Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences Registration is free! Calendar Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Home

Go Back   BeyondUnreal Forums > Mods > Infiltration > General Infiltration Discussion

Old 1st Nov 1999, 06:32 PM   #1
Darkliege

knives

I'm a little skeptical on how well you are going to be able to implement the knives. Unless you can make the knife go in front of your victim (you are behind and you knife disapears in front of their neck) or have the knife stick out of the back or neck, it won't look very realistic. Or wait! maybe if you are behind someone a mode would automaticly toggle. So when you stab him, it would into the side of the neck and part of the blade would disappear and there would be a damge skin showing the hole. And when you are in front, you'd make a simple thrust and a hole would appear. This would probably take up too much coding time and animation time, but it was just a thought on my mind

Darkliege

------------------
How many chunks can a drunk guy spew
if a drunk guy could spew chunks?
Old 1st Nov 1999, 10:16 PM   #2
Warren

Re: knives

This is near impossible with the current state of Unreal animation.. I think we would have an easier time if they used a skeletal animation system, but since that's not the case, we'll just have to improvise. I've read somewhere one of the best ways to kill a guy from behind with a knife is to stab it into the side of the neck, then twist- which spills blood into the vital organs, keeping the victim from screaming and warning others, let alone killing him quickly. Of course I'll do more research, but there isn't going to be an easy way to show off something like this. Playing online, it's fairly doubtful you'll be able to sneak up on someone from behind-- most people check their six quite often. For bots, it may be different, but again, we'll cross that road when we come to it. What would be sweet is if you snuck up on someone, close enough to get a neck kill, the game pulls away and shows both players from the 3rd person perspective, and you can watch your character impale the other's neck- like some mortal kombat kill..