One-key dodging solved...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

HR_DrBasta

[ dentist-like ]
Feb 7, 2001
Croatia
www.hrsquad.net
It's been bugging me since UT hit my hard disk. I wanted to know is one-key dodging possible. So, I tried some various combinations and nothing worked. By that time I learned & mastered "natural" dodging (tap-tap) and I forgot about that one-key stuff. Then it just come to my mind, I tried and it worked!

So, is it posible to do one-key dodging in UT? Well, all I can say is yes and no :D
You can't bind (or alias or script...) one-key dodging to be performed with your keyboard (as far as I know) BUT you can make a macro and can perform that one-key dodging with your mouse.
How did I do it? Well let's say that I used some "driver overdrive" :D
First, you need to have USB mouse with additional buttons. I have IntelliMouse Optical and it works just fine with it. Then go to Razer site www.razerzone.com and download latest drivers for Boomslang and instal that mouse drivers. You need to be sure that you instaled drivers corectly. View the readme.txt for that. So, after you instaled Razer drivers (you need to see Karna USB mouse in Settings--> Control Panel--> Mouse --> Hardware). Dont't get scared when system tells you that these drivers are not for your mouse, everything will be OK (atleast, it was OK on my system ). After you instaled it corectly fire up Razer configuration program in tray. Than just made a macro with it; example - for button 4 (thumb button) press twice you left strafe key and for button 5 (small finger button) press twice your right strafe key. Apply changes and start UT to see if it works. When you hit button 4 you dodge left and whe you hit button 5 you dodge right. If it doesn't work, use some more h4x0rZ skills and try again, it must work :D

So, after that "quest for the holy grail" do I use that one-key dodging? Well, no. No because I can dodge regulary like a madman now and I don't need that; I'm so accustomed with my commands and I don't want to change them. But when I was a n00bie I would surely liked that one-key dodging :D Try it if you want, if your dodging sux you may do better with that macro.

I just wanted to write this because I taught (and maybe many of you :D ) that one-key dodging is some kind of divine intervention but actualy it isn't. If you know how to dodge, then that one-key dodging doesn't mean jack :D So, no I can go to sleep like a happy person and know that one-key dodging is possible :D I hope that you know what I mean cause my english is not so good :)

P.S. Sorry if you allready knew that.

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
A while back I tried to make a 1-key-dodge with the help of keyboard macro program. I got it to work, but no matter which macro tool I used, there was always a slight delay between pressing the key and the execution of the command. This was very annoying. Furthermore I wasted 2 keys for the dodging keys. In the end I decided that it's better to learn manual dodging. Meanwhile I can do it well and am happy with that. :)

barfretchpuke

Dec 20, 1999
Visit site
DrSin has stated before that a one-button dodge bind is possible. I haven't been able to figure it out.
It's pretty easy to make a client-side hack that allows you to do continuous one-button dodges (no delay between dodges). But CSHP would stop it and I have no desire to try and get around CSHP.

The dodger mutator has to be run on a server.

REeeE{skullface}

p-REeeE-dictable
Feb 28, 2001
SF, CA
Visit site
you could have a touch pad attatched to your seat, one for the left ass cheak and one for the right ass cheack.

tighten the right cheak and dodge right, tighten the left and dodge left?

had too

peace
ree

ION_Ace

Assault player
Dec 26, 2000
Behind you
www.clan-ion.com
DrSin has stated before that a one-button dodge bind is possible. I haven't been able to figure it out.
It's pretty easy to make a client-side hack that allows you to do continuous one-button dodges (no delay between dodges). But CSHP would stop it and I have no desire to try and get around CSHP.

The dodger mutator has to be run on a server.

read the post, it's a client side thing and external so cshp can't do ****

MxFxSunrise

Jul 21, 2000
Looking in from the outside
Just my opinion. . . .

It is useful. I mean how hard is it really to control 2 extra keys???
Personally I do the old fashioned way, but only because I am used to it. I think that when you go to that level of detail to put a command in (installing drivers, macro progies ect.) it also becomes a issue of unfair play . . . AKA CHEATING . >_<

rhakka

a.k.a. Zeus, ruler o' the universe
May 6, 2000
portland,ME,USA
www.teamplay.net
barf's modifier idea would be the only true enhancement to dodging, if you can hold down one key and then dodge in any direction that would be easier.

otherwise, changing buttons and such... you can definitely hit a key twice faster than hitting another key. and you're not restricted to certain dodging directions, believe it or not forward and back dodging is very handy at times.

of course, using a modifier key isn't really "one key dodging" strictly but it's a similiar affect.