Unreal and In Pursuit of Greed

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kurgan

Dec 5, 1999
IA, USA
www.jediknight.net
A question for any afficianados out there.

I remember playing the demo (in fact I still have it on CD) of the much anticipated (yet disapointing) "In Pursuit of Greed" by Channel 7 (released in 1996). The theme music was unforgettable though. A great techno, sci-fi track.

Anyway, when I was playing through the entire (looooong) single player campaign for Unreal, I noticed the Greed theme music playing in one of the later levels, I think it was the Mothership.

So, does anyone know how it got there? Was someone from Channel 7 working with the Unreal team, or what?

Btw, I loved the story that developed in the SP campaign, although towards the end it was very anti-climactic, and there were some dull spots. The Dark battles were righteous though!

Kurgan
[Edit: old email addy removed]

Last edited:

Hellscrag

UnrealSP'er
Nov 10, 1999
Bristol, England
www.hellscrag.net
I don't know the origins of the music, all I know is that the music was great.

I must take this opportunity to say again how cool the SP plot was with its story etc. Yes, the ending was an anticlimax, the Mothership was a bit boring /~unreal/ubb/html/frown.gif

bullet2.gif

Hellscrag, Unreal single player nut :) , a.k.a. [SkW]Deathwish in DM.
Email me hellscrag@lineone.net
Check my website http://surf.to/scragsite for Unreal Walkthroughs and other cool stuff.

Kurgan

Dec 5, 1999
IA, USA
www.jediknight.net
It's been a long time, so hopefully nobody gets mad, but I finally found out who did the music and I listen to it in my car now. ;)

It's a techno artist Andrew Sega, known as "Necros" who did the music for GREED that was also used in Unreal. Great stuff!

Nice article from Mobygames summurizing things:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,840/

Developer BIO

Andrew G. Sega, a.k.a Necros, is a living legend in the tracking scene. One of the more skilled and reknowned musicians in the scene, Andrew has been writing music since around 1992 and had become particularly active with Epidemic, a scene music disk released in 1995 and featuring talents such as Purple Motion (Jonne Valtonen) and Skaven (Peter Hajba).

Andrew later helped form the legendary tracking group Five Musicians, which is active even today and features equally legendary talents such as Jeroen Tel, Basehead and Hunz. He is also responsible for several demoscene productions (such as Assembly '95 demo Eden) and later in his amazingly versatile career started making music for games, beginning with little known ones such as Greed, through guest appearances in Unreal and Unreal Tournament and finally the amazing music for Origin's Crusader: No Regret.

(contributed by Tomer Gabel)
Andrew Sega is also known as:
Andy Sega
Necros (Demoscene handle)

MobyGames Auto-Generated Summary *:
Andrew Sega was credited on a game as early as 1995 and as recently as 2003. His/Her career probably spans more years than those displayed since these dates are based on the credits documented in MobyGames (which are incomplete). Andrew Sega has been credited with the roles Sound, Programming and Support. Andrew Sega has been credited on games developed by the following companies: Digital Anvil, Epic MegaGames, Inc., ORIGIN Systems Inc., Digital Extremes and Mind Shear Software. This does not imply employment by these companies.
Games Credited
Freelancer (2003), Microsoft Game Studios
Conquest: Frontier Wars (2001), Ubisoft Entertainment
Unreal Tournament (1999), Atari, Inc.
Unreal (1998), Atari, Inc.
Wing Commander: Prophecy (1997), Electronic Arts Inc.
Crusader: No Regret (1996), ORIGIN Systems Inc.
Crusader: No Remorse (1995), ORIGIN Systems Inc.
In Pursuit of Greed (1995), Softdisk Publishing
Xixit (1995), Optik Software, Webfoot Technologies, Inc.

Hope that helped some people, even though I answered my own question, years later. ;)

Turboman

deRegistered user
May 4, 2002
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Visit site
Hellscrag said:
the Mothership was a bit boring

how dare you!
the mothership is l33t, it was one of the best levels in the game.

also i think the music at the end was called erosion, if thats what you mean (it was also downloadable on the old page of straylight if i remember)

ps, does anyone know if sandman and necros the same person?

Last edited:

dinwitty

DeRegistered User
Nov 10, 1999
midwest,USA
www.qtm.net
Trying to identify what tunes your hearing, I have the tunes extracted,
the titles have actually the author names on it, or some of them.

Isotoxin is clearly labeled Necro's work.

Night Vision (K_Vision) might be Necros' work but the info in it isnt clear.

I noticed Alexander Brandon's music has a certain thematic style that runs thru all his works, the same can be said for Necros at it seems to have similar styles
in the above link and Isotoxin,

K_Vision sounds more like the greed tune, but I think its totally different composed tunes.

kool tunes

UnrealPschyo

TCA Commander
Jul 24, 2005
Kurgan said:
A question for any afficianados out there.

I remember playing the demo (in fact I still have it on CD) of the much anticipated (yet disapointing) "In Pursuit of Greed" by Channel 7 (released in 1996). The theme music was unforgettable though. A great techno, sci-fi track.

Anyway, when I was playing through the entire (looooong) single player campaign for Unreal, I noticed the Greed theme music playing in one of the later levels, I think it was the Mothership.

So, does anyone know how it got there? Was someone from Channel 7 working with the Unreal team, or what?

Btw, I loved the story that developed in the SP campaign, although towards the end it was very anti-climactic, and there were some dull spots. The Dark battles were righteous though!

Kurgan
[Edit: old email addy removed]
*snap* Knew it. A collabration.

Kail

mapper, designer and unreal fan
Feb 3, 2001
Sweden
Visit site
I really recommend The Alpha Conspiracy, some of the best alternative electronica ever come out. Andrew Sega is an awesome talent. Also, if you're into synthpop, check out Iris, his collaboration with Reagan Jones. Great synthpop band! I've followed Andrew ever since I stumbled upon Unreal, collecting his tracker files for years. You can see his style all over it.

Alex Brandon, also mentioned here, is another favorite. I believe he wrote "K_Vision", credited as Sandman/KFM, Kosmic Free Music foundation. However he is usually known by the handle Siren. A group of trackers. They released several "music discs". I believe you can download them from scene.org. Alex's music has more of a pop flavor, often techno themes but powerful and catchy melodies. Just listen to the Jazz Jackrabbit 2 songs, you'll fall in love right away with it, listening to it over and over again, heck, what an awesome game that is! Alex might just be my favorite tracker of all time.

EDIT:
Necros's stuff, listen using ModPlug Player, I believe it can play the ZIP files as they are:
http://www.scene.org/dir.php?dir=/music/artists/necros/

FM music:
http://www.scene.org/dir.php?dir=/music/groups/fm/

Some by Siren:
http://www.modarchive.com/artists/siren/

KFM:
http://kosmic.darkscape.net/archives/

Last edited: