces, and Volumetric Lighting - your FPS should improve.

If those are off (since you haven't posted your settings yet, I don't know what to tell you man)... then you may be hosed.

My Rig(s)
Old 5th Aug 2001, 10:03 PM   #8
Sir Questor=UTK=
Skilled

Try http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/ut/index.shtml

Rooster. Those drivers from AMD. They make any difference? Got a link?
Sir Questor=UTK= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2001, 10:24 PM   #9
Rooster
Local Legend

AMD Download page

My Rig(s)
Old 5th Aug 2001, 10:39 PM   #10
Brute_Force

Funny i should see a post on this card .I purchased that card a year ago and just re-installed it today.I couldnt get it to run for the life of me a year ago[albeit i had a p3 500 mhz].I got it to work after three driver tries[the newest creative ones]..and my framerates are quite good[p3 900mhz]minimum 60 fps-100fps.You shouldnt be using any drivers other than the 6.??'s....i think this card is quite weird however as it is very unstable[3 times playing ut]and once it shut down with an error.I believe the creative drivers use some version of nvidia 6.50...NVIDIA has released 6.73 drivers[perhaps more stable].
Brute_Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Aug 2001, 10:44 PM   #11
Rooster
Local Legend

I went from 6.50 to 12.40 to 12.90 - all showed major improvement (the 10.0.x series were horrible for me).

12.40 is the latest nVidia official drivers. If you have an Athlon or P3 - I highly recommend you get them.

My Rig(s)
Old 5th Aug 2001, 11:01 PM   #12
I_B_Bangin
habitual line stepper

Welcome to PuF

I will preach Heaven and beat the hell out of you!
I_B_Bangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2001, 12:01 AM   #13
bryansforum

ok i did what you all said, i even dropped the res to 800x600 and then i tried face, my average fps was 32 at 800x600...this is pathetic. all the options to improve visual quality are off as you can see in this screen shot of my preferences...i am OUT OF IDEAS. and pretty angry at this point...
Old 6th Aug 2001, 03:52 PM   #14
anterobs
Fast and Furious

Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceEggsMcKenna
2. Install UT patch v436
My problem with the 436 patch may be quite rare, but I had it with both my new and old video cards. My D3D mode became a windowed-only software mode, and I was getting around 1/2 fps in OpenGL. and I get 120+ fps in Quake II OpenGL at the same resolution...

I gave up upgrading it, since it's working fine in D3D now.
anterobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Aug 2001, 03:56 PM   #15
anterobs
Fast and Furious

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by bryansforum
all the options to improve visual quality are off as you can see in this screen shot of my preferences...
Actually you are with coronas, high detail actors and volumetric light activaded...
anterobs is offline   Reply With Quote